Why do you like NEO GEO so much?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I will always appreciate the Neo because of what it represents -- zero compromise. It reminds me a lot of PC gaming today. It's the platform where those who can afford it are not held back by the lowest common denominator (at least in many cases).

Less intellectually and more emotionally, I remember the first time I played Samurai Shodown. I always felt it was the first legitimate challenger to SFII with the weapons and music really setting it apart.

benimaru7

New Challenger
It really did trample the competition back in 90's. Also the length of time games were released, 12 years was a good run.
The unique style SNK put into their games from the drawing to the humour.

I was lucky enough to have traded a Super Nes with games for a Neo with Fatal Fury, man I spent hours playing that game! I remember looking through Electronic Gaming Monthly (import as I live in the UK) and drooling over the Samurai Showdown feature, a fighting game with weapons, which was a new idea back then lol! I just don't get the same excitement with PS4 releases as I did back then, probably why I still collect Neo stuff.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
In my mind Neo misses just one entire genre, the so called action jump'n run, as in Strider, Shinobi or, to a lasser degree, Haunting Castle... and don't even try to mention Ganryu. Any Famicom game of that sort is light years better; look no further than Kabuki Quantum Fighter, Power Blade 1&2, the above mentioned Strider, Zen, Totally Rad, Akumajo 1 etc. etc.

Granted, there is the geriatric ML, but get out of here... it's so ecstatically slow and ingeniously wooden with its low fps, nah... it's hardly the Slug in this genre, not even a Cyber-Lip for that matter. And that's exactly, where I'd see a homebrew extravaganza, but as it seems, it's out of reach for those programming wannabees... no wonder, if one looks back at the production values of Strider Hiryu.
True...somewhat.

First off Ganryu is a good game, my guess is you probably haven't spent much time with it but hey I understand. Ganryu has more in common with titles like Hagane than Shinobi, the speed and mobility of the character is more in par with games other than strider and what have you. Would I love to see a Strider type of game in the Neo? Of course! Who wouldn't?! Kabuki Quantum Fighter is not in the same genre with Ganryu, that's like saying Castlevania and Strider are the same thing, 2 total different games with the same premise, run and jump, but as you see not in the same category, or at least not the same speed.

I'm not defending the Neo, it's missing quite a lot of territory in this run and jump genre and so mny other good genres. The system it's a victim of the times, once fighting games brought the arcade scene back from its slumber most companies where doomed to follow in order to stand relevant and make money in order to keep making games. There's no excuse for the lack of games in the awesome action genre that is Ninja Gaiden and the sort but hey, they're not the only system lacking on that, there are other several arcade systems lacking that too.

I don't care about the home system, the Neo is primarily an arcade system, with that in mind, the games are tailored towards that purpose.

benimaru7

New Challenger
I would love more games that aren't beat-em ups on the neo, it's a shame that became the dominant style as more shooters would have been welcome, viewpoint and last resort were great and I'm surprised they didn't do more. I guess you have to enjoy what they did, maybe a home brew dev will come along and fill in the gaps?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
lol @ beat 'em ups, you fucking European fucks can't get your genres straight for shit.

lol @ homebrew dev coming in and filling the gaps, you really are out of the loop, bigtime.

lol @ noobs with shit sigs.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
First off Ganryu is a good game, my guess is you probably haven't spent much time with it but hey I understand.

Thanks for relieving me of that game ;). It was laziness, my whole breakup with Ganryu. You know that thing you say, "it's nobody's fault." It's one of that great lies, right? Someone is always to blame -- if you go for it, go for it like you do a job, work at it...

...then again, maybe love shouldn't be such hard work? I mean, after spending just one second with Shinobi, Strider & co. I instantly fell in love with these games and to love them, I did not need to... stick.

Kabuki Quantum Fighter is not in the same genre with Ganryu, that's like saying Castlevania and Strider are the same thing, 2 total different games...

Well, one could talk about genre definitions endlessly... for me those games are defined by the addition of slashing/throwing to the jump'n run formula. Your chara has something in his hand, or hair for that matters, which caters for distance to the AI. This is a crucial element along with this specific pace, you mentioned. But your point is just as valid to me, as mine so...

I don't care about the home system, the Neo is primarily an arcade system, with that in mind, the games are tailored towards that purpose.

That is why I love the home system, it was unique. MVS on it's own though, was just another arcade concept... providing multiple slots wasn't as revolutionary as throwing the arcades onto a home sweet home tatami. It made all our dreams come true and that's where the legend is to be found.

Anyway, Strider was '89 and CPS-1 wasn't light years away from MVS, as FF2 is competitive to SFII. A Strider game could & should have been done. You're spot on, not defending the Neo ElectricGrave.

benimaru7

New Challenger
lol @ beat 'em ups, you fucking European fucks can't get your genres straight for shit.

lol @ homebrew dev coming in and filling the gaps, you really are out of the loop, bigtime.

Lol @ fucks like you with nothing constructive to add, at least make a point rather than trying to put people down. I would respond to your criticism but you obviously have bigger issues to deal with.

I knew there was a reason I've been a member but made so few posts over the years...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Time for your happy pills.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lol @ fucks like you with nothing constructive to add, at least make a point rather than trying to put people down. I would respond to your criticism but you obviously have bigger issues to deal with.

