Metal Slug 2 slowdown reduction patch

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Can you guys move this convo into the Unibios thread? This has nothing to do with this topic.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I completely missed the updates in this thread. This is fantastic. I just downloaded the patch and I need, need, to do this. Fantastic work. Just watched the side by side comparison video, and it looks so much better. Still slows down, but probably about as much as X now. This makes 2 a completely different game. I'm excited to try this on the cab.

Phexe

Quiz Detective
Awesome work!

As a CD Owner, could you look at the Metal Slug 2 CD version and make a Metal Slug 2 CD Turbo version? Please? :D

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
awesome work and awesome video. I just recently got MS2 mvs and might have to ask someone to patch it for me.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Awesome work!

As a CD Owner, could you look at the Metal Slug 2 CD version and make a Metal Slug 2 CD Turbo version? Please? :D

I have adjusted this patch for the CD version of the game to do just that. Full credit still belongs to system11 & Co. I have passed it onto kuk so I guess if you keep an eye on his site a URL might appear soon. Or you can drop me a PM with your email address.

Raz

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I have adjusted this patch for the CD version of the game to do just that. Full credit still belongs to system11 & Co. I have passed it onto kuk so I guess if you keep an eye on his site a URL might appear soon. Or you can drop me a PM with your email address.

Raz

Very nice! I admit, I am very impressed with this patch for the game. It's a shame that SNK themselves did not notice this slowdown and fix this before release. Good job guys!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Can you guys move this convo into the Unibios thread? This has nothing to do with this topic.

this whole topic could have been avoided if everyone would just get ms x.

msx > 2.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey

Raz
Wow, incredible work Raz! Thanks for releasing it to the world too :D

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
this whole topic could have been avoided if everyone would just get ms x.

msx > 2.

Well, to be honest, most people prefer MS2 over MSX for many reasons. The Background colors in MSX were horrible compared to MS2. Little things were taken out of MS2 to make X run a bit faster, like the little dust that your feet make in the first stage when running across the sand, (or were just overlooked). Also, many people don't like the reorganization of the bosses, things like that. I personally thought MSX was nice just for the speed up difference, but, other than the game running faster it was not as beautiful as MS2 was. It certainly was not worth them making it an all new game to buy for $299.99 only one year later, and it basically being nearly the same exact game. It was almost as blatant a rip off as Neo-Geo Cup 98.

I do believe that the general consensus is MS2>MSX. That, and MSX is not on the Neo CD either. :P

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
One just has to remember this patch is not without some slight side effects which I mentioned in a previous post somewhere a few months back. The benefits are greater though.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I applied Raz's patch to MS2 CD and it runs perfectly in emulation, but on both of my CD-Zs it crashes after selecting a character with the error:
"Device I/O Error
Code 000
Please power off"

I applied the patch using two different programs and burned two CD-Rs at 2x on Taiyo Yudens like I always do, so I wonder if the patch needs a tweak for CDZs? I did apply the copy protection patch, so that's not the issue. Could someone burn the ISO that I made and test it on a regular NG CD? I can share a mega link to it as long as you own the original game (PM me).

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I'm not sure what's going wrong there, I'll send you an email shortly.

Today I decided to patch my Metal Slug 2 mvs cart with the "turbo" fix. Since my cart shell is translucent I figured it would be helpful to have a nice label on the P1 rom so that it's obvious the cart has been patched. :)

metalslug2turbo.jpg

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Today I decided to patch my Metal Slug 2 mvs cart with the "turbo" fix. Since my cart shell is translucent I figured it would be helpful to have a nice label on the P1 rom so that it's obvious the cart has been patched. :)

metalslug2turbo.jpg
Nice job there - that EPROM label is a nice touch =D

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Nice job there - that EPROM label is a nice touch =D

Yep. Very cool. My copy hasn't left my cab since I got it. It's not perfect. There are a few areas where things glitch visually or audibly, but it's so much better than the original 2. It's somewhere in between 2 and X's speed, and in some section I actually think it's faster than the equivalent area in X.

Just an essential fix. So happy it finally saw the light of day, and every little hiccup it makes, and they are minor, is nothing compared to how awesome it is to play. Can't believe it took the community to fix this, but, how awesome is our community? Pretty freaking awesome.