Glue for CMVS Sockets...

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Odd question, but can anyone recommend glue for securing my DIN socket to the plastic shell of this MVB-1FZ unit? I've tried Zap-a Gap style thin plastic cement - but that lasted less than a week... Unfortunately I didn't source a Mini-DIN with screw back...

Cheers!

IMAG0471.jpg

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Good ol' hot glue is pretty much the go-to. It holds well, but can be removed without damaging the plastic if you mess up. Also, there are threaded versions of panel mount DINs that secure with a nut on the back. These are much more secure than the simple "pop in" design.

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Cheers. I couldn't find a source for a threaded version. That would certainly have helped...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The way I do the non-screw types are I use hot glue on the front to line everything up and then I use a clear epoxy in the back around the socket. Once the epoxy is cured, I peel off the hot glue on the front.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm filing that under the "Why didn't I think of that?" file.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
The way I do the non-screw types are I use hot glue on the front to line everything up and then I use a clear epoxy in the back around the socket. Once the epoxy is cured, I peel off the hot glue on the front.
Yeah, that is brilliant.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Cheers. I couldn't find a source for a threaded version. That would certainly have helped...

I've used these a few times. I like to add some hot glue around where the nut/plastic housing meet for extra stability, but that's probably not essential once it's torqued down reasonably well.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member

Freaking GENIUS! I have a project coming up and I've been wondering how to do something like that.

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Hi guys! Thanks for the tips! I've got some screw backs ordered from Digi-Key now and will try hot glue / epoxy on my current installation.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
oops, guess I should stop posting for another year :P

Nah, these 8 pin mini sockets have become very popular within the past year, I don't blame you since before that everyone just used the normal din ones. Now a crapload of people own XRGB minis.

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
ah.

actually a friend just contacted me, wants a supergun with rgb for his xrgb. He already has the cable for the SMS/genesis, i would just need an 8pin regular din for that, yes?