Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I thought I'd start a new thread since people seemed interested in how this multi-game pcb runs.

AliExpress Link $69.00
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...rsion-Just-Another-Pandora-s/32272577041.html

16973184348_e0b5d9fd45_b.jpg

16976469848_8d3b4ab60d_c.jpg

17138301486_4a2ba87497_c.jpg

Anyways, I just picked this up off AliExpress for $69. Here's my initial impressions.

Pros
- Cart was PLUG & PLAY for me from the jamma edge
- No video issues, I get a nice clear steady image
- Quick and responsive Front End selection menu
- I've only noticed framerate issues on the CPS3 games (Street Fighter 3), all other games seem to run pretty well
- Buttons & Joystick inputs feel very responsive
- Nice built-in IO test for buttons and joysticks

Cons
- Requires your "P1 Coin" to be wired up. Must add coins to navigate and select games. No free play mode. I wired up a dedicated button beside my board.
- Some games have sounds that seem "soft" or the quality has been lowered. Doesn't seem to be all games, and those that do still seem perfectly playable. Note: I'm also running the mono audio from the jamma edge. I haven't tested the line out connector via an amp yet.
- Street Fighter 3 ha framerate issues
- Golden Axe is playable but enemy death SFX are really loud

So far I'm pretty happy with this little board. I was burnt before with a Happy Fish multi board and the Pandora 3 BLOWS it out of the water in terms of game performance. If anyone has any specific game video request just let me know.

Videos excuse my one hand playthroughs...

Last edited:

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
For the price of this board, this seems actually really worth picking up. I might check it out in the future

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks for following up with the info on this board. Im gonna get the Neo to Jamma converter, and I'll probably pick this board up cuz the price is pretty damn good. Are most of the games able to be played with only 4 buttons? I know SF and most of the other non-Neo fighters have 6 buttons, but other than that, there arent many, right?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I think the only games that use 6 buttons are going to be the Capcom fighters, but I could be wrong. I just got through testing out more shumps and beat-em-ups and wow, really surprising how well they all play. I find it hard to fault this thing for the price.

More Videos

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
For $69 that's not so bad. Is there any input delay?

Also you're on the wrong section of the forum, this belongs in unrelated, not neo-geo general.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Would be awesome if this thing could be customized to play the vert shmups in tate. Any chance of an image of the SD card?

Also, I'd love to see a video of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs if possible :D

Thanks for starting this thread and throwing those videos up! Checking them out now.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
How exactly does it handles buttons 4-5-6? is there a kick-harness connector?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Buttons 4 to 6 are wired to the jamma edge so you need to either re-wire your existing harness or buy an adapter that has a kick harness breakout. I'm leaning towards getting an adapter with a CPS2 kick connector since I already have one of those around.

Couple more game requests

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Thanks for the vid! Cadillacs looks worlds better on this than the group buy Pandora 2 (knock off?) units we received. I just bit and ordered one of these for the cps1 games. I'll try and fiddle with it and see if games can be added and/or played in original monitor orientation.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Seems like a cool gadget, price and source would be cool.

From 161 in 1 thread:
I've got a Pandora Box 3 coming in the mail soon and I'm eager to see how it plays. I've been watching a lot of this guy's youtube playthroughs and so far it looks pretty promising. On a related note it looks like JammaBoards.com has switched to carrying the Pandora's and dropped selling of the Blue Elfs, Game King & Happy Fish boards because of poor performance. Oh and SmokeMonster is right, check AliExpress for way better deals. I picked up a 520-1 Pandora Box 3 for $69.00

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...rsion-Just-Another-Pandora-s/32272577041.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eFWDiitOpI

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Just added my purchase link in the original post. So far I haven't noticed any noticeable input delay.

I did read the group buy thread for those that tried buying the Pandora 2.... but from what I read you guys DIDN'T get real Pandora boards, you got some kind of knock off Elf boards which have been known to have lots of issues. I'm not sure what you can do to try and guarantee you get the correct board in the mail, other than asking the seller to open up the case and take pictures of the pcb before purchasing.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info, the CPS1 games in particular make this awfully tempting.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
So, how do these things work?
Is it just an ASIC MAME chip? FPGA?

How does it compare to real hardware?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Added a video for The Punisher above

And picked up an adapter off Xian with CPS2 kick harness support so I can wire up my kick buttons.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Not my video but here's a new one for Captain Commando. I tried this one out myself last night and thought it played very well.

bdlou

Quiz Detective
What type of monitor do you have in your cabinet? I have a Transformers 2011 and a King Kong 2 board, and when I plug either of them in to my Capcom Impress that has a 15Khz monitor, I get a picture, but it's white washed out and wavy. VGA to an LCD screen displays fine. I assume all of these boards are being made for a 31Khz or higher screen.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I've got a Nanao MS9 set at 15kHz running in my New Astro City and the Pandora was plug & play for me. I'm not familiar with those other multi boards but if I were to guess I'm betting you have a grounding problem somewhere.

What type of monitor do you have in your cabinet? I have a Transformers 2011 and a King Kong 2 board, and when I plug either of them in to my Capcom Impress that has a 15Khz monitor, I get a picture, but it's white washed out and wavy. VGA to an LCD screen displays fine. I assume all of these boards are being made for a 31Khz or higher screen.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I ponyed up for FedEx Express and got it in 2 days :)

I also tried out the audio out port this morning with my headphones w/ volume control and I was pleasantly surprised with how clear the audio was. Might try testing the VGA out tonight.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hey I should have asked before about XX adapter, how much did that set you back for?

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have a few of these which I use when refurbing old dead multicabs. I'll begin by saying that I don't like these multiboards and I think the emulation is crap in most situations. As they go though, this one is much better than say a blue elf 619 in 1 etc. For the money you cant really go wrong if you really want a multiboard.