Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So your who I bought my adapters off ebay from! :P

On a side note can someone do me a solid?

I have a PB3 and Tetris grand master runs and sounds like shit on it. Does anyone have a PB they can test the Tetris grand master on and see if the rom runs any better this time around?

Better yet if someone has both can they test the game and see if they think it runs any better?

Thanks dude.

Which PB has it? I got both a PB3 and PB4.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nah man those adapters are the shit. Thank you!

Its apparently on both mate, Ive tried the one on V3 and its awful.

I'll check it on the PB4 but I'm pretty sure the sound is still crappy.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've been looking up and down the thread for a little guidance on the PB4. I know XX has one, could you fill me in with a source, does it produce 240p on CGA? I can't tell by looking at youtube videos and the info here got all kinds of clustered fucked along with swapping SD cards with KOA and what have you, I dunno what is what during them posts.

I did ordered a KOA CGA VGA setup, let's hope for the best as far as 240p goes. I read something along the linesthat the PB4 has a filter all over the games, is it on VGA mode only or is CGA affected as well? All them video reviews are either running on LCDs or the CRT videos are awful.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate it and I'm sure it will help to clear things up a bit from the shitstorm that's been going on with the SD swap and stuff.

Incidentally, XX do you still have more Atlas Adapters?

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I've been looking up and down the thread for a little guidance on the PB4. I know XX has one, could you fill me in with a source, does it produce 240p on CGA? I can't tell by looking at youtube videos and the info here got all kinds of clustered fucked along with swapping SD cards with KOA and what have you, I dunno what is what during them posts.

I did ordered a KOA CGA VGA setup, let's hope for the best as far as 240p goes. I read something along the linesthat the PB4 has a filter all over the games, is it on VGA mode only or is CGA affected as well? All them video reviews are either running on LCDs or the CRT videos are awful.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate it and I'm sure it will help to clear things up a bit from the shitstorm that's been going on with the SD swap and stuff.

Incidentally, XX do you still have more Atlas Adapters?

I just got a PB4. Here's what I have observed.

CGA output is 240p.

Just like my PB2, Capcom games seem to be running at native res. They look nice and sharp with no filtering/scaling effects. On the PB4, the left side of the screen isn't cut off like the PB2. Capcom games look damn near perfect (except for screen tearing).

Everything else is scaled to the same resolution as Capcom games, and this is where the blurry filter comes in. In the PB2, it used sharp, but uneven scaling. It looked like the scaling effect when zoomed out in Samurai Shodown. In PB4, they trade the rough scaling for a little blur (probably bilinear filtering). I prefer the way PB4 handles scaling. It kind of looks like you're playing on a monitor that has seen better days, but it doesn't bug me as much as seeing a permanent Neo Geo zoom effect.

Just like PB2, there is no vsync, so there's screen tearing whenever it scrolls or flashes.

In VGA mode, both the PB2 & PB4 use bilinear filtering for all games.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I'll have all 3 of these soon. And I plan on doing a few different Pepsi challenges with them, to sort out the best graphical presentation.

CGA
VGA
VGA+mak line doubler
VGA + sega I/O into a CGA cab (cave 360 games look *sweet* this way)

????? I'm open to more suggestions...

My goal is to get as close to the 240p/no tearing/OEM aesthetic as possible.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Thanks Vigormortis. I see a few different sellers at Aliexpress, where did you get yours from? I just hate to get a bootleg of a bootleg you know!

Wataru, PB3 is best on CGA, VGA tears down a bit more.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks Vigormortis. I see a few different sellers at Aliexpress, where did you get yours from? I just hate to get a bootleg of a bootleg you know!

Wataru, PB3 is best on CGA, VGA tears down a bit more.

I actually got mine at Amazon because I happened to have a gift card. I would have used Aliexpress otherwise. As long as the case is sort of shaped like a PS4 and it specifically mentions CGA output, you should be fine.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
K7000 issues with PB3

Does anyone know if they corrected the issue with K7000 monitors on the PB4?

On the PB3, no matter how much you adjust the horizontal width coil, you can never fill the screen -there's always about an inch on either side.

