Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

Bashful Neophyte

Not sure if these are knockoffs or just a different version. It is outputing video @800x600 60Hz only, seem to have active pixel smoothing and automatically switches aspect ratios to fit the monitor. Tried an LCD and it adjusted perfectly to 16:9 and looks very nice. The Ebay listing does state that this is the LCD version. If its a knockoff of a knock it's an impressive one. Run circles around any Blue Elf I've ever owned.
    Last edited by rxdoga; 06-16-2015 at 02:54 AM.

Fug:DDDDD

Quote Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
    I got an adapter from Paradise Arcade. Took about a week to get it. Works fine.

Too bad about that knockoff pandora. I thought something was up with that $63 price.

So far with the board I'm really surprised at how well Sunset Riders plays. And the CPS2 games are legit. Definitely missing a few sounds but they're serviceable.

I really wish there was a way to tate the vertical games.
    Does sunset riders suffer from the same issue as MAME where you walk up or down a slope while the screen is scrolling and you stutter?

Bashful Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by Pasky View Post
    Does sunset riders suffer from the same issue as MAME where you walk up or down a slope while the screen is scrolling and you stutter?
    Just did a playthrough of Sunset Riders(1st time ever)just for you Pasky and didn't notice any stuttering or slowdown. I did notice one huge issue though, El Greco is a filthy dirty bastard and can kiss Steve's druken-whoring ass.

Fug:DDDDD

Quote Originally Posted by rxdoga View Post
    Just did a playthrough of Sunset Riders(1st time ever)just for you Pasky and didn't notice any stuttering or slowdown. I did notice one huge issue though, El Greco is a filthy dirty bastard and can kiss Steve's druken-whoring ass.
    Haha, interesting, it's been a bug in MAME for ages (even in the latest version), I wonder what the work around to fix it is, I'm sure they used a hack rather than emulate it properly.

Neo Bubble Buster

Quote Originally Posted by rxdoga View Post
    Not sure if these are knockoffs or just a different version. It is outputing video @800x600 60Hz only, seem to have active pixel smoothing and automatically switches aspect ratios to fit the monitor. Tried an LCD and it adjusted perfectly to 16:9 and looks very nice. The Ebay listing does state that this is the LCD version. If its a knockoff of a knock it's an impressive one. Run circles around any Blue Elf I've ever owned.
    Is it the blue version? There is a black version that does CGA output over Jamma and low res VGA for standard def monitors, then there's a blue one that, from my understanding, doesn't do video over Jamma and is optimised for higher res displays.

Choi's Barber

Haha, interesting, it's been a bug in MAME for ages (even in the latest version), I wonder what the work around to fix it is, I'm sure they used a hack rather than emulate it properly.
    One of the guys on KLOV said these use Final Burn Alpha instead of MAME.

King's Dry Cleaner

I'll check it again to see if I notice anything. I've only run it through cga, are most of you using the vga? Will the pandora automatically shut down the jamma video portion once I plug the video cord in? I have an auto tune NNC and I'm not sure if two video inputs coming in will confuse it.

Anyone have any opinions on the vertical multiboard? I think it's 143-in-1 or something close.

NAM-75 Vet

Will the pandora automatically shut down the jamma video portion once I plug the video cord in? I have an auto tune NNC and I'm not sure if two video inputs coming in will confuse it.

From my tests the board does this when connecting different displays:

No VGA Display Connected on BOOT = Output is CGA to my Astro City
    VGA Display Connected on BOOT = Output is 640x480 60Hz VGA on my 19inch LCD

When a VGA display is connected the jamma signal is still being pushed to my arcade monitor, but the image looks squished once a game is loaded up. On the LCD everything looks fine. When I pulled the VGA cable and boot normally everything is back to normal on my arcade monitor.

King's Dry Cleaner

Hmm. So it will still output something through CGA. I'll test it later today. I hope the NNC doesn't have brightness issues when it detects a load on the jamma even though I'm asking it to output VGA

SouthTown StreetSweeper

I assume you're running it through a JVS>JAMMA adapter of some sort so if the VGA cable of the NNC isn't plugged into the adapter it wouldn't matter if anything is coming off the JAMMA edge at all would it? The display will be direct from the Pandora's Box to the monitor bypassing the adapter completely?

Rugal's Secretary

I'm going to need someone to figure out how to hack mine so I can play ElectricGrave online. I'll pay anything. Online play via Pandora's Box would complete my bucket list.
    NG: DEV SCOREBOARD <<<< CLOSED DUE TO EXCESSIVELY HIGH VOLUME OF PARTICIPATION

How are you liking it so far pipes, is it worth the price tag? Hey, let's play sometime on XBL if you have it.

King's Dry Cleaner

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434488314.195222.jpg
    As I suspected the Vga and cga have some sort of interference issues on the NNC.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434488515.488496.jpg
    The adaptor I have has a section for rgb. If I found a jumper or something do you think I'd be able to block that off and use the vga

SouthTown StreetSweeper

I doubt you'll be able to jumper the rgb off from those pins, it seems to be a breakout and a pass through to the other side of the adapter. How are you connecting the video to your nnc? Through the vga cable only? Or do you have it connected through the jamma edge and through the vga cable?

