Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think that's why it's probably best to buy from an american middleman. I got mine off ebay, paid a little more but was the correct version and worked better than I expecting having owned a Blue Elf(got in trade).

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm not saying that aren't worth the cost or anything. But people should keep their expectations in check. I don't think anyone is gonna start selling off their PCB collection because they got a "sweet deal" on a Pandora's Box board. I suppose even if just a couple games are good then it's worth the money.

What pisses me off the most is the bootlegging of an already questionable device. Seems like there are multiple versions of these things floating around and unless you buy from the exact same seller, you have no idea what you may be getting. And even then it's a crap shoot.

It's not a crapshoot at all. You order the one that looks like a ps4, you get the Pandora. If you order the generic square one that looks like an MVS cart, you get the bootleg. I didn't buy mine from the seller listed in this thread, I bought mine off newegg. Just compare the pictures before buying and you'll be fine. This board is pretty great for $60. It gives you a decent mame Experiance without having to fart around with a computer and a gui. Plug and play. It's not perfect, but a good deal of the games are VERY playable with the cps2 being almost perfect. Again, if you're the type to count pixels and such, stay away. But as a quick throw in too play some games with friends, it's well worth the cash.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The other advantage this has over a xbox rom box, is 240p.

Interlacing on a cab?

Funk that noise. I sent my xbox back to the living room.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Stole my words, I feel the exact same way, you can't top 240p on a low rez CRT, that's what sold the PB3 to me in the first place, it wasn't until I saw some footage from Zeminator that I took the jump.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Well it's pretty clear you guys have a completely different experience from me and my bootleg PB3.

So I'll give mine away.

Keep an eye out for a thread in Unrelated for a Christmas related giveaway for it.

:keke:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Well it's pretty clear you guys have a completely different experience from me and my bootleg PB3.

So I'll give mine away.

Keep an eye out for a thread in Unrelated for a Christmas related giveaway for it.

:keke:

But I watched you throw it in the trash at the end of the video.......
I'll send you mine to try if you want.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
lol that was just me hamming it up for the video.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Had a chance to poke around a bit with the King of Air board tonight at it's the same as the PB3 was, probably 85-95 games on the SD card complete with menu movies, but you're blocked with the stock 51. Right offhand I spotted the entire 194X & Raiden series ROMs which only have 1 game playable from each on the actual emulator. I can second what Saran said earlier, the KoA board runs the PB4 645-in-1 image without problems after you copy your signature file over. SFIII and the usual suspects play exactly the same on this board as they do on the PB4. If you're going VGA only you really have no reason not to get a King of Air board since it can be used as a horizontal PB4 also.

One thing about the King of Air board to note is the screen orientation. I ran into this issue a few months ago after compiling a new SD card to run vertical games on my Game Elf, which was originally the 619-in-1 horizontal version. On that one due to a hardware/software conflict it always thought the screen flip button was pressed, meaning that instead of rotating a horizontal monitor from the 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock position to run vertical games I had to rotate it from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock. The King of Air board is setup this way by default and there is no way to change it at all. You may end up with an upside down screen and no way to fix it depending on how your monitor is mounted in your vertical cabinet.

After looking at this a bit closer can anyone confirm that the filter used by the PB4 is just on certain games or is it across the board? After using a VGA monitor I can definitely see it in SFII but not so much SFIII.... maybe it has just been applied to games that had resolution issues on the PB3?

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
So being that the KOA runs on a PB4 is it running on 240p or not, also how's the scrolling on the actual games that it comes with, no modification at all?

saran

n00b
Quickly, I found, the pb4 software run on koa board is not very perfect, just like the game 'sunset riders ', The game screen is not correct, the aspect ratio is not correct, so if you want a better game experience, you'd better get a pb4 boards.
And pb3 boards and pb4 boards is different. The a13 use gpio to access joystick input, Pb3 and pb4 use different gpio for 2P joystick input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geise

Mickey's Coach
I only bought this going in for cps1 and cps2 stuff. For that I have been extremely happy. I did my research though before buying this and knew the shortcomings of all the other games being locked to the cps resolution. That way my expectations were already low haha.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Quickly, I found, the pb4 software run on koa board is not very perfect, just like the game 'sunset riders ', The game screen is not correct, the aspect ratio is not correct, so if you want a better game experience, you'd better get a pb4 boards.

