Attempt at a video game background...

BoogerBall

n00b
This is my attempt at creating an old school style video game background, it is a small pic (224p) as I was trying to stay true to the display resolution of older game consoles but hopefully its big enough for you to make out the details:

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Dude, that's amazing. Did you translate this from a source image? That's nuts!

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
That looks awesome, I especially like the shading on the tree. You have some serious talent.

Paiku

Crazed MVS Addict
Nice work!

That's a pretty large pixel art scene. Quite a workload!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wow, very detailed, good stuff. Those rocks in the background are off the hook.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Very nice.

If you can master the animation aspect too (tree blowing, sky moving dynamically, grass moving etc), I don't see why you couldn't contribute towards any upcoming 2D fighter projects.

if you can do that, is realising character designs into 2D such a stretch...?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Looks very nice. A little animation with a few nice touches (sky, trees moving, a few leaves blowing off etc) and it'll look awesome.

BoogerBall

n00b
Thanks for the kind words guys.

@sparksterz - No, there was no source image, just kinda made it up as I went, I started with the tree and just kept adding stuff around it until it became an entire landscape. This pic took ages and to be honest I almost gave up on it at several points during the course of it's creation because it seemed to be taking too long and it wasn't coming out the way I wanted, but I just kept at it and continued to pixel away until it started to resemble something I was sufficiently happy with.

@NeoGeoNinja and pulstar - Oh, believe me I'd love to animate it, that's one of the first things I thought about as soon as I finished the pic, but that will be a lot of work, animation is very labor intense and I don't know if I have the patience for that but I'd love to. Also, I do plan on attempting some character designs in the future.

One thing I will say is that it was a great learning experience and I feel more confident going into my next pic which is in the works.

BoogerBall

n00b
I must have accidentally hit one of the emoticons, that angry face was not intentional, thanks again everyone.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Nice work, I like the layout a lot! Work some shading on the hill, it will add depth, the light source would work best if it's on the left 'cause given the shape of everything your shading would be best on the right. Is this a fighting game background? If it is the grass around the tree needs to be closer to the tree otherwise it will look awkward as the sprites step near it.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Nice! Love the detail on that big tree. Needs a character snoozing under it!

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Looks cool. Are you trying to match the color palette of a specific console/boardset?

(Also, backgrounds from fighting games are typically a bit taller than the screen - so they can scroll vertically a bit if the characters jump. )

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Very nice work dude, it's quite evident the amount of time that must have gone into this. Will be looking forward to your next one!

BoogerBall

n00b
@ElectricGrave - Thanks for the advice, any little bit helps as I want to improve.

@SpamYouToDeath - No, I wasn't really trying to match the palette of any specific console/boardset but that's something I should definitely think about for future backgrounds. Also, you are right of course, the background should be a bit taller, I believe most were 240p (much taller for the games with super jumps), I'll have to make sure to incorporate that as well in future bg's.

Thanks for commenting

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
That is so impressive, love how authentic it looks, like straight out of an old fighting game.

BoogerBall

n00b
@Neodogg

Hey, sorry for the late response, it was mostly done in MS paint, but I brought it over to photoshop for some color adjustment.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
awesome job! I feels the nostalgia.

CowboyCrocket

Rugal's Thug
Kind of looks like it'd be in Capcom's Knights of the Round. Not sure if era wise it'd be in the time frame of the game but it does have the look of an old arcade bg so good work.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Thats some beautiful art man !! Like others mentioned id love to see it animated that tree is just gorgeous. What was the total time on this?