Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retro Systems with High Def Outputs.

Hardened Shock Trooper

Retro Systems with High Def Outputs.

I was hoping people could educate me on which retro consoles have high def output options and about what those options usually run in $. I know there's usually multiple options per system so I wanted to put together a list and see what was more highly recommended by the community.

Amano's Drinking Buddy

Retron 5 is the easiest a d cheapest for HD tv's, and a variety of consoles have RGB native to them. Take a look at what is easiest for you and what your setup can do.
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."
    3DS Friend code: 4811-7358-8350

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyMyEgo View Post
    ggallegos1 Is a cock sucking faggot. That is all.

Art of Typing Wiz

yeah the retron5 is probably the easiest way. If you have time and money to spent, then RGB+scart+xrgb mini is the best way to go. some consoles like the snes and genesis are scart rgb ready. just needs an 8$ cable.

Hardened Shock Trooper

I heard that the Retron 5 caused cartrige save files to delete due to the rom emulation process it goes through when it pulls everything from the game PCB and dumps in into the OS. Not on all games but some.
    Seemed risky

schnuth is one
    DUMBASS username.

Quote Originally Posted by White Devil View Post
    I heard that the Retron 5 caused cartrige save files to delete due to the rom emulation process it goes through when it pulls everything from the game PCB and dumps in into the OS. Not on all games but some.
    Seemed risky
    I thought this was fixed with the newest firmware? So far I haven't had any problems. ::knocks on wood::

Hardened Shock Trooper

It probably was fixed.

There's also something about wanting to play only on the original hardware that strikes me. I really can't explain it. I don't know there was a SNES SCART cable. And it works with the N64 as well as the GameCube. I imagine using a SCART to component or HDMI could replace the need for component cables for the Gamexube.

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

Not on a US cube, no rgb there.

Amano's Drinking Buddy

It probably was fixed.

There's also something about wanting to play only on the original hardware that strikes me. I really can't explain it. I don't know there was a SNES SCART cable. And it works with the N64 as well as the GameCube. I imagine using a SCART to component or HDMI could replace the need for component cables for the Gamexube.
    the end adapter will fit the SNES, however the N64 will not output RGB unless modded. and the US Gamecubes will not output RGB as well. Euro ones are OK, but if you are going to use those systems unmodded then its Svideo for N64 and component for GC if you have the cash. if not, Svideo for that as well.

Neo*Geomancer

It probably was fixed.

joe9 lives!

Withered Penis!

FYI, Urban Outfitters is selling the Retron 5 (if you can find one) for $40. This thing is retailing everywhere else for $140+. I picked one up last night but it took some looking.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/...an-outfitters/

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin
    As for the collector, his collection is never complete; even if he is missing but a single object, all that he has collected nevertheless remains fragmentary...

Bashful Neophyte

The save function was fixed along with an IPS translation patch at least in the latest firmware I have. So now you can play some Japanese mega drive or super famicom games, add in the translation patch and be good to go. That's honestly what I have loved about it so far.

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

Quote Originally Posted by gusmoney View Post
    FYI, Urban Outfitters is selling the Retron 5 (if you can find one) for $40. This thing is retailing everywhere else for $140+. I picked one up last night but it took some looking.

Damn, I'd buy one for $40.

Hardened Shock Trooper

Me too... There's one 30 minutes from my house.

Amano's Drinking Buddy

I'd buy one for $40, but its in store only as the website doesnt even feature the product. I may have to stop by one of these days if they are still available, at least until they figure out they are missing one digit.

Withered Penis!

I did some calling around to find mine. Some stores will say they have them but they are $180. Once they scan the sku it will register as $40. Not sure how long the sale lasts though.
    Last edited by gusmoney; 04-16-2015 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling

As for the collector, his collection is never complete; even if he is missing but a single object, all that he has collected nevertheless remains fragmentary...

Amano's Drinking Buddy

If one of you finds an extra one at that price, I'd love to buy it off of you plus shipping. I had to sell mine for grad school and regret it.

