SF2 Rainbow Edition

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I think a lot of the MA Crew guys would remember the old "Combat Zone" arcade. They used to have dozens of these lined up in rows, complete with graffiti, knife carvings and bulletholes.

Yep, I would have hated my life if I was a tech there. I remember walking upto a SFII: CE and the RH button was completely melted together and stuck closed from someone leaving a Cig on it.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Gief can lariat off the screen permanently in a lot of versions as well. Some of the hacks are playable for laughs in MAME/FBA.

bdlou

Quiz Detective
Used to have this at the Dairy Queen across from my school in Vegas. My favorite memory of this is when I figured out how to counter all the horseshit people did using Balrog. The game let you do move in mid-air with zero charge time. In the air once you perform a move, if the opponent is attacking or had a projectile on screen, you could then block in mid air. You could also jump out of a block in the air, allowing you to go higher and higher, even through the screen. These versions also had "mid-air throws" in the sense that if you were vertically in range to perform a throw, no matter if you were in the air or not, the throw was performed. So, I'd start the round by doing a dash punch in the air, then a block, then jump, then another dash punch, then block. When they'd get below me, I'd turn it into a "throw" (Balrog's headbutts) in the middle of the air. You just absorb them into the sky like a vacuum and headbutt the shit out of them. It was beautiful, because I'd always get the "You picked Balrog? The fuck is wrong with you?" Then I'd murder them. Good times.

Haha, that's an awesome strat! I did something similar with Dhalsim when I played Rainbow Edition, I'd just abuse MP throw/"yoga noogie" (he has a crazy forward walking speed that helped with it).

Last edited:

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I still remember playing this at a local gas station way back in the day. Not only was it a SF2 hack, but the freaking cab had the buttons on the left and joystick on my right.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Yep, they were pretty common over here back in the early/mid 90s. It's hard to imagine why, they were really garbage to play tbh. Complete novelty.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Back when I was a kid it used to be pretty common to find cabs running SF2 hacks.

Same here every arcade and convenience store had a hacked SFII. It was always fun to throw 5 Hadokens every time you did a Shoryuken

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I remember playing a version that you could air jump up and up many times as you threw fireballs/booms. I also vaguely remember the projectiles would move in a sin pattern...
Don't know which versions these were, but they were around quite a bit in the wild, which was a bit disappointing every time I came across one BITD, because I wanted to just play the original and not the crazy shit the hacks would have.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
It was very common here, we used to just think it was a new official version of street fighter though. It wasn't until the internet age I learnt it was actually a hack. They all came from Hong Kong according to the ex op I deal with.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Those hacks sound dreadful. I assume the only people that enjoyed them weren't terribly good at the normal game.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Those hacks sound dreadful. I assume the only people that enjoyed them weren't terribly good at the normal game.

Correct. We had one on campus back in the 90s and anybody that was good at sf2 would not play it as it was so unbalanced. Was near for the first few matches figuring out what all you could do different but it got incredibly cheap at times and lost appeal quickly.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm good at both, hacks and the real thing. To me is just fundo.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Only say one once, in a hotel arcade. I didn't have anyone to play against so it was more of a "figure out funny ways to rofflestomp the a.i." type of experience.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
There were a bunch of these around where I lived. I remember 3 versions. The first had wavy projectiles. Most people would fill the screen with sonic booms, then switch to bison a fly back and forth ridiculously fast. The next version had heat seeking projectiles which was pretty lame since it ended up being a guile vs guile who can fill the screen up quickest contest. The last one was the best IMO. Projectiles flew normal, but at exaggerated speeds. So you could throw one with jab, and charge the opponent, pull off a good combo or throw them back into the projectile. Had alot of fun with that version.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Found it randomly at a bar once, just as bad and cheesy as the vids online show.

You could switch characters on the fly by hitting the start button.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
It was for a week in a bar near home. Start button to change character. Vega "climbed" in every background. Ryu and Ken hadoken were 2 fireballs moving in a wave motion (sin, -sin trayectory), and REALLY slow when using weak punch. Shoryuken also launched fireballs if I recall correctly.

Also, sometime when changing characters you could get a character with the wrong pallete. Once I had ken with this awesome Blue gi colored kinda like nightcrawler/cyclops from Xmen arcade (like shadows inverted with brighter blue in the borders). Looked rad. Also once, changing characters the next one became a mid-hurricane kick ryu that just moved around the screen, not animating at all. Then the game crashed.

It made a deep impact in me because until I knew about hacks I could never find about it again. In fact I'm not even sure the version I played is even emulated...

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Looks like a lot of people here haven't messed with sine wave functions outside of their calculator. :keke:

fluxcore

Another Striker
Koryu is probably one of the... less stupid... versions, although it still is super unbalanced. Ryu jab DP to fill the screen with fireballs, which if it causes dizzy, then hard DP for the win. If they can't negate the fireballs they basically die to that.

Tiger Flame!

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I'm sure most of you guys have at least heard of this game. The hacked version of SF2 that wound up in come cabs with crazy shit like homing fireballs and mid match character changes. Has anybody ever seen one of these in the wild before? I'm curious to know how common these were.
When I first heard about those hacked versions of SF2, I though why didn't SF2 Turbo have some of those moves? They could have had things like air fireballs, and still kept the gameplay balance. Maybe they though air fireballs would be too powerful. But then Akuma had them in SSF2T. Capcom probably just wanted to release a tamer (safer) version of the bootlegs, to stop the lost money when people switched from SF2CE to the hacked versions.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Here is rainbow edition i did a long time ago. Blanka goes crazy.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Haha here's a shitty vid some of my friends made of koryuu. Sound is all out of sync but whatever.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
They were all over the place in Ireland about a year after sf2 came out. Personally I never gave them the time of day. I used to have all the original sf2 boards including a sf2ce Capcom board that had rainbow edition Rom chips. For some reason it sold for more than the originals I had.