Metal Slug 2 slowdown reduction patch

mjsaville

n00b
@System11, some people just don't get it but at the same time I can't say its not unexpected to see it happening, not unexpected at all. You are going to have to accept that its going to show up in a new multicart if more types are make in the future.

Its a reason I asked you if I could try and add the patch to the unibios (I would have given you full credit, link to webpage etc, could mention something on the cheat line if it fits). I then accepted your decision when the answer was no.

The offer still stands if you change your mind and it could be done. This would also be a rare occasion where I could add the patch into the released and free version at the same time so there could be no claim I was trying to make money from it. It would also save the modding of good MS2 or the conversion of other games and people trying to make money from it. If this could be done it would simply mean people buying these carts are wasting money if they can use a free unibios to do the same thing. Your credit for it would also not be lost.

Raz

Well said.........

MarcoZ

n00b
@System11, some people just don't get it but at the same time I can't say its not unexpected to see it happening, not unexpected at all. You are going to have to accept that its going to show up in a new multicart if more types are make in the future.

Its a reason I asked you if I could try and add the patch to the unibios (I would have given you full credit, link to webpage etc, could mention something on the cheat line if it fits). I then accepted your decision when the answer was no.

The offer still stands if you change your mind and it could be done. This would also be a rare occasion where I could add the patch into the released and free version at the same time so there could be no claim I was trying to make money from it. It would also save the modding of good MS2 or the conversion of other games and people trying to make money from it. If this could be done it would simply mean people buying these carts are wasting money if they can use a free unibios to do the same thing. Your credit for it would also not be lost.

Raz

Yeah, i'm breaking my lurking streak here and i absolutely agree. You don't want people profiting off your work you gave away? Then you should maximize the supply, exactly the opposite of what you were doing. Make it available for UniBIOS, advertise and distribute it properly. It only helps you in the end: If i didn't know neo-geo.com and its community, i'd be really tempted to buy that cart off eBay right this moment, but if i knew i could use it via UniBIOS then i would just spend the 30 euros for an EPROM instead of feeding the scummy resellers.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah, i'm breaking my lurking streak here and i absolutely agree. You don't want people profiting off your work you gave away? Then you should maximize the supply, exactly the opposite of what you were doing. Make it available for UniBIOS, advertise and distribute it properly. It only helps you in the end: If i didn't know neo-geo.com and its community, i'd be really tempted to buy that cart off eBay right this moment, but if i knew i could use it via UniBIOS then i would just spend the 30 euros for an EPROM instead of feeding the scummy resellers.

yes better said than all the text i posted saying the same thing

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza

Raz

This ^

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I guess we can get back on topic of how fucking incredible this patch is, and how great of a job system11 did pulling it off. This is a huge improvement to one of the best games of all time, and we can play it on real hardware. Fucking brilliant programming system11 :D

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
yes its awesome. great job guys

Indeed, I just modified a spare MS2 cart I had and tried it. Huge improvement, the game has almost no slowdown, feels very nice. Also, in case anybody is asking, it does work with MVS converters, I tried it on an AES with Magic key converter. Played perfectly, however the UniBIOS won't save to memory card the high scores you make with this cart. I guess it's because it identifies itself with a different code (941 vs 241 on original MS2, hopefully Raz can add this variant of the game to next UniBIOS version so it will save the high scores).

Regards.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I followed his NGH adjustment instructions, so the MS2 carts I modified are NGH-241 instead of 941.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I followed his NGH adjustment instructions, so the MS2 carts I modified are NGH-241 instead of 941.

Yep, I thought of doing it, but didn't. After playing the game, I found out I am not that good at MS2 when played faster, so I think it's fair having separated scores for both variants of the game.

Regards.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Im okay at soldering but don't have the means to burn a Rom myself, whats the best appropriate course of action for me to play this on my MVS cab ? Also I'm not sure yet how I feel doing this to a legit MS2 are bootlegs of the "Original" MS2 common and if so could I do this to a Boot to spare an OG cart?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I can't imagine anyone seriously upgrading their real Slug 2 AES with this patch. Nobody ever plays real quadruple digit AES games anyway.

