NG: DEV SCOREBOARD

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
You got 3 days left before I post my next score.
Here´s some motivation for you. SHOOT OR DIE!

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
So I couldn´t keep myself from trying it once between work and sleep to see how the scoring system works.

Well, turns out there´s a hard limit on scoring

f5PZLN.jpg

Mendel - 655,350 - 77:15 - FI - Neo

Yes, I failed vs the final boss lol. Anyways, the score stopped increasing before I died so I think that is the maximum obtainable score. (sorry :D ). 16 bit counter and extra digit for number of continues used.

Next I think I will try and see if I can get to the max score faster and finish too.

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Mendel, that's ridiculous.

I had no idea you could max out your score. I guess any ties will have to be broken based on time then.

Your move EG :keke:

I put in a few runs last night and got up to the mid boss on stage 3 with just under 100,000 pts. That took almost 20 minutes of work which makes what you did all the more impressive.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh fuck, thanks Mendel, such a class act, yeah max the score you bum!

Weird max score though, could it fluctuate due to enemy shutdown per stage?

Well either way I got my work cut out for myself. I'm gonna start watching Mendel's videos and work my way to glory!

pipes

Razion - Maniac

pipes - 27,923,850 - Stage 1 - Neo

Spoiler:

I didn't realized how different it is going from normal to maniac. They really do feel like completely different games. Not only are there more bullets but they also behave differently and there's the addition of new enemies on top of that too.

Last edited:

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Weird max score though, could it fluctuate due to enemy shutdown per stage?

You will find that 2 to the power of 16 is 65536.
So if you have a 16 bit counter, you can have 65536 different values.
if you include 0 as one of the values, then 65535 will be the maximum value in a 16 bit counter.
They have a 16 bit counter for score clearly as the max score is 655350. Again, that final digit is not actually part of score, there has to be a separate counter for the last digit and that only tells you the number of continues used.

I was grinding for enemies here and there by dying and killing them again. But only in the very end did I learn that actually the max score can be "easily" reached by grinding the little green enemies that keep spawning during the final boss. They give a lot of points, then you can die and kill them again. Of course it helps if you get to the final boss with 20 lives or more. (I had lost a lot of lives elsewhere because of grinding in wrong places so I actually ran out of lives during the final boss... oops!) The score stops increasing once you reach 655350.

I had no idea you could max out your score. I guess any ties will have to be broken based on time then.

Either that or use the collected gems % counter for order.

Last edited:

pipes

So, that's it...WTF?

I really thought there would be much more interest than this. I'm disappointed.

1600 views and only 5 guys posting scores....what is everyone looking at? I'm close to just forgetting this whole thing and letting it die. I'm not going to care if nobody else does.

I'll give it another week and then I'm just going to shut it down if it continues this way.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You can't shut it down, that'd be dumb. Let the interest build up, it will on its own.

We have a Neo Turf Masters score thread now and I modeled it after your (score tables/ format) and it is slowly getting some heat. Some people like myself are interested in this thread but we simply want to submit decent scores. You took on the mantle, you can't go back we need the thread to stay open, it ain't harming you so let it be.

pipes

I hear you....I'm just frustrated by the lack of participation.

I like that you went ahead and built off this idea to create the NTM score thread. The enthusiasm I see there is what I was expecting here as well.

For the love of God....someone post a fucking score of something in the next 24 hours....an NES game, Genesis, Atari...anything....I don't even care at this point. Just something to show that I'm not alone here.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I hear you....I'm just frustrated by the lack of participation.

I like that you went ahead and built off this idea to create the NTM score thread. The enthusiasm I see there is what I was expecting here as well.

For the love of God....someone post a fucking score of something in the next 24 hours....an NES game, Genesis, Atari...anything....I don't even care at this point. Just something to show that I'm not alone here.

I will do a couple run through's later on one of these. Been meaning to, haha.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OK I'm gonna play some Neo XYX and post whatever I can come up with, it ain't gonna be much though but I'll do what I can.

Gunlord I'm gonna wait, I'm still so feeble on this it's pretty laughable, haven't been able to clear the game yet.

pipes

EG: You need a break from all that golf brother.

Also, you just can't appreciate how amazing Mendel's scores are until you put a few runs of your own together. The man knows his Gunlord.

Last edited:

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Yea I´d definitely like to see someone else post a score of some kind on Gunlord :)

I´ll probably revisit it myself too sometime next month when I have my summer holiday. That arcade mode score definitely can still be improved and the regular score should be there with a completion and not death on the boss.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I hope this stays around - I plan to post up here; just time is very tight right now, but when I do have chunks of time, I hope to have some conversation and friendly competition here.

Honestly, I can tell you first hand, i've done a lot of these HS threads and there are generally 5-10 people playing for every 1 person posting. Not sure if it's pride or what, but some folks won't post if they think a score should be higher.

Regardless, it'll just trigger one day, someone will come post something and boom, it'll take off for a few weeks, then it'll die back down, then it'll go again.

I'd love to play some XYX, but I don't like to rotate this particular monitor too often, it's a 2-person job (35" HDCRT). This is probably the one NGDEV game I should've opted for MVS on to play in the cab. That said, I will TATE again eventually and I hope there are folks still in this thread...

tl;dr - keep plugging and promoting, my friend.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Of course it is pride, why else would you want to take part of a score thread if it isn't to measure you dick against the rest?

I'll post my lame Gunlord & Neo XYX scores just so pipes doesn't falter...

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Sorry man, should take the time to post more Razion scores. While I also have gunlord, my scores there are so meaningless that it's better not to embarrass myself by posting them.

Regards.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
elctricgroovaloo said:
why else would you want to take part of a score thread if it isn't to measure you dick against the rest?

For me the top reasons are:
chart my own progress
to see who is better and get advice from them
help the other people who are playing the game by sharing strategies

That’s what high score threads are all about man, the dick measuring is just an added bonus.
Sharing high scores is a way good players get better, muff said. ;)

pipes

For me the top reasons are:
chart my own progress
to see who is better and get advice from them
help the other people who are playing the game by sharing strategies

That's exactly what I was aiming for with this. A way for you to see how you stack up to others and a motivation to help you improve. If it's just to dick measure then I might as well lock up the GunLord score table now. Mendels schlong is scraping the ground on that one.