Should I get a cabinet for my MVS carts?

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
I only have the Neo Geo AES right now, and got myself a converter so I can buy MVS carts. I've acquired a few so far and I'm planning to get more in time :)

I got offered to buy an arcade cabinet to play my MVS games on, but the thing is that I know NOTHING about arcade cabinets and am a bit afraid of getting one (you never know they might bite!) no but seriously, I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to change boards or PCB or get converters, fix broken shit like screens or buttons and what not... I've always just been a console person, plug and play ^_^ but arcades are intriguing :D

I thought I would share the pictures of the various cabinets the guy has for sale and ask for your expertise on here! I have no clue what they're worth or which are "originals" or if they're any good.. and so on..

I've always had my eyes on that big red Neo Geo cabinet, since it's so beautiful! :drool: But I don't think I will ever bump into one of those over here in Sweden... so I could settle for less..

Only one of the cabinets apparently is set for MVS only, it has a 4 slot motherboard (is that what they call PCB?), and it looks like this:
mvs-arcade.jpg
I've never seen a cabinet looking like this before.. is it a standard model in any way? It looks very "metal-ish"... I'm not too fond of the look and the guy wants $700 USD for it.. is that reasonable?

The others need a change of PCB to take MVS.. they look like this:
snk-cabinet.jpgsnk-yellow-cabinet.jpg
and I've never seen these models before either.. any intel on these? :)

Last but not least he also has the cute little Atomiswave and Egret2 cabinets for sale at $930 USD.. I've seen this type before, but I think Blast City looks a liiiittle bit better.. I don't know if there's any differences in performance between these models, if any is superior to the other? And what they're actually worth...
Atomiswave.jpgEgret2.jpg
These ones would of course also need a change in PCB to take my MVS carts.. and that's basically all I would want to have an arcade cabinet for; to play my Neo Geo MVS games ^__^

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :help:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
If this dude is offering up an Egret 2 in Europe for less than a grand he must be sweet on you.

My advice, would be to purchase said E2 and run away laughing. It would be very simple to Play MVS carts with a single slot MVS mobo which are easy to find and less than a 100 bucks.

The E2 is the most sought after arcade machine because it has a mechanism that allow you to rotate the monitor very easily so can play vertically oriented arcade games. If you do buy it just promise to take good care of it and never do anything like swap out the monitor for an lcd....

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
I would never replace anything that's original.. I like to keep things the way they were supposed to be ^_^ And I take very good care of all my games ;D

Though, I heard that the Blast City was the one that was easy to rotate the monitor on? Maybe it's like that on both?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Keyword is "mechanism" you can rotate a blast, but the E2 you can do with one hand supposedly, other machines you may slip a disc in your back. Note the MVS cab with the 4 marquees above will not rotate.

It only really matters if you are going to start playing shmups in the future

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
cabs take up a LOT of space and are a PITA to move around

that being said, SNK candies are the cadillac of cabs [ www.hardmvs.com ]

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
Thanks everyone for the advice ^_^ It looks like I might be getting an E2 then ;D I just asked the guy if he could hold it for me!
My game room is already quite full.. but I will have to make space for it!
I will also need help to buy and install the correct PCB (single slot MVS mobo that was suggested or something).. but I'll tackle that problem once I have the cabinet ;D

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
SNK candies are the cadillac of cabs

Yes, yes they are aren't they?

16996041212_c79f54b674.jpg

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Go read some stuff on the Arcade Otaku wiki, specifically Beginners_Guide_To_Candy_Cabs

Egret II is a great option for MVS, but parts are fairly hard to come by. If it were me, I'd just go with the E2 anyway, and then prepare yourself to start wanting more cabs to add to the game room. :)

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I love my MVS-U4, and, in my opinion, if all you want to play is MVS, that's the way to go. But I do prefer the white metal control panel (that mine has) to the shiny, silver ones I see online all the time.

An Egret II is definitely more versatile, though, and $930 is a hell of a deal. Is getting both an option?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
If you have the space and can get one at a decent price:
HOLY CRAP YES!

