Metal Slug 2 slowdown reduction patch

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
I had a bunch of 27C4096 so I went with those.

Remove J10 and move to J1 if needed. Seems like most boards will have J1 populated all ready.

Use a pull up resistor on the P1 /OE from the bottom of J8,J9 or J10 to the top of JB5 or JB6

Split 941-P1. First 512KB on EP1, Second 512KB on EP2. Burn onto two 27C4002/27C4096 eproms 120ns or faster.

16804063498_b5eeec2ab4_b.jpg

16369410074_dcc2a027ff_h.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Forgot I sold my MS MVS set last year, luckily I found an MS2 mask rom boot. Pulled the p1 and put in the new data and played a game. I would say that the fix made a huge improvement over the original speed. I'd say it's an increase of 60-75%, feels great.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Very nice. Would this be also applicable to fix other games with slowdown like Shock Troopers 2nd Squad?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Its sounds like this fix as well as an 16mhz overclock will allow the game to play very fast on a neogeo.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Me and EG put one together and put a couple hours of play on it. We first credit fed it 2player. It seemed to be doing well until level 3. Pretty much any time after that if we both used HMG and anything more than a couple sprites where on screen it ground to down to a crawl. Overall 2player is just as painful as it ever was.

Now one player is a different story. Almost all the places where the original slowed down the Turbo roms fixed it completely. A good example is the airboats, the turbo roms blast right through them.
It doesn't fix it all, like the final bridge, but the overall pacing an feel for the game is now no longer a grind and is a real joy to play.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm so grateful, you did it all man, I was just there barely holding a diode straight. I want DZ to play it and experience the changes, he swears by MS2, wait 'till he gets his hands on this version.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm so grateful, you did it all man, I was just there barely holding a diode straight. I want DZ to play it and experience the changes, he swears by MS2, wait 'till he gets his hands on this version.

Coming from an MS2 fan, he'll love it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love MS2 as well, I just haven't played it as much as X and thus I can't truly appreciate the differences in detail as much as someone who has played MS2 to no end.

hungar

n00b
Just wanna say thanks to system 11 this is mine and my boys favourite neo game. Gonna do this on the w/e, very excited :)

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
Had a long think about the NBH and so on, and I'm afraid I'm happy with the release as it is. It does what it set out to do in the way I wanted.

So, if anyone out there with an AES and a MVS cart wants to use it, you'll need to fix the number yourself before you burn the chip. Get a hex editor, change address 109h from 09 to 02. Job done.

Just converted a mint cart which is my permanent keeper now, having the chance to switch my socketed one back to the normal version showed me the difference is actually greater on MVS than it is in MAME, just wow.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
It is now time to crack open my Slug 2 carts and give them the engine facelift they so desperately need.

Thank you kind person for taking pity on the rest of us!

Word! I've been waiting for something like this forever. This is awesome!

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
I've had to update this so that it's a patcher instead of just distributing the ROM. Annoyed. Someone suggested it to be helpful elsewhere and it made the question of hosting SNKs code unavoidable. I suppose it takes away the possibility of a takedown notice.

Anyway, I've run through the steps myself on Linux and Windows, it seems to work, would appreciate feedback.

Last edited:

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I played MS2 for the first time tonight on my newly built CMVS. Tons of slowdown, but so much fun. You are a god amongst us to have sped it up.

If you ever reconsider letting Raz add a patch to the Unibios, a million of us would be eternally grateful :D

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I've had to update this so that it's a patcher instead of just distributing the ROM. Annoyed. Someone suggested it to be helpful elsewhere and it made the question of hosting SNKs code unavoidable. I suppose it takes away the possibility of a takedown notice.

Anyway, I've run through the steps myself on Linux and Windows, it seems to work, would appreciate feedback.

I could have tried to add it as a cheat into the unibios (if possible) I would have of course given a mention in the readme (link to your url etc) and could have added a custom cheat line message if it fits. That would have got around this situation.

That aside the IPS patcher is the way to go. Does it leave the NGH to the default?

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
That would have got around this situation.
and spared a couple carts from modding...

not to nitpick, I'm super stoked about this fix. Been playing it on an Emu, it's so nice.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
My cart is mint from a full kit wit matching serials, I consider this an improvement and well worth doing to the cart itself. Plus I don't have to worry about playing this on boards without the Unibios.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member

I used the patcher today, instead of the ROM you distributed before. Worked perfectly.

I did the socket method; since my Slug 2 had a non-original label, I went ahead and moved my boards into a Chinese shell which didn't require any dremel work for the boards to fit back in.

Just played it for about an hour and am loving it! Thanks for putting this out there for us.

yy4WEi5.jpg

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
does JPTCH.exe work with win 7 64 bit?

*edit- never mind figured it out

Last edited:

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
This is really neat, I guess I need to go buy another Metal Slug 2 and find someone to send the new P1 to me. ;) Thanks OP.

mjsaville

n00b
This is really neat, I guess I need to go buy another Metal Slug 2 and find someone to send the new P1 to me. ;) Thanks OP.

Plz PM me if you find someone to do a patched P1 chip. I too would love a faster MS2 but cannot justify buying a Eprom programmer just for 1 chip.

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Plz PM me if you find someone to do a patched P1 chip. I too would love a faster MS2 but cannot justify buying a Eprom programmer just for 1 chip.

I'm in on this bandwagon too...