You're right, when running the PB4 SD card in a KoA board some games are unplayable due to it messing the resolution up (games appear squashed into a thin ribbon about 1/5th of the screen wide). Neo and CPS1/2/3 games don't seem to be affected. Still you're adding hundreds of games for the price of a microSD card so I can't complain much.

Manual claims they aren't but the 5th and 6th buttons are wired in and working, no games use them but they're even present in the test menu and work fine when using the PB4 software. Screen tearing or sound issues in games seem to me to be the exactly the same as how they run in horizontal display on the PB4. I don't have a lot of shmup experience so I can't compare them to the original boards.

It has the same graphics smoothing/filter applied as the PB4 and also handles credits the same weird way. Free play jams in 9 credits every time you hit start, but even with it off it doesn't credit properly. You can coin up a dozen times and the actual game won't register it but the frontend will, then at some random point (or when you hold start to bring up the exit menu) it will up you by 1 single credit. Hardly a dealbreaker but a strange annoyance.

Maybe it has something to do with the wonky credit settings but I had no problem playing the 5 games that Mike mentioned would not load. I noticed one of them took a minute to start since it froze on a black screen until the system quit credit feeding after pressing start with freeplay on. This is the same exact board so it has to either be a coin-up issue or something else within the options.

One thing about rapid fire: it can be turned on/off at any time in any game by hitting start + A, which I found extremely handy.

Last edited:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
So what's the real difference between the pb3 and pb4? I thought I saw a vid with free play set on the pb4.

Man one of these would have been nice back when I had my New Astro City.

Might still grab one for the guts to the custom bar top I'm planning.

saran

n00b
So what's the real difference between the pb3 and pb4? I thought I saw a vid with free play set on the pb4.

Man one of these would have been nice back when I had my New Astro City.

Might still grab one for the guts to the custom bar top I'm planning.

2P joystick, if you have made pb4 software runs on pb3 boards, you will find 2P joystick is unplayable, anyway, I have not do this work.

Merry Christmas

apiso

n00b
I ve a question regarding the bootleg version of pandora box 3, are the games on it playble? I know that this board is pretty bad, but i'm wondering if for 40usd it's worth the money and i can play with it. I'm interested above all in wonder boy, altered beast and cave shoot'm up, are they playable in decent way?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I ve a question regarding the bootleg version of pandora box 3, are the games on it playble? I know that this board is pretty bad, but i'm wondering if for 40usd it's worth the money and i can play with it. I'm interested above all in wonder boy, altered beast and cave shoot'm up, are they playable in decent way?

No, it's a frame skipping mess. Spend and extra $20 and just get the legit 3 or 4 at this point.

saran

n00b

520 in 1 Pandora's box 3 jamma arcade machine game board games multigame card VGA outp for CRT/CGA arcade cabinet free shipping
http://ae02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1fUMPIXXXXXbEaXXXq6xXFXXXU.jpg
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/520-...ard-games-multigame-card-VGA/32413833968.html

Are u saying this is the bootleg pb3

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
520 in 1 Pandora's box 3 jamma arcade machine game board games multigame card VGA outp for CRT/CGA arcade cabinet free shipping
http://ae02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1fUMPIXXXXXbEaXXXq6xXFXXXU.jpg
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/520-...ard-games-multigame-card-VGA/32413833968.html

Are u saying this is the bootleg pb3

I can tell just from the menu design that isn't the original pb3.

If it doesn't look like a ps4, don't buy it...plain and simple. But you should know Saran since you work for the company that makes them.

saran

n00b
I can tell just from the menu design that isn't the original pb3.

If it doesn't look like a ps4, don't buy it...plain and simple. But you should know Saran since you work for the company that makes them.

Thank you

saran

n00b
I am not working for the company that make pb.
I am just hacking pb for fun

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm having a New Year's Day sale on the JNX Atlas DLX adapters. $29.99, today only. eBay item#151925779737

I only have so many so get one if you need one.

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
I'm having a New Year's Day sale on the JNX Atlas DLX adapters. $29.99, today only. eBay item#151925779737

I only have so many so get one if you need one.

So your who I bought my adapters off ebay from! :P

On a side note can someone do me a solid?

I have a PB3 and Tetris grand master runs and sounds like shit on it. Does anyone have a PB they can test the Tetris grand master on and see if the rom runs any better this time around?

Better yet if someone has both can they test the game and see if they think it runs any better?