Now a (pre-existing) conversion, that would be a lot more appropriate.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
I can't imagine anyone seriously upgrading their real Slug 2 AES with this patch. Nobody ever plays real quadruple digit AES games anyway.

Now a (pre-existing) conversion, that would be a lot more appropriate.

I can see that. I still play my high ticket games. Prolly also makes sense to have your original AES as your collector copy and a patched MVS as your gamer copy.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Im okay at soldering but don't have the means to burn a Rom myself, whats the best appropriate course of action for me to play this on my MVS cab ? Also I'm not sure yet how I feel doing this to a legit MS2 are bootlegs of the "Original" MS2 common and if so could I do this to a Boot to spare an OG cart?

I can program a ROM chip for you for the cost of the chip plus shipping - $7 for Continental U.S.

Same goes for anyone else that's interested.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Can anyone please tell me if when running the turbo patch on real hardware you see a sprite glitch during the title page drawing in attract mode. What you are looking for is the words 'Metal Slug' flashing once quickly as the large '2' falls into the screen.

This is something I am seeing in emulation when I try the patch and I wondered if that's an emulation related thing only or happened on real hardware also.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Can anyone please tell me if when running the turbo patch on real hardware you see a sprite glitch during the title page drawing in attract mode. What you are looking for is the words 'Metal Slug' flashing once quickly as the large '2' falls into the screen.

This is something I am seeing in emulation when I try the patch and I wondered if that's an emulation related thing only or happened on real hardware also.

I just tried a cart with the turbo patch on an Omega and I did not notice anything.

Regards.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I just tried a cart with the turbo patch on an Omega and I did not notice anything.

Regards.

Ok that's good, it must be an emulation related issue I'm seeing.

Raz

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Ok that's good, it must be an emulation related issue I'm seeing.

Raz

Maybe not, Raz. I kept watching the attract mode, and it seems some times there is a glitch like what you describe. It does not happen always, and I could not find a pattern quickly, but it did happen after I posted before. If you need more details or tests, I'll help you.

Regards.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Maybe not, Raz. I kept watching the attract mode, and it seems some times there is a glitch like what you describe. It does not happen always, and I could not find a pattern quickly, but it did happen after I posted before. If you need more details or tests, I'll help you.

Regards.

Ohh that's a real shame, I was hoping I was wrong even though its a really minor issue. The fact no one has brought it up kind of shows how minor a problem it is, given it can happen during gameplay also. Are you able to confirm for me that it never happens in the normal version of the game?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Ohh that's a real shame, I was hoping I was wrong even though its a really minor issue. The fact no one has brought it up kind of shows how minor a problem it is, given it can happen during gameplay also. Are you able to confirm for me that it never happens in the normal version of the game?

Sure, will post results tomorrow, I'll test tonight.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Replaced a P1 this weekend. The patch is awesome! Some slowdown in certain hectic stages but a solid 80% improvement overall. It's like a new game. Works on both my CMVS and AES w/blue MVS converter.

2T > X

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I just checked. The flickering in the letters does not seem to happen on an original MS2 (I have not seen it there), but it does happen some times in the MS2 Turbo. Can anybody confirm this please?

Regards.

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
I just checked. The flickering in the letters does not seem to happen on an original MS2 (I have not seen it there), but it does happen some times in the MS2 Turbo. Can anybody confirm this please?

Regards.

Yes it happens occasionally, strangely it happens much more often in emulation than hardware. I've only ever seen it happen on the title screen and once in the character select with the shutters, never seen it happening in-game.

There is also another glitch - you can see it most obviously in stage 1 with the 3 towers - look above the score line and you'll see some lines flashing near the tops of the towers. Interestingly this even happens on the normal game in emulation or hardware, but it's more frequent in turbo.

Also in response of one of the posts somewhere up the page, the programming was actually done by trap15, I hired him :) My programming skills stop at C.

Last edited: