Axiom Verge

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Anyone playing Axiom verge on PS4? I've been waiting about 6 months for it and it has not disappointed so far. It's a great homage to Metroid and 8 bit era games in general.

http://www.axiomverge.com/

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
Your link there is a box of tampons.

Not sure if trolling or...

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I stumbled upon this earlier this afternoon...dat ost! Gonna pick it up tomorrow afternoon; the game looks awesome :D

jt4mtb

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I just spend the last 6 hours playing it. I'm f'n hooked. The ambiance and the music is so good. It really reminds me of playing Metroid for the first time.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Just added this to my cart. Gonna put in my 1TB SSHD then download it after all of the back-up/transfer shit. BTW... I hear there are some issues with the new 2.50 PS4 firmware update in general. Anyone having problems with it?

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Made by one person over the span of five years. An homage to Metroid. Game looks and sounds great. My problem is that I still have FF Type-O and Bloodborne on my plate. I also want to give Jamestown+ a go before Axiom Verge.

Lots of good indie/download-only games so far this year.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
This is the first I have heard of this game. It looks really good, I am going to grab this when I get home this evening.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I picked it up yesterday, game is incredible! If you are a metroid fan it is a must buy, it feels like metroid but it still feels fresh and new. The graphics are a pretty cool mix of 8 bit and like 32 bit sprites. Lots of parallax scrolling in the backgrounds.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I want to get this for Vita but as far as I can tell that version doesn't have a release date yet.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Wish this was on PS3 as well.
It's a one man team so I don't think it will happen. He said he was doing steam at a later date though, shouldn't take much to run.
I want to get this for Vita but as far as I can tell that version doesn't have a release date yet.

Coming later this year, the game is cross buy if you have a ps4 you could play now and get vita version free later.

jt4mtb

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
So I just finished my first playthrough of the game. Final stats: 10.5 hrs, 78% items, 97% map, and 17 deaths on normal. God damn the items are well hidden looking at that ratio of map to items found.

I'm still soaking in the experience, but damn was that fun to play. Music and atmosphere are outstanding. Level design flows pretty well too. My only gripe at the moment is that it went overboard w/ the number of weapons. I found myself only using maybe 2-3 of the dozen I found so far; all the rest I'd try once and put away. Regardless, Axiom Verge is totally worth playing, especially if you're a Metroid fan. I only first heard about the game a month ago, but I'm certainly glad I did. Time to scavenge for the rest of the items!

qurao

n00b
I've only heard good things about this game, so I can't wait for it to show up on PC. I got rid of my PS4 a while ago so waiting is the price I'll have to pay.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The game is really good. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The sound track is amazing.

jt4mtb

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Another night of scavenging. I've got 100% map now, but stuck on 99% items. Some of these items are really deviously hidden. I might go nuts trying to find the last ones.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I'm playing on hard mode. Not sure if that was a good idea or not since it's my first play through. I'm 7 hours, 52 mins into it. 43% of items and 56% of the map. Could probably take about an hour off the time from me just standing around without pausing the game. Really enjoying it right now, but am stuck trying to figure out how to get the turbine pulse.

jt4mtb

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Luck was on my side tonight. I boot up my game anticipating a lengthy search for the last item I needed for 100%, and end up finding it just 2 rooms away from where I saved. :buttrock: Was treated w/ an extra cutscene after the credits which was... interesting to say the least. Now for a speed run and hard mode...

Really enjoying it right now, but am stuck trying to figure out how to get the turbine pulse.

Getting to the room that the turbine pulse is in was a bit tricky. Here's how I did it:
Spoiler:

stand toward the right side of the hallucination boss room on the higher part of the floor.
Jump straight up,
dash vertically at the peak of your jump
Immediately toss the drone up after dash
At the peak, hit triangle twice (once to hatch the egg, once to teleport to the drone) and immediately shoot the grappling hook vertically. If done right, it should grab the ceiling and you can carefully swing into the gap, deploy the drone, and head for the door

Last edited:

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
So just finished the game on hard mode. The last boss was pretty unfair, but I managed to kill it on the first attempt.

Total Time: 14 hours, 3 minutes
Items: 81%
Map: 97%
Death Count: 46

I would guess actual play time is more like 12-13 hours. Was well worth the $18 or whatever it cost.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I've only gotten to the 3rd zone so far, but I'm loving the atmosphere, and the controls are spot on. The 2 bosses I've faced so far have been way too easy, so I'm hoping things get more challenging going forward. I did stumble upon a corrupted area while I was poking around with the glitch gun which had a stat boost in one of the rooms. Any one else find any of these corrupted areas?

jt4mtb

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I've only gotten to the 3rd zone so far, but I'm loving the atmosphere, and the controls are spot on. The 2 bosses I've faced so far have been way too easy, so I'm hoping things get more challenging going forward. I did stumble upon a corrupted area while I was poking around with the glitch gun which had a stat boost in one of the rooms. Any one else find any of these corrupted areas?

Yea, I came across 3 secret areas on my playthrough. Each one had 2 items in them. They were kind of trippy to look at. From what I've read, both the locations and the layout of secret areas are randomized every playthrough outside of speedrun mode.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member

I came across two of the glitch areas. They definitely get easier with more gear. I don't know if you noticed, but when you get near the entrance to one of those places, your screen starts to mess up as an indicator. As far as the bosses go, they're all pretty easy except for maybe three of them. Was disappointed because there was one boss where I literally did not move and was able to kill it without getting hit. I guess that's ok since it's the first game this guy has made and did it all by himself, but you'd think there would have been feedback from beta testers mentioning that.

RvZ8gaY.jpg