Why do you like NEO GEO so much?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Why Neo? For me, Its the effort put into making the games. Its like the best that SNES / Genesis had to offer x100. The colors, the graphics, the intro screens, the goofy extra shit in the metal slug series to the complete randomness of Captain Tomaday...lots to love

what does this mean

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
As a youngster, Samsho was a favorite fighting game alongside the SF2, MK, VF games. In high school we had a bigred w/metalslug, shocktroopers, bust-a-move, and neo turf masters in the pizza parlor that was our regular lunch spot.

Now a days just KoF98 and Magical Drop2/3 are all I need on Neo-Geo.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Best single system for low res 2d arcade games. Perfect representation of everything great (and bad) with the 16 bit arcade games, all turned up to 11, whilst still being 'true' in terms of technical limitations. All-in before higher resolutions/larger bit depths/sophisticated audio/video hardware changed the craft.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Best single system for low res 2d arcade games. Perfect representation of everything great (and bad) with the 16 bit arcade games, all turned up to 11, whilst still being 'true' in terms of technical limitations. All-in before higher resolutions/larger bit depths/sophisticated audio/video hardware changed the craft.

This! Nailed it!

poulet

Quiz Detective
I discovered the neo geo with my brother at the time of its release. Magician Lord, samurai spirits, Nam 75. The slap! I remember , I sold twenty megadrive games to play samurai spirit 1. I always kept it and play with.

For me at this point in my life collecting and playing old video games is about nostalgia. There was no way I could afford a Neo-Geo back when I was a kid and no one I knew had one, so for me the Neo-Geo experience was 100% arcade. When I was an adolescent arcades were so cool to me. I don't know about where you grew up but in my area arcades weren't exactly classy places. This was the late 80's/early 90's and they were filled with shitty metal heads and punk rockers (imagine that arcade in Robocop). Much of my young life was was shaped by those scumbags<3.
Music, skateboarding etc.

A majority of the games I found my self interested in were on the MVS. They looked and sounded great and furthermore the "coolest" kids in the arcade were always around the MVS machines. I made friends via the MVS. The first I heard some of my favorite bands was standing at an MVS. When I go back and play Neo-Geo games the sensory recollection is a very strong one. It was the birth of my rebellion as a young adult. Nintendo gave me Christmas mornings memories. SNK gave me memories of my first beer, my first awkward make out session, and my first fist fight.

Oh AND THAT FUCKING BOOT SCREEN.

WHAT BANDS?

I can very distinctly remember the first time I heard Pantera was in an arcade It was right around the time MKII came out. A lot of gateway punk bands like Bad Religion and Black Flag, starter thrash metal bands like Metallica Megadeth and Anthrax. All these bands were pretty much the gateway drug for heavy music for me. It was also where I got exposed to a lot of east coast rap: I am from the west coast.

Basically arcades and skate videos taught me about music.