Chihiro Type 3 netboot issue

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Ive been tryinf to get outrun 2sp running in my naomi universal. I have a type 3 board with 1GB of ram. I just bought a zero pic from Mitsurugi-W that was specifically for the type 3. I also have a pi setup running piforcetools. I can get the game to boot but after about a minute, it resets and gives me an error 33.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Ive been tryinf to get outrun 2sp running in my naomi universal. I have a type 3 board with 1GB of ram. I just bought a zero pic from Mitsurugi-W that was specifically for the type 3. I also have a pi setup running piforcetools. I can get the game to boot but after about a minute, it resets and gives me an error 33.

And he comes crawling back at the first sign of trouble.....

giphy.gif

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer

I can tell you what Sega wrote in the Chihiro Type-3 service manual, but I'm guessing you already know...

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Do other 1GB games run?
What about the 512MB ones?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Tbh I haven't tried loading a 512 game, just the 1 GB versions of Outrun and ghost squad. Those both do as I described above, but I will try the 512 and post up here in a bit.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Do you have an OEM Triforce Pic chip?

If so, try and net-boot a game with it.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I cannot boot 512mb games. It gives me an error saying that the game is not for the main board. If I pull a 512 ram stick and change the jumper I get an incorrect memory setting.

I do not have an OEM pic for the chihiro and I don't have any triforce hardware.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I cannot boot 512mb games. It gives me an error saying that the game is not for the main board. If I pull a 512 ram stick and change the jumper I get an incorrect memory setting.

I do not have an OEM pic for the chihiro and I don't have any triforce hardware.

I have seen something kind of resembling the issue (just in reverse) on my 512MB Chihiro, but haven't really been able to resolve it sufficiently. Perhaps me explaining my issue might help give you an idea of the things I've tried on my end.

My Set-Up:
I have a 512MB Chihiro Type 3.
I've upgraded the dimm firmware to the latest 4.0 version (found here http://64darksoft.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-ssd-drive-for-triforce-and-chihiro_24.html).
Zerokey PIC installed.
I have Darksoft's SSD Drive Kit (http://64darksoft.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-ssd-drive-for-triforce-and-chihiro.html).
Sega V.1 I/O and Mitsurugi-w's JVS Helper PCB.
I also have a Piforce tools raspberry pi.

What happens:

Default 512MB of ram, Jumpers set to 512MB and CD-ROM.
My Chihiro will work just fine with any 512MB games that I load on the Darksoft SSD.

Install 1GB of Ram, set the Jumpers to 1GB and CD-Rom.
My Chihiro will give me "Error 26 Media Board Malfunctioning." (Which Mitsurugi-w told might be a PIC issue.)

Install 1GB of Ram, set the Jumpers to CD-ROM, but leave the ram set to 512MB.
My Chihiro will give me something like "Error 53(?)" that says the wrong dimm memory is installed.

Hook up my PIFORCE Raspberry Pi netbooter, have either 512MB or 1GB installed, and set the Jumpers to Network and whichever ram setting...
And it'll netboot any game I want without issue. 512MB or 1GB games.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Yeah that's similar but different..haha. When you say jumpers to switch from 512 to 1gb which ones? The guide I'm looking at says just jumper 5.

Also, do you know a place with a list of what all the jumpers do?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Yeah that's similar but different..haha. When you say jumpers to switch from 512 to 1gb which ones? The guide I'm looking at says just jumper 5.

Also, do you know a place with a list of what all the jumpers do?

Yep, jumper 5 is for the memory.

You can find the Jumper Settings for the inside board here:
https://newastrocity.wordpress.com/tag/chihiro/

JUMPER SETTINGS
| Jumper | 1 – 2 | 2 – 3 |
| 5 | 1 GB (two DIMM modules) | 512 MB (one DIMM module) |
| 8 | n/a | Always on 2 – 3 |
| 9 | GD-ROM | Network |
| 10 | Always on 1-2 | n/a |

For the front dip switches, I'm fairly sure those always need to be this for 32khz:
1 down, 2 down, 3 up, 4 up, 5 down, 6 up, 7 up, 8 up

(Changing dip switch 1 to up seems to cause the picture to turn vertical [tate]. But I haven't figured out if any of the other switches change anything like the resolution.)

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Yep, you can find the Jumper Settings for the inside board here:
https://newastrocity.wordpress.com/tag/chihiro/

JUMPER SETTINGS
| Jumper | 1 – 2 | 2 – 3 |
| 5 | 1 GB (two DIMM modules) | 512 MB (one DIMM module) |
| 8 | – | Always on 2 – 3 |
| 9 | GD-ROM | Network |
| 10 | Always on 1-2 | – |

For the front dip switches, I'm fairly sure those always need to be:
1 down, 2 down, 3 up, 4 up, 5 down, 6 up, 7 up, 8 up

Yeah thats the site I was talking about...just got confused when you said jumpers..I though you ment there was more then one for 512/1gb selection. I ha e my dips set the exact same way. This is so fucking annoying.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Error 33 = Gateway Not Found.

Ping the Chihiro.

If Ping NOT successful, then check the router, router settings, and the chihiro network settings.

If Ping successful, then check your pic chip.

(Error 33 before the game starts up (not loads into the dimm) = pic chip.
Error 33 after the game starts up (loads into the dimm) = pic chip.)

Load the game with an OEM GD-ROM and OEM PIC chip.

OR, load the game with an OEM PIC chip and use python2.7 and the netboot.py script.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Why would his Chihiro boot the game and then reset after a minute, though?

Random thought... Could that be something being caused by the caps on the Xbox board going bad?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Maybe 'cause the pic chip is not maintaining the network connection???? :scratch:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The whole idea behind using the pi was to not have to buy a gdrom and the game. I'm starting to think I should have just done that as all I want to play is outrun 2sp.

The error 33 is 1 minute into the game...it load to the dimm finefine and pings respond fine.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Chihiro is not a Naomi 1 or a Naomi 2.

Same company.

But different guts.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I've gone through two pics now. I told mitsu I was using a pi and this is what he said I needed. The first pic wouldn't even get past the media board initialization.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Okay! I was able to replicate DecepticonZero's rebooting issue.

I installed a real Outrun2 game pic, booted up my Piforce raspberry pi, and loaded up Outrun2 SP 512mb version. The game loaded just fine, and then after less than a minute, it restarted and gave me Error 33 Gateway Not Found.

So, yes, it seems the issue might be a problem with the PIC. Have you given Mitsurugi-w a PM? I know the zerokey pic he burned me works fine with a Piforce, so maybe it's just a bad burn? (And yes, the pic that TravistyOJ burned to use with his Piforce kit only works on a Naomi. I had that issue myself.)

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I sent him a PM. If you wouldn't mind...can you try booting outrun 2sp with mitsus pic and see if it does the same thing?

Thanks

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I sent him a PM. If you wouldn't mind...can you try booting outrun 2sp with mitsus pic and see if it does the same thing?

Thanks

Yep, just tested it and it's fine.
Installed mitsu's PIC, 1GB of ram, and used the Piforce to netboot the 1GB version of Outrun2 SP. No issues.