Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Slug 2 slowdown reduction patch

JammaNationX

Forgot I sold my MS MVS set last year, luckily I found an MS2 mask rom boot. Pulled the p1 and put in the new data and played a game. I would say that the fix made a huge improvement over the original speed. I'd say it's an increase of 60-75%, feels great.

Very nice. Would this be also applicable to fix other games with slowdown like Shock Troopers 2nd Squad?

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS

Its sounds like this fix as well as an 16mhz overclock will allow the game to play very fast on a neogeo.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Trollbox Trade Federation

Me and EG put one together and put a couple hours of play on it. We first credit fed it 2player. It seemed to be doing well until level 3. Pretty much any time after that if we both used HMG and anything more than a couple sprites where on screen it ground to down to a crawl. Overall 2player is just as painful as it ever was.

Now one player is a different story. Almost all the places where the original slowed down the Turbo roms fixed it completely. A good example is the airboats, the turbo roms blast right through them.
    It doesn't fix it all, like the final bridge, but the overall pacing an feel for the game is now no longer a grind and is a real joy to play.
    Clowns Suck

So Many Posts
    No Time
    For Games.

I'm so grateful, you did it all man, I was just there barely holding a diode straight. I want DZ to play it and experience the changes, he swears by MS2, wait 'till he gets his hands on this version.

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    I'm so grateful, you did it all man, I was just there barely holding a diode straight. I want DZ to play it and experience the changes, he swears by MS2, wait 'till he gets his hands on this version.
    Coming from an MS2 fan, he'll love it.

So Many Posts
    No Time
    For Games.

I love MS2 as well, I just haven't played it as much as X and thus I can't truly appreciate the differences in detail as much as someone who has played MS2 to no end.

Bashful Neophyte

Just wanna say thanks to system 11 this is mine and my boys favourite neo game. Gonna do this on the w/e, very excited

Shmups Overlord

Had a long think about the NBH and so on, and I'm afraid I'm happy with the release as it is. It does what it set out to do in the way I wanted.

So, if anyone out there with an AES and a MVS cart wants to use it, you'll need to fix the number yourself before you burn the chip. Get a hex editor, change address 109h from 09 to 02. Job done.

Just converted a mint cart which is my permanent keeper now, having the chance to switch my socketed one back to the normal version showed me the difference is actually greater on MVS than it is in MAME, just wow.

Fio's Quartermaster

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMachineGun View Post
    It is now time to crack open my Slug 2 carts and give them the engine facelift they so desperately need.

Thank you kind person for taking pity on the rest of us!
    Word! I've been waiting for something like this forever. This is awesome!

Shmups Overlord

I've had to update this so that it's a patcher instead of just distributing the ROM. Annoyed. Someone suggested it to be helpful elsewhere and it made the question of hosting SNKs code unavoidable. I suppose it takes away the possibility of a takedown notice.

Anyway, I've run through the steps myself on Linux and Windows, it seems to work, would appreciate feedback.
    Last edited by system11; 04-10-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Morden's Lackey

I played MS2 for the first time tonight on my newly built CMVS. Tons of slowdown, but so much fun. You are a god amongst us to have sped it up.

If you ever reconsider letting Raz add a patch to the Unibios, a million of us would be eternally grateful

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS

Quote Originally Posted by system11 View Post
    I've had to update this so that it's a patcher instead of just distributing the ROM. Annoyed. Someone suggested it to be helpful elsewhere and it made the question of hosting SNKs code unavoidable. I suppose it takes away the possibility of a takedown notice.

Anyway, I've run through the steps myself on Linux and Windows, it seems to work, would appreciate feedback.
    I could have tried to add it as a cheat into the unibios (if possible) I would have of course given a mention in the readme (link to your url etc) and could have added a custom cheat line message if it fits. That would have got around this situation.

That aside the IPS patcher is the way to go. Does it leave the NGH to the default?
    Last edited by Razoola; 04-11-2015 at 03:03 AM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
    That would have got around this situation.
    and spared a couple carts from modding...

not to nitpick, I'm super stoked about this fix. Been playing it on an Emu, it's so nice.

So Many Posts
    No Time
    For Games.

My cart is mint from a full kit wit matching serials, I consider this an improvement and well worth doing to the cart itself. Plus I don't have to worry about playing this on boards without the Unibios.

Art of Typing Wiz

Quote Originally Posted by system11 View Post

I used the patcher today, instead of the ROM you distributed before. Worked perfectly.

I did the socket method; since my Slug 2 had a non-original label, I went ahead and moved my boards into a Chinese shell which didn't require any dremel work for the boards to fit back in.

Just played it for about an hour and am loving it! Thanks for putting this out there for us.

yy4WEi5.jpg

SouthTown StreetSweeper

does JPTCH.exe work with win 7 64 bit?

*edit- never mind figured it out
    Last edited by PunkicCyborg; 04-12-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Lazy SNK Employee

Thanks for this! so excited to try this out!

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.

This is really neat, I guess I need to go buy another Metal Slug 2 and find someone to send the new P1 to me. Thanks OP.

New Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by Fakk2 View Post
    This is really neat, I guess I need to go buy another Metal Slug 2 and find someone to send the new P1 to me. Thanks OP.
    Plz PM me if you find someone to do a patched P1 chip. I too would love a faster MS2 but cannot justify buying a Eprom programmer just for 1 chip.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by mjsaville View Post
    Plz PM me if you find someone to do a patched P1 chip. I too would love a faster MS2 but cannot justify buying a Eprom programmer just for 1 chip.
    I'm in on this bandwagon too...

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Quote Originally Posted by nam9 View Post
    I'm in on this bandwagon too...
    Send Fox1 a PM. I can help too, but since I'm located in South America, shipping costs may be too much.

RevQuixo. Who He?

Last Resort?

Fio's Quartermaster

Quote Originally Posted by mjsaville View Post
    Add me to that list too. Por favor...

Dodgeball Yakuza

I can also program P1 chips for folks for the price of the chip and shipping. PM me if interested.

Thread Information