Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The best way I could explain it is plaYing a Standard Snes or SFC in rgb. The Non-1 chip models. You get a colorful picture but zero sharpness.

Excellent, thank you! Now I have a reference. This is something that I have seen, and although it's not perfect, it will work for the short-term.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't tried the 4, but on the 3 the visuals vary greatly. Some games look great, some look like dogshit. Personally, I'm okay with it considering the nature of the device.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I haven't tried the 4, but on the 3 the visuals vary greatly. Some games look great, some look like dogshit. Personally, I'm okay with it considering the nature of the device.

It's the same thing with the 4 bro. Some games work great and others your better off playing on Mame.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I got the King of Air & Bee Storm seem unplayable. Choppy sound & extreme slowdown through out...Anyone else had issues like this?

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Yeah Pandora couldn't play Marital Masters right at all or any PGM games but i was watching the video of the King of Air 51 in 1 in this thread & showed Bee Storm running perfectly w/ great sound.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Got mine in from RAZO yesterday.

The CPS games look and play great. I won't say it just as good as the real thing because I've never owned a CPS game to compare it to. I was happy as shit playing The Punisher on my cab. I didn't have a kick harness yet, but SFA3 plays like it should.

I didn't touch any of the Neo games - I have a CMVS for that.

I'll confess that I really got this for the classic games that are on there. The filter softens the look of the wonky resolution.

The screen filter isn't as bad as I thought it would be - Raz was right when he said it was like playing on a SNES with shitty AV output. It cuts down on a lot of the screen tearing that was on the PB3, but it gives everything a very slight blurry look. You can still make out details on ships in shooters, but its not 100% sharp. The best way I cant describe this is playing MAME on an OG XBox on a CRT before the emulators got really good. I tried to take a picture to illustrate it, but I can't get a good one on my potato phone.

My only gripe so far is with Mario Bros. - it's windowed like a vertical game, but it's originally horizontal. It plays fine, but it doesn't look right.

This will definitely work until I get a MAME PC in there. The CPS games alone are worth the price of this thing.

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I didn't read over all 40+ pages of comments (I apologize in advance if already covered), but has anyone bothered to hack their Pandora setup yet?

If you open up your Pandora encloser, you should find that all the data is being read from a micro SD card. If you plug that into your computer, you'll see two partitions: FAT32 (Boot), and EXT3 (Linux). A lot of configuration files can be edited there as well as what front-end/emulator you want to use. Many of these all-in-1 solutions in China are built on the same hardware, but use software configuration to display different front ends and games.

For Pandora 4 setups for example, the SD card also has files for "The King of Air" and "mame player" on it as well. If you modify your config files, your Pandora 4 will boot up like you purchased one of the other devices.

EDIT: From what I recall, Pandora 4 uses FBA for emulation. "The King of Air" might use something else, which is why some games work better under specific front ends.

Last edited:

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I didn't read over all 40+ pages of comments (I apologize in advance if already covered), but has anyone bothered to hack their Pandora setup yet?

King of Air boards will run most games from vanilla PB4 SD card if you replace the signature file with your original from the KoA board.

I noticed the newest version is called a "4S" and has HDMI out along with an additional 40 games. Being that the new games are mixed in with the old I didn't catch all of the additions beyond Shinobi, Batman, and a few NG titles like Magician Lord.

Anyone snab one of these yet? I didn't know if the chip set changed and was wondering if the game performance or filter issues were any different.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Turns out my King of Air is a bootleg of a bootleg. Damn, the only cool thing about it, is that you can switch from KOA to Pandora 4 on bootup or Cadillac & Dinosaur. Can you do that with the Pandora 3?

*edit*
Also, i cant seem to sync my Pandora Box 3, Pandora 4 or King of Air on my showcase cab. Have you guys experience this with other cabs & what did you do to fix it.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Turns out my King of Air is a bootleg of a bootleg. Damn, the only cool thing about it, is that you can switch from KOA to Pandora 4 on bootup or Cadillac & Dinosaur. Can you do that with the Pandora 3?

*edit*
Also, i cant seem to sync my Pandora Box 3, Pandora 4 or King of Air on my showcase cab. Have you guys experience this with other cabs & what did you do to fix it.

What does your KoA look like? Mine doesn't look like a mini PS4. It plays bee storm and super x, but hotdog storm and gunnail are downright awful.

Is it this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/122049975264?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
King of Air boards will run most games from vanilla PB4 SD card if you replace the signature file with your original from the KoA board.

I noticed the newest version is called a "4S" and has HDMI out along with an additional 40 games. Being that the new games are mixed in with the old I didn't catch all of the additions beyond Shinobi, Batman, and a few NG titles like Magician Lord.

Anyone snab one of these yet? I didn't know if the chip set changed and was wondering if the game performance or filter issues were any different.

I just played one today, 4S that is. Different intro movie, HDMI is in 4:3 mode and not stretched. Everything played pretty smooth from what I can remember. I might pick one up when the prices go down a little.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Arrival...819703?hash=item2ef79df477:g:wzEAAOSwHMJYL-wh

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I just played one today, 4S that is. Different intro movie, HDMI is in 4:3 mode and not stretched. Everything played pretty smooth from what I can remember. I might pick one up when the prices go down a little.

Thanks for the info, nice to hear that about the 4:3 stretching. Did you happen to notice if sound is carried over the HDMI cable? Mine is supposed to arrive this week and I've got my fingers crossed that Shinobi works well.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Does anyone have a dump of the PB4 SD card? I want to try it in my KoA.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks for the info, nice to hear that about the 4:3 stretching. Did you happen to notice if sound is carried over the HDMI cable? Mine is supposed to arrive this week and I've got my fingers crossed that Shinobi works well.

Yes, sound is via the HDMI. I hope system 16 games run smooth. That would make it a must buy for me.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
So does this new 4S unit actually handle the titles the older version didn't?

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
I bought mine a while back. It's ok for games that I can't find but overall not something that gets played very often.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Not sure if this is old news here, but I can confirm the King of Air board has all the Pandora 4 games on it. I mounted the micro SD card in Windows and opened the 'game' file in notepad. It will say 'kzbw' - change that to 'pb4' and save. Booted up and had over 500 titles in horizontal. I assume the opposite works on a PB4 board to turn it into a vertical KofA.

amplibax

n00b
Not sure if this is old news here, but I can confirm the King of Air board has all the Pandora 4 games on it. I mounted the micro SD card in Windows and opened the 'game' file in notepad. It will say 'kzbw' - change that to 'pb4' and save. Booted up and had over 500 titles in horizontal. I assume the opposite works on a PB4 board to turn it into a vertical KofA.
This is new to me. Very interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

For those who have the bootleg pandora box 3, there a hack available that may run on your box. Pandora box X 705 games in 1, it runs on my little elf 3, just had to write the image on a new micro sd card. It is a cool hack, the games are all in alphabetical order and now I have the attract mode playing before I start a game. You should check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LuVtFFJZh4

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
After languishing in customs for damn near 3 months my PB 4S HD model finally arrived today. I noticed there's actually an option in the operator menu to toggle the graphical filtering on and off, which is something that none of the previous models had. No idea if this applies to all 3 video out options, or what exactly it does, but I'll check it out tonight. I'll try to get as much info as possible but if someone else has already done this they're more than welcome to chime in. If anyone needs me to check on any other specific things I will be happy to.

I'm also curious about this wireless controller tech they've added on the newer models. Having a consolized or Supergun Pandora's Box setup is concept I could never understand the appeal of, but I'd definitely like to know exactly what is going on hardware-wise.