Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

Jonathan32

n00b
There is a feedback thread for jammaboards.com. This has nothing to do with the thread you posted on.

Regards.

Actually it does. Because if you read through the tread completely you will see several members discussing adapters for the Pandora box to be used in a MVS. A few of us had ordered the jamma to MVS adapters from jammaboards and never received our orders. This was all stated in this tread. I was simply letting those members know that I was able to get ahold of mine.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Having just sold my Blue Elf 2 I am on the fence about this one. Can I ask you guys to test two games for me:
- Final Fight
- Ghouls and Ghosts
On the Blue Elf 2 I remember they looked pretty enough when the screen was stationary but suffered from some screen tearing when scrolling. Can you give me the low down what the story is with the above on the PB3?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Having just sold my Blue Elf 2 I am on the fence about this one. Can I ask you guys to test two games for me:
- Final Fight
- Ghouls and Ghosts
On the Blue Elf 2 I remember they looked pretty enough when the screen was stationary but suffered from some screen tearing when scrolling. Can you give me the low down what the story is with the above on the PB3?

They both play fine. iirc Final Fight still had that tearing but I think that's only via 15khz RGB and not VGA. For GnG, I don't remember seeing the tearing but that might be due to a lot of black backgrounds.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
They both play fine. iirc Final Fight still had that tearing but I think that's only via 15khz RGB and not VGA. For GnG, I don't remember seeing the tearing but that might be due to a lot of black backgrounds.

Thanks, appreciate the response.

Solara

n00b
Hi all, I am new to the forum and Jamma especially this PB3 multi game board. I have this all hook up within 4 hours and it works great but I have a video output question. I was trying to hook it up to my 32" Visio LCD TV that has a VGA input but the video quality is horrible. Image is shifted to the left and wavy lines all over......when I hook it up to the regular computer monitor (17" dell) the picture is back to normal...........is that true that normal LCD LED TV with VGA input does not necessary work on this Game use...?

I saw there is a VGA output HD-enhance video card from the net around $50 that can give better output like 1280x960 resolution.....but does that going to help if I use it on my Visio TV? Or I can only use computer monitor or Arcade use monitor...?

Also...even it is on my monitor, the image is not perfectly SHARP...it is kinda "out of focus". Is there anything I can improve the video output?

I know I am pretty spoiled by the HD and even 4K images right now but I am just wondering is there something I can do to improve the quality of the video images....Thank you all.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Has anyone tried this with VGA output going to an XRGB2?

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I think that's the version that we all have and what they've been selling for the past few months.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I was looking at the Pandora's Box 3 game list and debating on buying one, but will probably hold out in the hopes they match the Game Elf in having the Gradius/Life Force games in their next update. The Game Elf and Pandora's Box game lists are so similar now, but not having even one Gradius is a pretty glaring omission. Not to mention R-Type.

Last edited:

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I'm digging this so far, Sunset Riders seems to suffer the most from screen tearing as others have shared.

I do notice that overall the video quality seems a little blurry or muted. Just not as clean as an original arcade board. It's seems a little dark too, will need to pay with the Monitor settings.

I'm digging this so far, Sunset Riders seems to suffer the most from screen tearing as others have shared.

I do notice that overall the video quality seems a little blurry or muted. Just not as clean as an original arcade board. It's seems a little dark too, will need to pay with the Monitor settings.
Plus the left hand side of the image is often cut off for CPS1/2/3 games. Overall though, I think it's awesome. Been using PB3 as a way to try games to see if I like it enough to acquire the real hardware. Convenience is certainly it's biggest strength, and performance is decent enough.

Ideally it'd have an extra 30% CPU power and be more customisable. It's a black box, borderline hack-job and not easy to alter. DogP looked into it, seems to run FBA, but the menu system and input handling is all compiled into a frankenbinary. Would be nice to get some Mame titles in there, but for that one would need to understand how inputs are handled, roll a custom version of Mame for it along with an alternative to their menu system... in short, not worth the effort.

For the price, it's awesome though, I mean seriously, a JPAC costs about the same as this, but it's a full solution and still has a great collection of games, if you're happy with the games it has and accept that you can't add to the game selection.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hey guys, I need some ideas for something I'm thinking about doing.

