Metal Slug 2 slowdown reduction patch

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Replaced a P1 this weekend. The patch is awesome! Some slowdown in certain hectic stages but a solid 80% improvement overall. It's like a new game. Works on both my CMVS and AES w/blue MVS converter.

2T > X

Not even then, not even close. X is the better game, people that prefer 2 over X simply prefer it 'cause it's more doable for them. Oh it's ok, I understand you're lured by the friendly slowdown, it's ok, one day you'll come to terms with being a slow poke.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
HeavyMachineGun hooked me up with a copy of the patched MS2 for an extremely generous $30. I played it all the way through in 2-player mode and actually enjoyed it for the first time. It was pretty much broken before and was embarrassing to the MVS as a system. With the slowdown reduction patch it feels like a real game now, and not like some kind of bad port from another system. The videos can't do justice to how big the improvement makes to the actual feel of the game.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Usually, it's the other way around.

Desoldering the Rom is more time consuming than soldering in the new one.

I was thinking exactly the same, desoldering the chip takes more time because it should be done very carefully to not damage the traces or vias, the soldering is way easier and is done way faster IMO. Also, if OP only needs the programming of the chip, Fox1 has the required service.

Regards.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Because of how the patch works that is not really possible. I have looked at it (with permission from system11) but the cause of the slowdown and the patch are not as explained in either of the write ups out there from my short time looking at it. This is why there are minor problems with it in some areas of the game, that said it still makes the game more playable than the original version.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Because of how the patch works that is not really possible. I have looked at it (with permission from system11) but the cause of the slowdown and the patch are not as explained in either of the write ups out there from my short time looking at it. This is why there are minor problems with it in some areas of the game, that said it still makes the game more playable than the original version.

Ah, that's a shame. Glad you at least looked into it.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
System11

Thanks for patch, your awesome.
I don't have the equipment to do it, but the community thanks you.

well done

cheers

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Anyone got the rom image that keeps the game number original?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I think you can just change some of the header information in the rom.

edit: try changing the value at address x109 from "09" to "02"

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
yes you can do that. The next unibios will support the 0x0941 header though.

Raz

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
yes you can do that. The next unibios will support the 0x0941 header though.

Raz

You mean there is going to be a new unibios soon? :D Looks like I might want to buy that one! Can you try to get some nice codes for the NGDevTeam games, like perhaps speedups, power ups, extra lives, extra continues for the Last Hope and Fast Striker carts that do not have credit feed options, (the 1.0 big boards)? stuff like that?

I am also hoping that one day you can find a way that will make the Jukebox work with the NGDevTeam games so I can just sit back and listen to the music in those games, since they are by far some of the best sounding game music on the Neo-Geo, and since NGDevTeam refuses to add option menus to their games, and refuse to add in sound test menus, and general stuff that made the AES games AES games, perhaps you can find a way to add these features using the unibios on them? :) I mean, if we can just start to get some support for the NGDevTeam games on the UniBios I would happily buy myself one, as I have been wanting to support the UniBios for a long time now. I really do!

BTW, what new stuff will be included in this new 3.3 UniBios? I am getting excited! :)

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I am also hoping that one day you can find a way that will make the Jukebox work with the NGDevTeam games so I can just sit back and listen to the music in those games, since they are by far some of the best sounding game music on the Neo-Geo, and since NGDevTeam refuses to add option menus to their games, and refuse to add in sound test menus, and general stuff that made the AES games AES games, perhaps you can find a way to add these features using the unibios on them? :) I mean, if we can just start to get some support for the NGDevTeam games on the UniBios I would happily buy myself one, as I have been wanting to support the UniBios for a long time now. I really do!

BTW, what new stuff will be included in this new 3.3 UniBios? I am getting excited! :)

You can always go to youtube and listen to those ost :D

Fakk2

You can always go to youtube and listen to those ost :D

I could just listen to the OST on CD since I own all the CD's of the games, but, that is not the point. I want to actually listen to the Cart music like I do with all my AES games. Somehow it is just more fun to do it that way, and listen to the tunes directly from the chips. I am old fashioned, and I love sound test menus on games, and music test menus.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The unibios cannot fully support the NGDEV games because they are written in a way that does not allow the ingame menu to be brought up. I think you can get access to the jukebox though on the MVS at least. Probably can on the AES also but your blind because there will be no font.

Fakk2

The unibios cannot fully support the NGDEV games because they are written in a way that does not allow the ingame menu to be brought up. I think you can get access to the jukebox though on the MVS at least. Probably can on the AES also but your blind because there will be no font.

Yes, the screen is garbled on the AES, but, the problem is not really that, the problem is that they stream the music in a way that the Jukebox only can see and play around 4 songs, and then after that, the unibios repeats those same 4 songs as you go up higher in numbers. The NGDevTeam told me that in order for the UniBios to play the music back properly, that you would need to write the code for that player to read "higher banks" that the other songs are located at. So, I figured if you knew this info, you could find a way to access the other songs as well. I mean if anyone can do it, it would be you since your the master of the Neo-Geo when it comes to coming the UniBios, and you made the NeoJukebox as well, so if the NeoJukebox can play some of the songs just fine on NGDevTeam game carts on the AES, then you should be able to find a way to access the higher banks that stream those songs. Perhaps create a special player that can access ALL the NeoGeo music from any game, no matter what it is. That would really be amazing!

Also, I would LOVE it if you could ever be able to write the NeoJukebox to do what the NeoGeoStation does for it's Jukebox player? I REALLY love using that on the PS3, because it is VERY much like the one on Ninja Spirit on the TurboGrafx 16, where you can literally see every single track that the console has to offer, and when the musical instruments are played on each of those tracks, you can see the little colored bars bouncing up and down, or back and forth, to indicate which channels are being used, and how high the sound is getting for each channel. This is something I have been dying to see on the Neo-Geo for ages, and I would be willing to pay some good money JUST to see that get added to the UniBios!

So, can you please look into these things on the UniBios and see if these can be added to future versions of the Uni? That would be SO COOL, Raz!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The unibios can already play banks... the 0x07 is the bank number. Just scroll through until its 0x08 for example and that would send the code for the next bank. The other suggestion is not possible on the NeoGeo. you know the sound is controlled by a totally separate cpu and there is no access to it directly to get that kind of information