Uarchive

n00b
I purchased a Pandora's Box 3 recently for my MVS. (there wasn't enough material on the Box 4 for me to justify more of an investment) It looks nothing like the PCB on page #1 of this thread. It's more of a backwards 'L' shape with the Micro SD glued into the slot near the top. If requested I can take pictures. The problem is I get no response from the controls. Of all the functions that it can do, it can: Display prefect picture, prefect sound, test and service buttons and coin all work fine. However the joysticks and buttons don't work at all. Is there something I am missing?

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I purchased a Pandora's Box 3 recently for my MVS. (there wasn't enough material on the Box 4 for me to justify more of an investment) It looks nothing like the PCB on page #1 of this thread. However the joysticks and buttons don't work at all. Is there something I am missing?

This all has been discussed previously in the thread

The PB3 you bought is a fake rebranded game elf. The performance is no where near as good as the actual unit (looks like a PS4) shown by the OP.

The reason why your buttons don't work is the harness is not standard jamma. Some of the button inputs use pins that are normally ground on standard Jamma. If you wish to use the board on your MVS you will have to purchase the adapter (also previously discussed on this thread) OR re-wire your harness but then you won't be able to go back to MVS

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I purchased a Pandora's Box 3 recently for my MVS. (there wasn't enough material on the Box 4 for me to justify more of an investment) It looks nothing like the PCB on page #1 of this thread. It's more of a backwards 'L' shape with the Micro SD glued into the slot near the top. If requested I can take pictures. The problem is I get no response from the controls. Of all the functions that it can do, it can: Display prefect picture, prefect sound, test and service buttons and coin all work fine. However the joysticks and buttons don't work at all. Is there something I am missing?

Your button and joystick grounds are probably wired to pins 27 and/or e on the jamma harness. The pb uses these as extra button inputs instead of grounds, so you will either need to move those ground wires over to pins 28 & f or buy an adapter like the one Xian xi sells.

sounds like you have the crap version of the pb3. The one kind of shaped like a ps4 = good. The one that looks similar to a mvs cart = bad. People complain of worse emulation on that version.

Uarchive

n00b
Damnit! I was hoping to get my illegal mini PC jamma bootleg device the legit way! Lol, the good news is the Chinese company I got it from refunded my money. I'd locve to buy a converter for my MVS to play regular JAMMA, I'd prefer to not rewire it. That's a ton of work. However I cannot find a suitable converter. Jammaboards.com had them, but they have closed doors due to some personal tragedy, and every person I have tried to contact about building one is silent. I'd easily pay for a converter if I could find one. But at least my PCB of Bad Dudes works flawlessly!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Damnit! I was hoping to get my illegal mini PC jamma bootleg device the legit way! Lol, the good news is the Chinese company I got it from refunded my money. I'd locve to buy a converter for my MVS to play regular JAMMA, I'd prefer to not rewire it. That's a ton of work. However I cannot find a suitable converter. Jammaboards.com had them, but they have closed doors due to some personal tragedy, and every person I have tried to contact about building one is silent. I'd easily pay for a converter if I could find one. But at least my PCB of Bad Dudes works flawlessly!

I can build you one but I'm just waiting on new adapters to come in, should be here in about a week.

Uarchive

n00b
And this will allow me to play older jamma based games without issue? Most of what i want to play is 1995 and below

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
And this will allow me to play older jamma based games without issue? Most of what i want to play is 1995 and below

It's complete passthough except it fixes the audio issue and routes the JAMMA test to the select button. Shoot me a PM or an email.

Elder

NEST Puppet
I just got my PB4, and now waiting for James to get stock of those adapters. Quite curious to see how CPS1 and 2 games stack up to the real thing.

havok666

n00b
Considering the PB4 for my 4 slot MVS, interested in hearing some more impressions.

I already have an MVS to Jamma converter so I'll just have to grab a JAMMA to china JAMMA adapter from Xian Xi.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Let's not read through out the thread...nah, what for?, the info you're looking for couldn't possibly be within the 873 posts in this thread...no way...just ask for the gazillionth time...