I knew there was a reason I've been a member but made so few posts over the years...
I tell you what, when you actually have something substantial to say, I promise I'll make an effort to have a convo with you, right now, you're not really bringing anything worth a while into the table, so fuck off, know you're game terminology and catch up with the times.

Here's the olive branch since you're so bent out of shape.

1) Beat 'em ups is a loose term, given that we're in an international forum the least you can do is acknowledge that Fighting games is the right term and that Beat 'em ups can be mistaken as brawlers. Remember when they used to say "The ways of England are the ways of the world"? That was over 300 years ago, time to catch up.

2) Homebrew Developers have come in and filled some gaps with some games that are loved and hated by the community, NG Dev, look it up, educate yourself a little. Maybe you might find something worth looking forward to.

3) Your sig sucks, I dunno what to tell you, it just does. I don't like your stupid cheers, your smiley face and I can't give three shits what your name is. I know is a personal preference and as such I should be free to say whatever the fuck I want about it.

So with all that said, it seems to me you're doing next to no effort to be part of the community, so you made a trip to japan and want to share your shit with us, cool, have at it, but maybe you should stick to threads like that and avoid talking about shit you know nothing about, you fucking noob.

...oh...
PS2V7lR.png

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member

If over the years you still haven't made through the "Praxis stage" , then I'm sorry for you.
You might have not much to add.
It's been like this since almost forever.

In Rome, be a Roman.

benimaru7

New Challenger
I tell you what, when you actually have something substantial to say, I promise I'll make an effort to have a convo with you, right now, you're not really bringing anything worth a while into the table, so fuck off, know you're game terminology and catch up with the times.

Here's the olive branch since you're so bent out of shape.

1) Beat 'em ups is a loose term, given that we're in an international forum the least you can do is acknowledge that Fighting games is the right term and that Beat 'em ups can be mistaken as brawlers. Remember when they used to say "The ways of England are the ways of the world"? That was over 300 years ago, time to catch up.

2) Homebrew Developers have come in and filled some gaps with some games that are loved and hated by the community, NG Dev, look it up, educate yourself a little. Maybe you might find something worth looking forward to.

3) Your sig sucks, I dunno what to tell you, it just does. I don't like your stupid cheers, your smiley face and I can't give three shits what your name is. I know is a personal preference and as such I should be free to say whatever the fuck I want about it.

So with all that said, it seems to me you're doing next to no effort to be part of the community, so you made a trip to japan and want to share your shit with us, cool, have at it, but maybe you should stick to threads like that and avoid talking about shit you know nothing about, you fucking noob.

...oh...
PS2V7lR.png

Thanks for that, hope you feel better for it.

What are you doing that's so great and supportive towards the community?
As you aren't exactly encouraging people to join the community and contribute, more like trying to push them away because their knowledge and terminology isn't the same as your own - get over yourself, this forum has members beyond the U.S.

Isn't it ironic telling someone to get with the times when the games came out in the 90s. Maybe you should avoid talking shit for a change.

Oh and Ganryu is not a good game, what are you smoking! Shinobi on Megadrive was far more memorable.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
EG is just a salty cunt with ADHD who hates RPGs, don't mind him.
Without Sylvie's cock to guide him his whole life falls apart :keke:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
look at Doc siding with noobs, lol what a sap.

Hey Ben, you're a douche, you know this, so stop pretending. Check it out; Doc is siding with you, soon you'll see the sort of POS he is, nothing but a menial member that lives for the thrill of douching around and encouraging dumb fucks like yourself to express themselves solely 'cause you're against me.

What am I doing? Just my presence alone is enough, but pass that fact I have done more than you'll ever do in here in 3 lifetimes, so don't worry too much about my purpose here. I'm sorta like Megatron from Beast Machines, just want to purge the douchebags out of the equation in order to have a clean and efficient cybertron, free from rodents, free from organic douches that know nothing about the games they profess to love.

This forum has more members than just the US, and I agree, I made that point and told you this was an international forum thus get your shit straight when talking to everyone, geez what a fucken turd.

Your "games came out in the 90's" argument is so stupid, I'm simply gonna skip over that 'cause it ain't even worth it.

Ganryu is good, I know it's sad for you 'cause the casual gamer gimp can't get past the first stage but hey keep on trucking being awesome you...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Stop getting angry about things that don't matter, idiot.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm not angry, I'm just annoyed with your new boyfriend.

Let the noobs in and flood the place with stupid shit, I know that's how you like it, it makes you feel right at home.

benimaru7

New Challenger
Anyway.... Back on topic!
I always liked how you could play in the arcade, save it then continue where you left off at home. I used to play Viewpoint a lot and it was the only way I finally completed it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Please tell us more about how you infinite credit your way through viewpoint, Ben.

benimaru7

New Challenger
Never completed that game in a credit, the skull boss was hardest in the entire game. I have huge respect for anyone that can.
But I could get up to the skull boss in a credit, before repeatedly dying against his 4th face.

benimaru7

New Challenger
I always get caught out by the spinning faces that cross over on the 4th face, the 3rd I mastered and I don't use bombs at all. Guess I will have to perfect that turn you mention as 3 bombs on the 4th face wasn't enough!