Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have read through this once and am pretty much going to pick one up eventually. But how are the TATE games on a horizontal screen? Does it just have the black bars on the sides?

Yup, to keep the proper aspect ratio.

I have read through this once and am pretty much going to pick one up eventually. But how are the TATE games on a horizontal screen? Does it just have the black bars on the sides?
Yes, and note that it uses nearest neighbour scaling, which is kinda nasty, but overall, it's well worth its asking price and a hell of a lot better than other similar boards on the market. Even if you only end up liking a single game on the board, which is hard to think, it pretty much already paid for itself.

Ultimately though, real hardware wins, but as i mentioned before, the pandora is super convenient, runs well for the most part, and is cheap. Finally, let's face it, who wants to see Windows boot up when they turn on their cabinet?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
let's face it, who wants to see Windows boot up when they turn on their cabinet?

Someone who doesn't know how to use linux?
I have a friend with a linux mame cab, and it boots silently with a neat little movie that emulates the POST of an older arcade board with a fake RAM/ROM check.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

Man, I really wish they offered the option to display the games in their vertical orientation.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I have a friend with a linux mame cab, and it boots silently with a neat little movie that emulates the POST of an older arcade board with a fake RAM/ROM check.

i really wish it were easier to just buy a machine ready to go with something like this...just drag and drop onto a USB drive or something for roms.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
As better tech becomes cheaper we'll see these units being developed better and better, patience is a virtua...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
As better tech becomes cheaper we'll see these units being developed better and better, patience is a virtua...

Very true.

I have a Blue Elf 2009 and the PB3 is so much better. I can't remember the last time I hooked the Elf up.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Man, I really wish they offered the option to display the games in their vertical orientation.

Heck, I wouldn't mind a separate unit that had nothing but vertical games in the correct orientation. I'd pay another $80 for that.

That's pretty cool :D. And yes, I agree about Linux, but the fact is, almost everyone uses Windows as their host OS for a cab... and it kinda makes sense given you can also run all the Taito Type X games on it, but still, there's something really creepy about watching a cab booting into Windows.

He's referring to the monitor, not the PB3.

Oh, that probably wouldn't help, i think he's referring to how the image is slightly cut off on the left. Really annoying. I suspect they didnt want to scale the image and instead cut part of the image off to fit into 320 pixels instead of 384 or whatever it was for CPS games.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Oh, that probably wouldn't help, i think he's referring to how the image is slightly cut off on the left. Really annoying. I suspect they didnt want to scale the image and instead cut part of the image off to fit into 320 pixels instead of 384 or whatever it was for CPS games.

I think it's more because it's native VGA and the RGB via 15khz is just for convenience.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
My Pandora 3 has the 6th button held down, as if the hot is touching the ground at all times, I'm gonna open it up and see what I can find, hopefully it's a simple fix...

My Pandora 3 has the 6th button held down, as if the hot is touching the ground at all times, I'm gonna open it up and see what I can find, hopefully it's a simple fix...

Isn't that due to the funny jamma interpretation? The PB3 maps button 6 onto what id normally a ground wire. You may have to get an adapter to use it.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
Yeah the adapter that is sold from Jamma Nation X can fix that, or you can try the switch I mentioned earlier.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
lol, thanks guys but I have had this unit for a long ass time and also have both adapters from XX. Actually what happened was pretty weird, I had to switch the jumpers from jamma to elf, it works now but I find it strange that it worked the other way for all this time and now all of a sudden I had to switch them? Weird...

Yeah the adapter that is sold from Jamma Nation X can fix that, or you can try the switch I mentioned earlier.
Which switch is that? Does it have multiple Jamma ports, how many, and how does this solve the PB3 problem? I struggle to see how these switches would handle this problem.

EDIT: Oh, found your post, you meant a little switch? I thought you were talking about a multi-jamma-switcher which also deals with the PB3 Jamma connection issues. I was pretty sure nothing like that came up in the thread, so was confused by your post... but if it existed, I'd buy it :D.

Last edited:
lol, thanks guys but I have had this unit for a long ass time and also have both adapters from XX. Actually what happened was pretty weird, I had to switch the jumpers from jamma to elf, it works now but I find it strange that it worked the other way for all this time and now all of a sudden I had to switch them? Weird...
Most likely something made or lost a connection. I can't see any way it could have worked with the adapter set to Jamma-passthrough. Either way, glad you got it sorted.

Last edited:

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
Does anyone know if the Garou Mark of the Wolves ROM on here is the correct ROM or the same dodgy one as the 161in1 multicart?

Thanks
Pete