Retro Systems with High Def Outputs.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

I think the question is because Arcade Central is for discussing Arcade games, but your question seems to imply you are asking about home-console systems from Atari2600 to...I don't know, N64 i guess? Also, to kind of answer your question:

- Atari 2600 can be modded to have composite. Nothing better AFAIK.
- Famicom / NES can be modded for RGB (RGBNES) and even HDMI (kevtris project)
- Sega Genesis produces RGB by default
- SNES produces RGB (AFAIK) and some can be modded for component easily
- PS1 produces RGB from AV multiout

All these RGB can be converted (AFAIK, I've never tested this) to HDMI with varying degrees of success. XRGB does the trick I think.

Regards.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I'm going to have to look into that Genesis component mod.

It takes potentially 3 items.
1. Genesis SCART AV cable
2. SCART to component adapter (example)
(optional)3. SCART audio extractor (example)

The audio extractor is optional because if you are using a Model 1, you can output the audio from the headphone jack.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I think the question is because Arcade Central is for discussing Arcade games, but your question seems to imply you are asking about home-console systems from Atari2600 to...I don't know, N64 i guess? Also, to kind of answer your question:

- Atari 2600 can be modded to have composite. Nothing better AFAIK.
- Famicom / NES can be modded for RGB (RGBNES) and even HDMI (kevtris project)
- Sega Genesis produces RGB by default
- SNES produces RGB (AFAIK) and some can be modded for component easily
- PS1 produces RGB from AV multiout

All these RGB can be converted (AFAIK, I've never tested this) to HDMI with varying degrees of success. XRGB does the trick I think.

Regards.

Bingo. Also,
-the Atari 7800 can be modded for Svideo and is backward compatible with 2600 games.
-SNES mini needs an RGB mod, but OG ones do so by default.
-N64 can be modded for RGB so long as it is a specific earlier chipset.

I currently use a SCART to HDMI upscaler for the HDTV I got from Amazon for $50. It works fine, but it is my second one because the first did not work correctly and I had to exchange it. If you are going to go big, framemeister is the way to go as prices are starting to go down.

For clarity, the one I sold you is that option, and worked perfectly for what I needed it for.

Last edited:

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
speaking of HD consoles. this is going to be real nice !

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
The Snes does output a RGB signal without a mod but it's not pixel perfect. The genesis (Megadrive) has a better RGB signal.

Hitokiri

Crossed Swords Squire
I was having the same issue for a long time, but then I ran into a Sony Wega TV with great sound, component and Svideo inputs
IMG_20150328_215910051.jpg
I got an Svideo cable for the snes (works with the 64) and for the Sega saturn, and now I see no reason to get anything else.
Playing this games in a CRT TV is way better than playing in a LCD, IMO.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Atari 2600 can actually do S-Video, though I don't know that it's noticeably better than Composite.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Whenever I want to play oldschool (Way better than "retro") shit on a LCD/LED screen, I resort to emulation, if you know how to work the graphic options you're gonna do way better than any Retron or whatever RGB, mini whatyoumacallit box, or any other craptastic shenanigans. "OMG but I gotta pley it on the real hardware you know" Really?! Then play your real hardware on a real display that goes along with it. Wegas are a dime a dozen, RGB PVMs are a dime a dozen, there's just no excuse.

I make my own peripherals or mod existing ones, so playing with emulation is good for me, I'm not looking for that "Factory standard experience" retrodouchebags are so inclined to experience. I had plenty of experiences to remember for the rest of my life playing with the actual original hardware. I'm all about making it better now days.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Wegas are a dime a dozen, RGB PVMs are a dime a dozen, there's just no excuse.

I agree with you if you talk about the US, but I'm pretty sure you know South America (at least) is different. PVMs are almost non-existant, Wegas are still expensive and are almost never in good conditions (if you manage to find one) and even arcade machines are bad, not real SNK machines but home-made arcades with converted TVs that can barely display the RGB image instead of a real RGB display. Anyway, enough ranting from me now, please continue the thread guys :)

Regards.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree with you if you talk about the US, but I'm pretty sure you know South America (at least) is different. PVMs are almost non-existant, Wegas are still expensive and are almost never in good conditions (if you manage to find one) and even arcade machines are bad, not real SNK machines but home-made arcades with converted TVs that can barely display the RGB image instead of a real RGB display. Anyway, enough ranting from me now, please continue the thread guys :)

