Gamestop to start selling classic games and consoles

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I really hope this does not pan out. Hopefully most people won't be dumb enough to give up old games for 2.00$ store credit. Gameslob is already extremely corrupt and irresponsible. The last thing we need is them skyrocketing prices for classic games. I can hear all the hipster noobcakes clamoring for GS to do this and it makes me sick.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
This is good news - maybe now I'll be able to get all those old neo geo homecarts I've been wanting. And a pippin.

rgarla.tn550

New Challenger
I wonder if we will start seeing them trash retro game boxes and manuals too. Nothing more sad ten when they threw away all those PS2 cases.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Wasn't this brought up a few years ago and a supposed vault that they had all some left over retro games that they were going to sell?? Whatever happened to that?

Ahh, found it. This is what they were selling:

https://www.gamestop.com/poweruprewards/pur/index/retrogamevault

Some vault....

Cause GS reward points are so easy to come by:

Based on the higher 20 points per dollar. So trade-ins/pre-owned purchases only.

360 Wireless controller: 35,000 points, $1750
Turtle Beach X11 Headset: 38,500 points, $1925
$5 off a Preplayed game: 4,000 points, $200
360 Afterglow Controller: 18,200 points, $910

So Kung Fu being in a $5 bargin bin even today. I assume would be in the 4k to 10k point range. So $200 to $500 amount spent on preowned or traded-in.

You break it down to even simpler terms $1000 worth of preowned purchase/trade-in value = $20 item.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Well, a part of me hopes this will destroy the local ass rape game shop here in town.

I'm thinking that Gamestop is feeling the pinch vs the used video game stores. There is a chain around here and their prices are literally insane. They have no concern for the condition of games. They sell games loose, with box or complete for the same price. They put stupid stickers on everything. They put a premium on import games, even ones that no one will ever buy or be able to use... I think one example is one of those horse racing comes on SFC that worked with that satellite thing... loose for $10.

Maybe Gamestop is going into these stores and say "hey these guys are selling SMB on NES for $20!" and its stupid because people must be paying these prices or else it wouldn't be $20. SMB3 for $30. Gamestop be like "we can rip people off too!" but I think they might be late to the game.

I can see this going a few different ways... It could be a sign to lead up to the crash of the "retro" video game market. It could drive up the cost of boxed or CIB games because we know Gamestop is known for tossing packaging if they run out of space. Or maybe they will make the market balance out and not have everything at scalper's prices.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
As long as they don't do ass-rapery prices for consoles, I welcome them selling old shit.

At least you can get a fat stack of SMB/DH carts and flip them online for some rares. :P

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
This is good news - maybe now I'll be able to get all those old neo geo homecarts I've been wanting. And a pippin.

I am going the other direction and will be trading in some homecarts for credit towards a xbox one. I figure copies of ms3, msx and voltage fighter should be enough yea.

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
I wonder if we will start seeing them trash retro game boxes and manuals too. Nothing more sad ten when they threw away all those PS2 cases.

Gamestop is stupid, but not THIS stupid (hopefully). I think they know there's good money in selling CIB games, and throwing them away would be like throwing away money.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Gamestopm is doomed to fall sooner or later, this might be a last resort thing. I'm all for Gamestop to shut down for good and have the mom & pop shops return. I don't mind paying a little extra over internet prices if I can walk out of a store with game in hand. Also and very important, I want a cool store, good people, good ambiance. Just day dreaming of course, those days will never return.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Gamestopm is doomed to fall sooner or later, this might be a last resort thing. I'm all for Gamestop to shut down for good and have the mom & pop shops return. I don't mind paying a little extra over internet prices if I can walk out of a store with game in hand. Also and very important, I want a cool store, good people, good ambiance. Just day dreaming of course, those days will never return.

I for one have hope that when gamestop shoots themself in the foot enough times and finally bleeds out, that the mom & pop shops would return. I think it can happen.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

There is a lot to be said about being able to buy games in person as opposed to online - that is definitely my preference even if I have to pay a bit more.

Though probably not much better than Gamestop, I've been buying a lot more current gen stuff from Best Buy lately. Their My Gamers Club is worth checking out - $30 for a 2 year membership which gets you 20% percent of all new game purchases (regardless of price)...so basically any $60 game comes to $48. A $20 would be $16. Plus $10 giftcards for any pre-order. Coupons etc. I've had my membership for just a couple of months and it has already paid off.

And at least they don't try to pass off opened games as "new" and don't gunk em up with nasty stickers, (usually)...

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I for one have hope that when gamestop shoots themself in the foot enough times and finally bleeds out, that the mom & pop shops would return. I think it can happen.
Let's keep our fingers crossed. Gamestop is just horrible for all the reasons Moe just talked about and that's just one end, they treat their employees like crap, specially the store manager.

There is a lot to be said about being able to buy games in person as opposed to online - that is definitely my preference even if I have to pay a bit more.

Though probably not much better than Gamestop, I've been buying a lot more current gen stuff from Best Buy lately. Their My Gamers Club is worth checking out - $30 for a 2 year membership which gets you 20% percent of all new game purchases (regardless of price)...so basically any $60 game comes to $48. A $20 would be $16. Plus $10 giftcards for any pre-order. Coupons etc. I've had my membership for just a couple of months and it has already paid off.

And at least they don't try to pass off opened games as "new" and don't gunk em up with nasty stickers, (usually)...
Woo, that's something I'm gonna look into, thanks for the heads up, there's a bestbuy next to the gamestop I frequent and hell why even bother with gamestop if bestbuy is easier to deal with. I bought a couple of used games from best buy before and they were pretty minty. Gamestop sucks on that aspect they take whatever crap comes in and treat it even worse when labeling for sale. I hate stickers so much.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I have few Genesis games (Gaiares, Granada, MUSHA and Gunstar Heroes) I can trade in :)

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Cause GS reward points are so easy to come by:

Based on the higher 20 points per dollar. So trade-ins/pre-owned purchases only.

360 Wireless controller: 35,000 points, $1750
Turtle Beach X11 Headset: 38,500 points, $1925
$5 off a Preplayed game: 4,000 points, $200
360 Afterglow Controller: 18,200 points, $910

So Kung Fu being in a $5 bargin bin even today. I assume would be in the 4k to 10k point range. So $200 to $500 amount spent on preowned or traded-in.

You break it down to even simpler terms $1000 worth of preowned purchase/trade-in value = $20 item.

I currently have over 65k GameStop rewards points saved up.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Best Buy used to be a great place in the early 2000s to buy Dreamcast and PS2 games. Now their selection of new games is limited. I just don't like their store layout anymore either.

I rarely go to Gamestop anymore - I just go to Target to get games with the redcard or buy from Amazon.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
lol, I guess they're plan to start selling smartphones isn't working out so hot ... :keke:

also I plan to start posting more often now that I know the kekeke smilie is once again available

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I doubt this would have any sort of positive effect in the overall used game market. Most likely it will make it worse. I imagine people will start using Gamestop to gauge the prices of their games and causing everything to go up in price.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
A couple local guys are completely convinced this will be the saviour of gaming, and every Gamestop in town will magically pop fifty copies of Earthbound into existance priced at five bucks each. Apparently they weren't paying attention during the whole Xenoblade deal.