I have several 6 button DB15 controllers that I use with the Neo and my consolized CPS2. I was going to build a supergun and I started to think it would be rad to go ahead and get one of these Pandoras as well since I'm not going to jump ballzdeep into PCB collecting, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my controller to interface with the pandora for all 6 buttons to be used.

I do have a CPS2 kick harness unused, so my best ideas would be to use one of Xian Xi's jamma adapters and put a CPS2 connector (where would I even get this?) on my supergun and just run the regular CPS2 cable between the supergun and the jamma adapter, or to build a cable adapter that splits the inputs externally and run the 3/4 buttons to the supergun while 4-6 go to the adapter's kick harness.

Any thoughts? This is my first time dabbling in this kind of stuff, I normally just consolize everything.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hey guys, I need some ideas for something I'm thinking about doing.

I have several 6 button DB15 controllers that I use with the Neo and my consolized CPS2. I was going to build a supergun and I started to think it would be rad to go ahead and get one of these Pandoras as well since I'm not going to jump ballzdeep into PCB collecting, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my controller to interface with the pandora for all 6 buttons to be used.

I do have a CPS2 kick harness unused, so my best ideas would be to use one of Xian Xi's jamma adapters and put a CPS2 connector (where would I even get this?) on my supergun and just run the regular CPS2 cable between the supergun and the jamma adapter, or to build a cable adapter that splits the inputs externally and run the 3/4 buttons to the supergun while 4-6 go to the adapter's kick harness.

Any thoughts? This is my first time dabbling in this kind of stuff, I normally just consolize everything.

Easiest way would be to put a DB9 port on your supergun for the kick harness so you can standardize the kick harness port. Internally you would connect the wires to the corresponding pins on the controller ports to where you want the kicks to go to. Using the Atlas, you would just need to plug it into the Pandora and connect your CPS2 kick harness and it will route the kicks to where ever you connected those kicks internally.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Ah yes, a DB9 port would be a great idea. I could just cut the ends off my kick harness and put a DB9 plug there. Sweet. Thanks James!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ah yes, a DB9 port would be a great idea. I could just cut the ends off my kick harness and put a DB9 plug there. Sweet. Thanks James!

On my superguns I use:

1. P1 Kick 1
2. P1 Kick 2
3. P1 Kick 3
4. P2 Kick 1
5. P2 Kick 2
6. P2 Kick 3
7. GND/NC
8. GND/NC
9. NC

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I have a DB9 for my kick harness input, however I didn't need to end up using it for the Pandora. I already had 5 of the 6 buttons from the Jamma connector, so it was just button 6 for P1 and P2. I just used a DPDT switch to alternate between ground and the Button 6 and it worked. No external kick harness needed.

Otherwise James Pandora adapter is the way to go.

Last edited:

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi guys, Anyone using the pandora box with the xrgb mini? As I notice the screen is off centre and more to the left. Is this happening with anyone else ?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was talking with Miisalo the other day and he mentioned the same thing, the image was to the left.

Duo R, I like the suggestion, but I want my supergun to be straight jamma (well, the expanded Jamma that JNX lists in the tutorials) and would prefer to use adapters for anything not standard. I really need to add the kick harness port anyway since I do run CPS2 hardware as well.

Speaking of adapters, got the Atlas today, it's a quality piece of kit. Probably much higher quality than the Pandora :keke: The Jamma pass through option may come in handy as well with this particular supergun build.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Want another LOL? I was looking on your website a bit earlier and saw that you had the DB9 kick harnesses already made, and I somehow missed them. You charge $16, it cost me about $20 to get the parts to build my own. :keke:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Want another LOL? I was looking on your website a bit earlier and saw that you had the DB9 kick harnesses already made, and I somehow missed them. You charge $16, it cost me about $20 to get the parts to build my own. :keke:

LOL

You should just ask next time dude.

bryan

Geese's Thug
I have read through this once and am pretty much going to pick one up eventually. But how are the TATE games on a horizontal screen? Does it just have the black bars on the sides?