Regards.
No rant, a solid point well put. If I was living in the homeland I'd be doing emulation exclusively. Just like during the tape trading days, I wasn't buying CDs nor records, not even original tapes, I was basically having music recorded at "El Templo del Metal" Yes piracy but fuck that shit man, paying top dollar for me was out of the question, it was all about recording shit from CD and records with my pals at El Templo and then I would tape trade with friends and record more stuff that way. If I was down there during these times I'd be all about a Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, MAME, Console emulators, a custom built stick (I've been working wood since I was a little kid) old CRT VGA monitor and done deal, the games are there and the fun is there.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
No rant, a solid point well put. If I was living in the homeland I'd be doing emulation exclusively. Just like during the tape trading days, I wasn't buying CDs nor records, not even original tapes, I was basically having music recorded at "El Templo del Metal" Yes piracy but fuck that shit man, paying top dollar for me was out of the question, it was all about recording shit from CD and records with my pals at El Templo and then I would tape trade with friends and record more stuff that way. If I was down there during these times I'd be all about a Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, MAME, Console emulators, a custom built stick (I've been working wood since I was a little kid) old CRT VGA monitor and done deal, the games are there and the fun is there.

I agree with you man, do what you gotta do to play the games and enjoy them. I was able to acquire a Retron 5 off of craigslist today for dirt cheap and use it for the convenience of playing on my LCD, as I am computer retarded and cannot use an emulator to save my life (i've tried, it just doesnt click). If one wants to use Framemeister, HD upscaler, or whatnot, so be it as long as the end result is they play the games and they enjoy it.

When I was in Ecuador, I saw a kid playing one of those NOAC bootleg systems that had damn near every game on it. Sound was off, controls were stiff, but I played a round of Contra with the kid and he had a blast. It's what he had, and he loved every second of it.

I get the whole "if its not original it has no soul" argument, but I don't subscribe. I use everdrives, because fuck buying OG copies of Demon's crest, Little Samson, Earthbound, etc. Gone are the days where we can roll up into a garage sale and get those games from a mom emptying out her kid's games at a dime a dozen, so unless we're rolling in money or damn lucky its the most viable option. Whatever works for you, make it happen and enjoy it.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

LOL man, I lived the same. I traded tapes, and recorded from CDs all the time, because with my friends did not have money to buy the originals. We borrowed the discs, made copies on tape and enjoyed them. I still have many tapes around, and even have my working sony walkman, LOL. Those were the days man. Emulators have also been very important for me since I met them, around 1994 I guess. At the time I only have a couple of real systems, first thing I did when I learned about emulators was getting one and getting the romz for all 3 Streets of Rage. It was a blast. Then the snowball started rolling from there to right now, where I have basically every game and console I ever wanted.

Regards.

P.S: You visit around here some time, EG?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I haven't set foot in Colombia for 20 years. I will someday though. Where are you? I thought you said Barranquilla in the past, am I right?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I haven't set foot in Colombia for 20 years. I will someday though. Where are you? I thought you said Barranquilla in the past, am I right?

Cool, this has changed quite a bit since you're gone. Not that much, unfortunately :(.
I'm in Bogotá. I like cold cities better than warm ones :)

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
I've done an S-video and Psuedo-Stereo mod on a 2600 and it was a big difference.

Yeah... After I posted that I went back and compared mine with composite vs s video, and I was definitely mistaken, you sir are correct, the difference is noticeable

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Yeah... After I posted that I went back and compared mine with composite vs s video, and I was definitely mistaken, you sir are correct, the difference is noticeable
And on a 7800, s-video is absolutely night and day. The quality was so bad before that I couldn't really enjoy it, but after adding s-video output and recapping it, it's one of the best looking systems I own:

These were just pictures of it connected to my shitty plasma, but on a CRT it's downright stunning. I used longhornengineer's video board from eBay.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I've been thinking about getting an Atari. Good to see there's a way to get solid video output.
The only Atari system I own is a Lynx

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I've been looking on the Internet and have not come across any alternatives to buying component cables for the GameCube and I understand that the hardware for progressive output is in the component cables and not the actual console.

Am I just not searching right or is this still a problem?

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've been looking on the Internet and have not come across any alternatives to buying component cables for the GameCube and I understand that the hardware for progressive output is in the component cables and not the actual console.

Am I just not searching right or is this still a problem?

there is no user friendly option at the moment but there is one if you want to do some work:
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2500
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51450
possibly some threads on other forums also.

Megalomaniac from gc-forever is working on a design for an easier install but not sure when he is going to release it.
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2500&start=96#p28150

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Probably cheaper to get a PAL GC and PAL games and just run RGB.