I'm just trying to work out how the two video sources are connected to your monitor.

King's Dry Cleaner

Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

Jamma edge only works fine. Adding the vga cable in and restarting brings about the bad picture.

Turning on the NNC with just the vga, then adding in the jamma to power the pandora results in a clear picture for about a second, then it goes wacky again.

As a reference, a jammafied dream cast works fine through the VGA while also connected to the controls-only jamma.
    Last edited by cornerstone; 06-16-2015 at 06:29 PM.

SouthTown StreetSweeper

What kind of jvs>jamma adapter do you have? You may have to alter the adapter you have so there is no rgb pass through on the jamma edge.

King's Dry Cleaner

Not sure. If it didn't come stock with the cabinet, then I don't have it.

If the VGA is only marginally better then I'm not going to worry about it. All the street fighters look good anyway.

B. Jenet's Firstmate

I compared to my actual sunset riders pcb. For me the pandora's box 3 sunset riders does have that issue when you first walk up and and then down. If you go back and do it again it's fine. Weird. Yeah that was an annoying issue for me as well since it was first introduced in mame. On a side note I get terrible sound out of Simpsons and Turtles in Time with this. I wonder if it's a stereo/mono issue. Some sound/music do seem off and not just because of a mono stereo issue. Since this might be running Final Burn Alpha instead of MAME it kinda makes sense. The drivers for Simpsons and Turtles in Time are fairly recent in FBA.
    Last edited by geise; 06-16-2015 at 06:40 PM.

JammaNationX

As I suspected the Vga and cga have some sort of interference issues on the NNC.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434488515.488496.jpg
    The adaptor I have has a section for rgb. If I found a jumper or something do you think I'd be able to block that off and use the vga
    What's up with your kick harness? Is that supposed to be a CPS1 kick harness? The pinout looks odd.

Also, nice to see that their Blue Elf adaptor now has a kick harness plug on it...lol WTF.

King's Dry Cleaner

Yeah my cab has two of those weird harnesses. I'm not sure what they do. I haven't torn the thing apart yet. There is a ton of extra wiring in it.

The adaptor comes with a separate kick harness to plug in there along with the rgb pass through wiring also.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434495181.992299.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434495208.006555.jpg

Rugal's Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    How are you liking it so far pipes, is it worth the price tag? Hey, let's play sometime on XBL if you have it.
    Funny you should ask...I found two packages waiting for me on the kitchen counter when I got home from work today....the PB3 that I exorcised from Kuze's life and the JNX adapter. Nice that they arrived at the same time. I only had a half hour with it so far and I have to say I'm happy with what I see so far. If you buy this with the expectation that you'll be getting a mixed bag of good, bad and ugly then there's no reason to be disappointed with this I feel. There's quite a bit more than $70 worth of good in there I'm sure.

I do have XBL but can't even remember the last time I've used it. I wish I lived closer so I could get my ass handed to me in person. The trash talk would make it all worth it I'm pretty sure.

JammaNationX

Yeah my cab has two of those weird harnesses. I'm not sure what they do. I haven't torn the thing apart yet. There is a ton of extra wiring in it.

The adaptor comes with a separate kick harness to plug in there along with the rgb pass through wiring also.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434495208.006555.jpg
    They look like they're both for RGB but it depends on where they lead.

Those plugs are for Naomi, not video at all, but for controls. For instance, you use those for the keyboard games.

Rugal's Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    Funny you should ask...I found two packages waiting for me on the kitchen counter when I got home from work today....the PB3 that I exorcised from Kuze's life and the JNX adapter. Nice that they arrived at the same time. I only had a half hour with it so far and I have to say I'm happy with what I see so far. If you buy this with the expectation that you'll be getting a mixed bag of good, bad and ugly then there's no reason to be disappointed with this I feel. There's quite a bit more than $70 worth of good in there I'm sure.

I do have XBL but can't even remember the last time I've used it. I wish I lived closer so I could get my ass handed to me in person. The trash talk would make it all worth it I'm pretty sure.
    Further to that....my son loves it!....so money well spent already. He played some Hyper Pac-Mac (he loves anything pac-man) and TMNT:TiT and was having a blast. TiT seemed to play very well. I have the real deal as comparison and the PB3 does a good job with it. I played some SF:A2 as well...so far it's light years ahead of that Blue Elf I had once upon a time. I'm sure I'll find a fair share of absolute stinkers as I dig through it a bit more though.

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    Further to that....my son loves it!....so money well spent already. He played some Hyper Pac-Mac (he loves anything pac-man) and TMNT:TiT and was having a blast. TiT seemed to play very well. I have the real deal as comparison and the PB3 does a good job with it. I played some SF:A2 as well...so far it's light years ahead of that Blue Elf I had once upon a time. I'm sure I'll find a fair share of absolute stinkers as I dig through it a bit more though.
    Good to know the PB 3 is working well. I order mine a while back from Aliexpress as well, now just waiting for the JNX Supergun from James and also for the unit to arrive.
    http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/7825/tlaugh.png[/IMG

Thread Information