There's nothing quite like gaming on a cab imo. Fighters and Shmups are the shit.
A lot of documentation can be found online if you run into problems also.
Damn, I wish I could have one... I need to get involved in a German community/forums, there just don't seem to be any cool ones.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I would definitely pick up one or two of those babies. the second i got my big red ive been in love with cabs. Im jelious of the candy cabs as they are near impossible to find in canada. If you buy one you wont regret it. Its a better experience than you will expect. Just make sure there is no burn in on the monitors and such, joysticks and buttons are easy fixes even for beginners but monitor repair is a scary world For me still. You're in the right place though as there are alot of great tech support guys on this site. Good luck with your decision

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
stopXwhispering, I'll do a deal with you........ I'll swap my electrocoin 4 slot for an Egret 2 and we're both happy.

I don't even mind paying shipping!!!!!!

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
hahaha, will you pay my shipping too? ;D
I don't even know what an electrocoin is >_<
*googlesearchi*
waaiiiit, is that the big red???? o_O

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
You should get one if you have space, they all seem to be in good shape. Where in Sweden is this guy?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that gaming on a cab isn't as rosy as it seems. There's a fair amount of maintenance and some times even significant repairs depending on the condition of your chosen cabinet. You have to be prepared for the work that goes along with it. That said I reckon anyone even mildly interested in getting a cabinet should go for it at least once.

The blast city is not an easy cab to rotate a monitor in. I can do it but it's a hell of an awkward weight and considering the value of these monitors... one bad move could be the end of it all.

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
You should get one if you have space, they all seem to be in good shape. Where in Sweden is this guy?

It's kind of close to Linköping :)

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that gaming on a cab isn't as rosy as it seems. There's a fair amount of maintenance and some times even significant repairs depending on the condition of your chosen cabinet. You have to be prepared for the work that goes along with it. That said I reckon anyone even mildly interested in getting a cabinet should go for it at least once.

The blast city is not an easy cab to rotate a monitor in. I can do it but it's a hell of an awkward weight and considering the value of these monitors... one bad move could be the end of it all.
Thanks for the honesty! That's exactly what I've suspected.. I'm scared to get one because of the possible maintenance, which I wouldn't have a clue of how to handle o_O But then again, my game room doesn't feel "complete" without one.. All my friends have been nagging on me to get one, and now since I'm collecting MVS carts I feel I might as well :)
The Egret II I've been looking at seems to be in really good condition (according to the seller), I'm going there in a month hopefully to see it for myself. I'm hoping to also get a basic tour of how the hell it works ;D The worst part is that it's not set for MVS carts and I would have to get and install a board to make it possible.. and that's a complete jungle for a beginner! haha ^^ I spent 3 hours yesterday just reading about all the various boards available.. it's overwhelming! I think I will need an MV1 or MV1F since they have stereo outputs so I at least don't have to mess with soldering o_O

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
If you're really only concerned with MVS, then grab that dedicated Neo Geo MVU4. I have one and I absolutely love it. $700 is a fantastic deal even considering it's missing the artwork. If you want to restore it to its former glory all the files for the art can be found: HERE With all the decals you may find you like the look of it more? It is wired MVS so it'll be plug and play for your situation, you can run 4 carts at once and won't be constantly changing them out, and those cabs have the most beautiful monitors

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
wow thanks! It looks way better with the white control panel though, but with some stickers it might just get prettier ^^
Now I'm not sure what to get!!! I guess I will have to decide when visiting the seller, when I get to see them IRL...
Is the monitors on the MVU4 superior to the Egret II? (image quality wise)

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
wow thanks! It looks way better with the white control panel though, but with some stickers it might just get prettier ^^
Now I'm not sure what to get!!! I guess I will have to decide when visiting the seller, when I get to see them IRL...
Is the monitors on the MVU4 superior to the Egret II? (image quality wise)

Just get both...

You'll honestly kick yourself later.