Metal Slug 2 slowdown reduction patch

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Been playing my patched cart in the cab for a while now and I like the new difficulty from the timing being just ever so different that it isn't as easy as the last 20 years, but has anyone notice any issues like on mine it has strange default settings (coin, level,etc) and the Highscore being incredibly high and lastly that will on occasion cause my cab to glitch on the attract screens and show white horizontal bars That last issue I'm assuming is what i call "6slot syndrome " and iscaused by certain title being in the cab at same time.

Otherwise love the new challenge. Thanks for the patch

zouzzz

Geese's Thug
Today I decided to patch my Metal Slug 2 mvs cart with the "turbo" fix. Since my cart shell is translucent I figured it would be helpful to have a nice label on the P1 rom so that it's obvious the cart has been patched. :)

metalslug2turbo.jpg
Beautiful !

ChrisB

Another Striker
Plz PM me if you find someone to do a patched P1 chip. I too would love a faster MS2 but cannot justify buying a Eprom programmer just for 1 chip.

hello mate, im in the uk, I have a eeprom burner to do this and would be happy to help.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Has anyone tried to run MS2 Turbo on an overclocked system?

I tried it and it keeps randomly restarting, my system has a 16 MHz crystal

darknezz19

n00b
Was thinking, 'man wish there was a patch that fixed mslug2's slowdown' and wondered back here.

BAM!

This feels like being in the Opera Show audience or something.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
My main problem lies on the game not getting along with memory cards, once the countdown starts and you let it go it doesn't follow to the gameover screen, it just stays there at the end of the countdown...take the MC out and you're all set, kinda of a bummer...

Other problems like glitching and whatever hasn't happened to me, beat it with BustedStr8 credit feeding co-op just to see it in action, no issues, everyone else having issues should check their PSUs, any voltage problems on multislots is always going to get you no matter the game specially on boots or homebrew stuff...

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Patching from the cd

I just got the chips today thanks to Xian Xi!it feels great like a different game, it Feels better, the most noticeable level for me was the train section.
Fluid and responsive.

I wonder if the cd features can be somehow ported from the roms on the cd to cartridge and get combat school on the cartridge?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I'd really like to see other slowdown sources fixed as well. It seems like a lot of the slowdown comes from the game's routines responsible for plotting objects on screen for drawing. Maybe there is some display list inefficiency that can be identified?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I'd really like to see other slowdown sources fixed as well. It seems like a lot of the slowdown comes from the game's routines responsible for plotting objects on screen for drawing. Maybe there is some display list inefficiency that can be identified?

If you want to improve it further, you'd basically need to port Slug 2 over to the Slug X engine.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes, there is defo an area where the engine can be sped up. If fact I would say if one patched the engine correctly then the way this turbo version gains speed can be removed. It causes unwanted glitches because its not actually doing what the guy who did the fix says its doing (not system11). Not to take away from it though because those glitches are quite minor compared to the playability added.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Hey Razoola, would a unibios crash report be of any help in determining why MS2 Turbo crashes on an overclocked system?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Sure, it would report why the system is crashing. The turbo speedup does not work like the creator stated although I can see why they assumed it does. It does not surprise me at all that it would cause instability due to that's its actually doing (breaking required sync between the game play routines and the graphic drawing routines).

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
After playing MS2 with turbo mod, I kinda miss those slowdowns................love a lot of stuff on the screen in a slow-mo, like hollywood special effect :)

erock

n00b
After playing MS2 with turbo mod, I kinda miss those slowdowns................love a lot of stuff on the screen in a slow-mo, like hollywood special effect :)

I was actually thinking that as well... It creates some drama & adds to the tension IMO.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I think a more extensive but productive mod would be to restore Metal Slug 2's palettes in Metal Slug X, and remove some of the pointless extra mummies added to make Mission 2 tedious.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I think a more extensive but productive mod would be to restore Metal Slug 2's palettes in Metal Slug X, and remove some of the pointless extra mummies added to make Mission 2 tedious.

The theme of people who prefer 2 over X seems to be "X is too hard for me."

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
The theme of people who prefer 2 over X seems to be "X is too hard for me."

I don't know if I think X is harder, just more tedious in some spots through pointless extensions. "Why have four grunts when we can place nine? Why have two gunboats when we can do three waves of them? What if we had mummy dogs too, and scroll-locked the screen?"

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I don't know if I think X is harder, just more tedious in some spots through pointless extensions. "Why have four grunts when we can place nine? Why have two gunboats when we can do three waves of them? What if we had mummy dogs too, and scroll-locked the screen?"

I think Mission 2 is one of the stages where X really stands out above 2. Mummy dogs are great and the descending mummies. Not to mention the slowdown on the boss really kills it, it got really frustrating. I played 2 this weekend just because I happened to grab it to test my new Unibios install and just felt like Mission 2 was missing a lot, including some hidden items. I know this is an endless debate around here, and I know you didn't do this, but I really don't get how people can defend the slowdown as a positive thing.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
How does an overclock compare to this patch? I know OC'ing an MVS cause glitches in some games, but iirc not Metal Slug 2, which is really the only game where it's really worthwhile.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Exactly this. If you could swap the color pallete then I'd give more gameplay to X. But yes, the pacing in spots is horrid.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I was actually thinking that as well... It creates some drama & adds to the tension IMO.

That's how i feel. I know people hates slowdown in MS2 but i feel it's quite fun: watching character moving slowly & jumping between stairs and boss machine in a slow-mo :)

I like MSX but for odd reason MS2 & MS4 are the two i play the most..........

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Removing mummies from MSX?! Really?! Pallete? OK fine swap your pallete but gee mission 2 in MSX is pretty easy as it is, WTF is the problem there, you people are weird. Keep your slo-mo...