Metal Slug 2 slowdown reduction patch

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I can also program P1 chips for folks for the price of the chip and shipping. PM me if interested.

Asure

Captain Dick,
I'm in Europe and have stock of 27C4096's and an Eprom burner. Can do for the cost of chips + shipping.
You will need to clear out the solder from the two EP locations and can leave the original P1 on the board. As posted before, you can switch back & forth between the original & turbo version.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
As awesome as I think this patch is, I just can't see modifying my cart for it. I'll have to wait for a Neo Geo multi cart some day before I try it out on hardware. It's crazy that such a benefit was done with such a trivial fix.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Everything's trivial once it's done, but I am sure the development of the fix was not trivial.

Right, I'm not trying to belittle the work. I'm a software developer myself and I know that sometimes even the simplest things can turn out to be the hardest to implement/fix. I read through the technical rundown trap15 posted (http://daifukkat.su/blog/archives/2015/03/30/its_turbo_time/) and it seems to be an update of only 2 functions. More than likely I suspect the time to diagnose and find the problem was far longer than actually fixing it and testing the code! Pretty crazy to think that this area would've been overlooked with a game that had this much slowdown. Certainly not where I would've looked first.

mjsaville

n00b
I'm in Europe and have stock of 27C4096's and an Eprom burner. Can do for the cost of chips + shipping.
You will need to clear out the solder from the two EP locations and can leave the original P1 on the board. As posted before, you can switch back & forth between the original & turbo version.

Asure - You have mail :)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
As awesome as I think this patch is, I just can't see modifying my cart for it. I'll have to wait for a Neo Geo multi cart some day before I try it out on hardware.

What's so wrong with replacing one ROM? It significantly improves the game, it's like that hitbox fix for SS3. Besides, properly done, no harm is inflicted to the original chip in the swap. Or you can do what bustedstr8 did and took advantage of the EP sockets.

mjsaville

n00b
Major shout out to Asure....

Chips arrived today mate, Brilliant service.

I'll let you know. :glee:

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
Yeah I just pulled the patch down because of that person. Please all congratulate him by submitting spurious reports against his item.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
why would you pull down the patch? you do know the nature of the internet right? once its been uploaded its somewheres.

illl be uploading it shortly

update wont be uploading just yet

Last edited:

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
why would you pull down the patch? you do know the nature of the internet right? once its been uploaded its somewheres.
#

To make a point. I think I found the source of this, and it wasn't neo-geo.com - no surprise really, people here seem a little more honest mostly.

I may put it back depending on the response I get from the relevant people.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
and im making a point and uploading it shortly after posting a modified website with the rom

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
#

To make a point. I think I found the source of this, and it wasn't neo-geo.com - no surprise really, people here seem a little more honest mostly.

I may put it back depending on the response I get from the relevant people.

Reported. Not sure what good it'll do, but maybe if all of us do it, eBay will take action.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
ill wait till you decide not to post it back up again. there was no point in taking it down. nor the bs restrictions which no one will follow. i wasn't planning on making any carts besides my own. i just find the arrogance of rom hackers appalling. its not your game. if you did not want it out in the wild don't release it. dont sell carts your self and dont whine when others pay little attention to some grand scheme or readme.txt

if you did it to share cool put it back up and let even those who dont have eprom flashers and means to also have.

i beleive patches even code should be shared i even helped many with the netboot code for naomi/triforce/chihiro its not mine to keep. i also spent much time fixing errors.

Last edited:

trap15

n00b
It's totally cool for people to take work they didn't do and make money off of it. That's totally legit and not unethical at all, isn't it?

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
the rom is now out there. now what recourse do you have? did you even have recourse? can you sue the guy????? not in any court system i know of

the game will be sold there is nothing that can be done. so all your hurting is others who wouldnt have sold the game anyways

what will you do for all the rest who would like this patch?

Last edited:

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
the rom is now out there. now what recourse do you have? did you even have recourse? can you sue the guy????? not in any court system i know of

the game will be sold there is nothing that can be done. so all your hurting is others who wouldnt have sold the game anyways

Right now, I'm just trying to get that person to apologise.

I fucking hate people who make money off freely donated fixed and code. Nothing makes me angrier in fact. I have no issue with the peeople who were making chips or fitting this at low cost, you're right not everyone has the equipment. There's a line of acceptability though, and aside from your statement above there was nothing bad going on here. I didn't even profit from it myself, I sold *one* cart, my tatty old one I'd used for testing, for the same price an unmodified cart would be, and including the original chip. That simply left me 'slightly less out of pocket'.

Can't stand the self entitled nature of some people. Selling this undermines the good faith in which it was released for free. I kind of expected to see them floating around eventually, if someone gets their cart altered and then decides to sell it later - yep, obviously going to happen. Eventually I imagine several will be changing hands floating around. 1 fucking month though? That ebay item was made to sell, it's already more expensive than a plain slug 2 and not even a Buy It Now.

Haven't been this angry for some time.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
nothing to apoligize for. you even sold a copy.

so those people who dont have the means to do it themselfs are fucking shit out of luck. you now have control of a game you didnt even create. either you did this to help the community or you did it for some other reason.

so many copies will be sold. no big deal. its out there. there willl be many because it was a issue that you help solve. now what will you do for those who cant do or didnt see the patch like i did and grabbed it because i knew you was going to go this route with that lame eula text file.

metal slug2 seems to be running about 75 bucks without shipping so 90 shipped.

so who are you hurting again with this move? the ones you claim to want this to be for that who.

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
nothing to apoligize for. you even sold a copy.

so those people who dont have the means to do it themselfs are fucking shit out of luck. you now have control of a game you didnt even create. either you did this to help the community or you did it for some other reason.

so many copies will be sold. no big deal. its out there. there willl be many because it was a issue that you help solve. now what will you do for those who cant do or didnt see the patch like i did and grabbed it because i knew you was going to go this route with that lame eula text file.

metal slug2 seems to be running about 75 bucks without shipping so 90 shipped.

so who are you hurting again with this move? the ones you claim to want this to be for that who.

I rarely respond like this.

Fuck you, you entitled piece of shit. In fact I mentioned your name in IRC and someone who wasn't even following the conversation came out with 'lol werejag, king of freeloading' so yeah, looks like you already have a poor reputation anyway.

Whole intent was to release this totally for free, EULA and switching to a patcher from the initial 'just release the image' method was to do with protecting me in case SNK ever took a look at it and decided I was trying to make money from their IP, and also to try to discourage people leeching off the community by selling modded carts while not causing trouble for people genuinely helping the community by making or fitting chips at cost. If you don't understand that you're more stupid than you sound.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
not uploading it will play into driving the price up for those who will make copies. i dont plan on making copies just the entitled attitude you show is a bit much. you will fuck everyone becuase you think you have control of something you dont as soon as you released the files you are not helping anyone you told the community they can only get it now at high prices.

snk was never going to care.

the eula was non binding as all eulas are. its really not up to you to decide what price something can be charged. again i also plan not to sell copies.

i dont know what your true intent was seem counter to what you claim.

Last edited: