MVS Conversion Panel Joystick

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I bought a cheap MVS conversion cab's control panel a few months back with plans to convert it to a stand-alone dual joystick for my CMVS & CDZ. Last night I was inspired to wire it up after getting back from the Midwest Gaming Classic.

The box is made from leftover hickory flooring panels, and I re-cut the original backing from a fresh piece of pine that I painted with a hammered black finish. I also removed the ugly black overlay stickers and replaced most of the switches with new cherries. The original sticks and buttons cleaned up perfectly, and I lubed the sticks with silicone grease. I was going to recut the plexi too, but it polished up pretty well with a Novus kit, and probably looks better than what I could make to replace it.

It feels almost like the real thing.

_DSC7054.jpg
_DSC7062.jpg
[SUP]There's a white credit button on each side that you can't see in the pictures. [/SUP]
_DSC7067.jpg

Before:
1_57.jpg
7_57.jpg

Last edited:

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Nice work!
Are you gonna paint the front or just natural color?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Nice work!
Are you gonna paint the front or just natural color?
Thanks! I was originally planning on painting the whole thing black, but the wood polished up enough that I decided to keep its factory finish. It's really dense wood and ate drill bits like nothing I've seen before.

Randomsense

New Challenger
I've actually been thinking about doing something like this for a while but just haven't had the time. Looks nice.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I've actually been thinking about doing something like this for a while but just haven't had the time. Looks nice.
Thanks, in the end I would have been better off just using a repro control panel overlay, since I had to rebuild the whole thing anyways. If you're going to take on something similar, I'd recommend going that route. I'm happy with how this turned out, because it looks and feels like a tank. If it were pristine, I'd always be afraid of fucking it up :D

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
that is awesome! i would love to do something like this myself but i suck with soldering or working with wires and stuff. would love to see the finished product

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I bought a cheap MVS conversion cab's control panel a few months back with plans to convert it to a stand-alone dual joystick for my CMVS & CDZ. Last night I was inspired to wire it up after getting back from the Midwest Gaming Classic.

The box is made from leftover hickory flooring panels, and I re-cut the original backing from a fresh piece of pine that I painted with a hammered black finish. I also removed the ugly black overlay stickers and replaced most of the switches with new cherries. The original sticks and buttons cleaned up perfectly, and I lubed the sticks with silicone grease. I was going to recut the plexi too, but it polished up pretty well with a Novus kit, and probably looks better than what I could make to replace it.

It feels almost like the real thing.

View attachment 24473
View attachment 24474
[SUP]There's a white credit button on each side that you can't see in the pictures. [/SUP]
View attachment 24475

Before:
View attachment 24476
View attachment 24477
Whatever you do with joysticks, there is no substitute for actually owning a cab. Which brand joysticks are they, Happ?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Whatever you do with joysticks, there is no substitute for actually owning a cab. Which brand joysticks are they, Happ?
One day I'll own a cab, but for now I have to keep things portable. It's one of the downsides of living back and forth between two countries.

Happ, yes. They're the older type with nylon actuators and are roughly equivalent to IL Eurosticks.

Randomsense

New Challenger
Thanks, in the end I would have been better off just using a repro control panel overlay, since I had to rebuild the whole thing anyways. If you're going to take on something similar, I'd recommend going that route. I'm happy with how this turned out, because it looks and feels like a tank. If it were pristine, I'd always be afraid of fucking it up :D

Yea, while I was doing some research a while back for this I ran across some Neo Geo drilling templates I filed away for reference. Figured it might be useful when I finally had time to actually start the project. I don't remember where I found them but they are signed Crowquilll 7/07.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
God damn it. Dad died of his cancer last week and this is the last project we did together. I can't look at the fucking thing anymore without breaking down.

I'll post new pictures of how it stands now when I pull myself together. A few weeks ago I replaced all of the buttons with new Happs, and the sticks are both now IL Euro Sticks. I actually liked the look of the original parts better (which weren't Happ parts after all), but the new ones feel infinitely better.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
God damn it. Dad died of his cancer last week and this is the last project we did together. I can't look at the fucking thing anymore without breaking down.

I'll post new pictures of how it stands now when I pull myself together. A few weeks ago I replaced all of the buttons with new Happs, and the sticks are both now IL Euro Sticks. I actually liked the look of the original parts better (which weren't Happ parts after all), but the new ones feel infinitely better.

My sincere condolences for your loss. Hopefully in the long run you can appreciate the joystick as a monument to your father and the great work you produced together. A valuable family heirloom.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper

Sorry to hear that man. That's the shittiest of the shitty right there. One thing is for certain. That control panel will bring you more fun than before with the awesome fact that he helped you with it. My father helped me with the projects I posted for my big bday project. He got up off the sofa with the flu and worked with me for 4 hours. It makes me proud just to say that. so I know if he died recently I'd be a fucking wreck for a long ass time. My condolences and remember to play the shit outta it when you feel up to it.
I wish you the best dude.