赤裸裸的汽車人

I find it strange that they even have these... I wonder if it is some marketing ploy. Maybe they are changing formats? I couldn't say because I have never gone to one. It is a store listed in the "women's fashion" category and there is only one around here. Why would they even have these in stock, but not be online or out on display at a store?

Back on topic, I wouldn't really consider the Retron5 to be a "retro" console (in fact I'm starting to hate that word) because it is just an emulator. It isn't even a clone... Part of me wants to say it is silly to want to play an older console on an HD monitor, but part also can understand. I'm perfectly fine willing to joe8 it on a CRT TV mostly because I'm too cheap to spend the money to go to RGB. The easiest that I know of is for the Genesis where you can spend about $70 (depending on how picky you are about audio) and get it to component without any modding. Finding appropriate CRTs are still fairly easy at thrift stores and you don't have to go crazy to find a pro monitor if you don't want. There's no reason to get wrapped up in some dick measuring contest over how good your graphics look because no one really actually cares.

Another part is that if you really want to play an old console on an HDTV, then bite the bullet and get a Framemeister. You probably paid more than one of those for that fancy TV anyways and the price has been coming down over the years.
    Official Chat: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/misc.php?do=flashchat

dude, you're awful at this, you didn't even tried.

Withered Penis!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    I find it strange that they even have these... I wonder if it is some marketing ploy. Maybe they are changing formats? I couldn't say because I have never gone to one. It is a store listed in the "women's fashion" category and there is only one around here. Why would they even have these in stock, but not be online or out on display at a store?

Back on topic, I wouldn't really consider the Retron5 to be a "retro" console (in fact I'm starting to hate that word) because it is just an emulator. It isn't even a clone... Part of me wants to say it is silly to want to play an older console on an HD monitor, but part also can understand. I'm perfectly fine willing to joe8 it on a CRT TV mostly because I'm too cheap to spend the money to go to RGB. The easiest that I know of is for the Genesis where you can spend about $70 (depending on how picky you are about audio) and get it to component without any modding. Finding appropriate CRTs are still fairly easy at thrift stores and you don't have to go crazy to find a pro monitor if you don't want. There's no reason to get wrapped up in some dick measuring contest over how good your graphics look because no one really actually cares.

Another part is that if you really want to play an old console on an HDTV, then bite the bullet and get a Framemeister. You probably paid more than one of those for that fancy TV anyways and the price has been coming down over the years.
    I guess all that meant you wanted one...seeing as you bought it.

赤裸裸的汽車人

I guess all that meant you wanted one...seeing as you bought it.
    $20 is $20

EDIT: anyways I wasn't hating on the Retron, I was pointing out that I don't feel it is a legitimate console. The OP seemed to have been referring to original consoles, which is what I focused my reply on.
    Last edited by Tripredacus; 04-17-2015 at 04:55 PM.
    Official Chat: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/misc.php?do=flashchat

dude, you're awful at this, you didn't even tried.

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Those controllers are the worst quality pads you will ever use.

Withered Penis!

Quote Originally Posted by daithidownunder View Post
    Those controllers are the worst quality pads you will ever use.
    Worse than these?

Hardened Shock Trooper

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    $20 is $20

EDIT: anyways I wasn't hating on the Retron, I was pointing out that I don't feel it is a legitimate console. The OP seemed to have been referring to original consoles, which is what I focused my reply on.
    I full heartedly agree with your opinion of the Retron 5.
    I'd own one for free or cheap as fuck but I don't get excited playing classics on anything other than the original hardware. I can't even articulate why. It's just a feeling. I'm not against the Retron 5, just don't think its for me.
    I'm going to have to look into that Genesis component mod.
    I recently looked up a cool HDMI mod for SNES.
    I personally love seeing the crisp pic of those old games on my TV. Making a pixel perfect dodge or jump. It's just what I'm into. I'd spend the time and money modding all my old systems. Just cuz I think it's cool.

Frenzy Football Player

Why is this in Arcade Central?

Hardened Shock Trooper

Quote Originally Posted by K-2 View Post
    Why is this in Arcade Central?
    Cuz?

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Ha ha @ gusmoney

Thread Information