Playstation Jewel Case Inserts

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Wanted to do this for a little while.
Took getting my hands on some spare CD Jewel cases for me to sit down and finish this project.

I've had games that have never had inserts.
Couldn't find decent quality scans to just print, so, I've spent time putting stuff together for me to use.

Could take several posts. Not sure what the image limit is anymore.

Battle Arena Toshinden:
BAT%20-%20Front%20-%20Kagerou_zpskrbttjle.png

BAT%20-%20Inlay%20-%20Kagerou_zpsohv8dh5g.png

Darkstalkers:
Darkstalkers%20-%20Front%20PS1%20-%20Kagerou_zpslqzsrd6v.png

Darkstalkers%20-%20Inlay%20-%20For%20Print%20-%20Kagerou_zpsgx0o2ork.png

Last edited:

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Darkstalkers 3:
Darkstalkers%203%20-%20Cover%20-%20Kagerou_zpshhgnym1x.png

Darkstalkers%203%20-%20Inlay%20-%20Kagerou%20_zpsjt7wihsi.png

The King Of Fighters '95
KOF95%20-%20Front%20-%20Kagerou_zpspcvw3h7v.png

KOF95%20-%20Inlay%20-%20Kagerou_zps8ztzudsp.png

Last edited:

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo:
SuperPuzzleFighterII%20-%20Front%20-%20kagerou_zpsgoqkbg8w.png

SuperPuzzleFighterII%20-%20Inlay%20-%20kagerou_zpsbxcbl03l.png

That's all I've had to make for PS1 stuff.
Maybe someone else'll want 'em, too.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Darkstalkers on the PSX is just as bad as X-Men on the PSX, both games came out early and were awful ports, lucky the US Saturn ports were much better. I mean I know Saturn didn't have the 1st Darkstakers but the sequel was an excellent port.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
PS2 case for Dead Or Alive 2 Hardcore.
Figured I may as well post this one, too.

DOA2hardCore_zpssnlbbhz6.png

There's only one more case I have that I want to work on.
I'm having a hard time finding art for Fractured. Outside of the Wikipedia article having the cover art for the PC version, there's nothing.
The company got absorbed into another company, leaving the Fractured Site and creator's site left with nothing but a farewell message. So, if there are any leads...

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Nice job on this set; I like the Toshinden and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo ones the best out of the lot.

I agree with Electric Grave that several of the earliest PSX 2D fighters were kind of rough--I think it took a while for developers to get a handle on working with the relatively limited amount of RAM, compared to the Sega Saturn.

I don't know what the maximum image limit is for a post (any of you mods know?), but it must be pretty high, as I often use a shitload of them for my artwork and I've never hit whatever the ceiling is. So, you could have safely put them all in your initial post.

Where'd you find that Toshinden cover art? I've never seen it before. Is it the art for the Japanese version or something? I recognize Gaia's armor/sword in the center, but I'm not sure who/what the scorpion and dragon are supposed to represent.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
M, the Toshinden cover art was found on the main page Battle Arena Toshinden Wiki.
Here.

I was surprised to even find that. Toshinden and Darkstalkers being long-box titles meant finding art appropriate & period that wouldn't stretch-and-squash for a standard 4:3 insert jewel case.

I'd mulled over trying to replicate the goofy screenshot used on the PSX, Saturn, or PC case before finding that emblem.
Seems to come from the European PAL PSX version.

A lot of art that used to be hosted is just gone. Since KOFOnline closed, kawaiidream.net has also restricted access to a lot of their art archives.
Fighter's Generation was also of some help.
SNKPlaymore still has their history of KOF site up. But, the art available for download isn't the same size as the promo material for when the stuff first came out.

I know full well that PSX Darkstalkers 1 isn't great fare. This was never about the quality of the games.

Had a Saturn some years ago and decided to get rid of stuff. When it came to culling out systems for space, the PlayStation stuff got kept while the Saturn got sold off.

I just wanted inserts I could put into jewel cases to look half-decent.

This was something I wanted to do then with Saturn titles to replace the fragile boxes with DVD cases.

That's Fighter's Edge logo was a pain to put together. I abandoned the idea and decided to model most of these after the more-visually-interesting Japanese cases than what we got in the US.

KOF 95 took some styling cues from scans of the European NGCD version, I think. It's been a while since I put it together. Though, the text is from the UK PlayStation release? The barcode should the the US SKU.

Darkstalkers 3 I thought looked better with the pure arcade poster - the PSX release makes the background of that image purple to hide B.B. Hood's shadow. Fun fact - the game has a folder full of BMP files in it for the characters and some extra arts. Characters also had white backgrounds. Meaning I couldn't use them to stack and recreate the US jewel back at the time. I probably could now that I've spent more time with the art program. But, I'm happy with what I've got.

Puzzle Fighter, I just couldn't find the Ryu art. I could find what I used and figured pink was a good enough color for the background. I took screenshots of the gems and just flipped them around in a pattern that couldn't create a supergem for the background. There's a layer of translucent yellow between them and the text to make the gems softer and the text readable.

DOA2 Hardcore's art is right of the DOA wiki.
Most of the art there is labeled as being from DOA2 somewhere on the image. So, serendipity and taste determined what got chosen there.

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
The BAT3 art looks better than the game.
Nice work on the other inserts as well.
I do like the 95, but I may be partial to
Shinkiro artwork.
Nice job.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Damn I remember playing the shit out of BAT... Good game