Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
After languishing in customs for damn near 3 months my PB 4S HD model finally arrived today. I noticed there's actually an option in the operator menu to toggle the graphical filtering on and off, which is something that none of the previous models had. No idea if this applies to all 3 video out options, or what exactly it does, but I'll check it out tonight. I'll try to get as much info as possible but if someone else has already done this they're more than welcome to chime in. If anyone needs me to check on any other specific things I will be happy to.

I'm also curious about this wireless controller tech they've added on the newer models. Having a consolized or Supergun Pandora's Box setup is concept I could never understand the appeal of, but I'd definitely like to know exactly what is going on hardware-wise.

Saw the wireless one, would have been smarter to make it compatible with at least PS3 controllers instead of forcing people to buy that stick as well.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Spent a few minutes trying this out this afternoon. I immediately noticed the audio amp doesn't have near the buzz/interference my PB4 had. I don't know if it was just my unit or something about my cab wiring but the 4 (and lesser extent 3) had a noticeable constant buzz. I could barely even hear it on this.

As far as I can tell there's no noticeable gameplay improvement compared to a regular 4, unlike the big differences between a PB3 versus 4. If it didn't run well before it runs just the same now. Tried out Shinobi (a newly added title) and it seemed to work very good.

I grabbed a shitty little 19 inch TV to check the VGA & HDMI outs. Like Xian Xi mentioned before the audio is passed over the HDMI cable. Unfortunately, I don't know if it was the cheap ass HDMI cable or the equally cheap ass TV, but the video was just a garbled mess. I'm going to swap them both out later to hopefully remedy it. VGA worked fine and ran at 800x600.

The biggest point though is you can completely turn the rubbish filters off. That option only applies to VGA/HDMI video connections and won't even appear in the operator menu if you're not connected that way. Unfortunately that's the only video tweak option. Some didn't like how the PB4 scaled graphics over the JAMMA CRT video out and this one is the exact same.

It's no vast leap but if you were on the fence about buying a 4 this version makes it totally obsolete. For the exact same price you get a hand full of extra games and a very significant video option if you run VGA or HDMI in your cab.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Hate to necro a thread but I've got a question for those of you who have the legit King of Air board (the one that looks like a mini ps4.) Mine is a bootleg that runs most of the games fine, but I cannot make games full screen on my Egret. Can any of you get your legit one full screen?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I take it you've adjusted the monitor controls as much as possible? Do your original PCBs display full screen? If so, it could just be a quirk with the bootleg board or your particular monitor chassis because the original (if you could term it that) King of Air's I've seen and played on were all full screen.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I take it you've adjusted the monitor controls as much as possible? Do your original PCBs display full screen? If so, it could just be a quirk with the bootleg board or your particular monitor chassis because the original (if you could term it that) King of Air's I've seen and played on were all full screen.

Yeah I have. Thanks for checking for me, I'll dump this one and get one of the mini ps4 looking ones.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Just out of interest, what monitor chassis do you have in your Egret? I know some of these boards (multi-boards in general) have a weird sync that makes them act up on certain monitors, or at least need more tweaking than most PCBs to get it to look right and it might be just an incompatibility between the monitor chassis and the multi-board. Have you got another cab you can try it on?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Just out of interest, what monitor chassis do you have in your Egret? I know some of these boards (multi-boards in general) have a weird sync that makes them act up on certain monitors, or at least need more tweaking than most PCBs to get it to look right and it might be just an incompatibility between the monitor chassis and the multi-board. Have you got another cab you can try it on?

It's a stock ms9. I've tried it on the neo 25 but that monitor is much smaller and I don't want to mess with the geometry on it, as it's perfect for neo geo.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
An MS9 should have no problems with it. I've seen original King of Air boards on MS9s and they were full screen, so it is probably down to the bootleg board.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
An MS9 should have no problems with it. I've seen original King of Air boards on MS9s and they were full screen, so it is probably down to the bootleg board.

Thanks! Gonna unload this boot and get a PB4. Wasn't there something about being able to switch KOA and PB4 with a text edit?

Jarryson

New Challenger
I consoloized two Pandoras box 3 with Pandoras box X 705 games image. I installed the rgb amp in my pandora and image quality is better than without rgb amp. I recommend install it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I consoloized two Pandoras box 3 with Pandoras box X 705 games image. I installed the rgb amp in my pandora and image quality is better than without rgb amp. I recommend install it.

This sounds interesting.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Why would you need an RGB amp, sounds more like a buffer.

Jarryson

New Challenger
Why would you need an RGB amp, sounds more like a buffer.

I installed the Rgb amp just out of curiosity, you can see the difference in this photo I took.

Same pandora, same CRT tv and same phone which I took the photo.

More pics and my consolized pandoras box 3 here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mhlx9ztwxbyy6pe/AACFktADNv3CyXPgVV9JcD0oa?dl=0

i4fm02.png

Attachments

• i4fm02.png
    i4fm02.png
    633.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
LOL @ "consolizing" these things.

Buy a fucking Pi or find a USFF PC.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Based on those pics it looks better without the amp to me, with the amp it looks washed out.

Jarryson

New Challenger

I have pi and usff, thanks for the recommendation. I made this pandora for a UK friend, I have other with rgb amb but I use it with supergun.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

It's more for people that have cabs that want it dual purpose, if someone is consolizing it without the intention of putting it in a cab ever then yes, I agree, just get a Pi.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Based on those pics it looks better without the amp to me, with the amp it looks washed out.

Exactly, it does look worse with the amp. Input/output values might be wrong. If the amp is done right then the picture on the left would have the same contrast, better color and a little brighter.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Looking to pick up a 4S for shits and giggles. Noticed they put Cotton AND USAAF Mustang on the PB4S, screen tearing aside, do they run like dogshit? (sound issues etc.)

geise

Mickey's Coach
USAAF Mustang even in current mame I believe still has sound issues but music is now added. No idea what Final Burn Alpha has done with this game (which is the emulator this board uses). Last I played of it on my pb3 I had sound issues plus the image res locked.

Wow what a huge thread! I will admit I did read thru it all but I did a search.

Couple questions.
How many games use 4 or less buttons? I don't want to add any to my Neo. Couldn't find a list.

I have a MV-1c that will be hooked up to a Jamma switcher 2-1. Do I need to modify the Pandora to work with Jamma? I assume something will need to be done with the stereo.

Thanks!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
How many games use 4 or less buttons? I don't want to add any to my Neo. Couldn't find a list.

Most of them. Obvious exceptions being the Capcom fighters and Battle K-Road, off the top of my head.

It's still enough to keep you occupied.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's pretty much just fighting games that use more than 4 buttons.

On the Jamma edge the Pandora is mono like most jamma games. You'd pull stereo from a separate headphone jack on the side.