Do you have a NGPC now? Did you 15 years ago?

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Picked up an imported silver one on release from CEX back in the day (when they were good ;)). I thought it was brilliant, but after a month or two the screen began to sink. They were good enough to replace it, but by then it was officially released in the UK.

Portable fighting games drew me to it, along with the ability to link it to the Dreamcast.

I still love the clicky D pad and the charming horoscope; who cares when your money and health are bad, that music is so upbeat!

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
I bought mine at release imported in Germany, since I couldn't afford an AES or MVS. Love it til this day, but sadly backlit LCDs spoiled me, so even my frontlight modded one is kinda ewwwwww to me.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
I had one for a bit maybe between '04 and '06. It was a pearl blue Ngpc which came with a few games. I remember the ones I played the most were Neo Turf Masters, Metal Slug first mission and one of the Samurai Shodowns. I enjoyed the system and the games but sold it eventually when I needed money. I always sold portables and modern systems first. Always tried to hang on to my 8 and 16 bit systems/games no matter how broke I was.

While the Ngpc had fun games and I enjoyed it to some degree I've never been a fan of portable systems that aren't backlit. This includes the original Gba sp which only had a half assed backlight. If Sega and Nec could make nice, backlit handhelds in the early '90's then why couldn't Nintendo and Snk many years later?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
:glee: you won't regret it.

Nice. Hope you didn't have to pay through your nose like it seems one must on ebay and the likes...

I actually traded some common Genny carts i didnt want anymore and got the game for around $28. I felt it was a win!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
good deal indeed. If you should ever grow tiered of it...... ;)

have fun, it's a great game. Been playing it a bunch via Flashmasta.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I did 15 years ago but not now. I definitely miss it from time-to-time, but the prices have made re-acquisition less attractive. I'd love to see SNKP re-release their NGPC games on iOS with Mfi controller support, though it wouldn't be the same without the clicking of the micro-switches.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Well, if you didn't insist on cib everything it would be a lot cheaper...

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Noted. Maybe bare arcade PCBs and digital PC games will eventually break me of that. I doubt it.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I did 15 years ago but not now. I definitely miss it from time-to-time, but the prices have made re-acquisition less attractive. I'd love to see SNKP re-release their NGPC games on iOS with Mfi controller support, though it wouldn't be the same without the clicking of the micro-switches.

Touch Screen Controls = Awful
Clicky disc on actual NGPC = Awesome

This is a bad idea.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I have time on my hands, so I was able to dig into Turf masters and holy shit is that a great game!

How is Crush Roller? I played it in the arcade (SS Billiards) and was impressed. Kinda plays like Lock N Chase.

Last edited:

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Crush Roller would be perfect if it weren't for one issue. You can have the whole map painted, as displayed by the screen, but the level won't complete. The screen doesn't perfectly represent the actual field, so there can be a tiny spot in a corner or two you didn't paint completely. There's no way to identify the area, so it ends up being important to keep track of your movements as you go. That said, even with this major issue, it's still a fun game that I enjoy and recommend you try.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Crush Roller would be perfect if it weren't for one issue. You can have the whole map painted, as displayed by the screen, but the level won't complete. The screen doesn't perfectly represent the actual field, so there can be a tiny spot in a corner or two you didn't paint completely. There's no way to identify the area, so it ends up being important to keep track of your movements as you go. That said, even with this major issue, it's still a fun game that I enjoy and recommend you try.

Thanks for the feedback. You've got me curious now.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I've got a Crush Roller CIB USA, if you want it. It's a great game. Have you looked at Flashmasta's NGPC flash cart? You should try out Puzzle Link 2, the card portion is pretty sweet idea.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I might be forced to collect loose games for this system - it's a lot cheaper. I did that for SNES, and I'm happy. I play most of my games.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Anybody ever have an issue with booting a game? I notice on random games, it either a.) turns off, or b.) brings me to the screen when there isn't a cart in.

Also: what's the best way to clean the system and games? Do you do the same thing as you would with an NES?

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Yes, clean the carts the same way you would an NES cart. That's likely where the problem is. I've never encountered a dead NGPC cartridge. If the system still randomly shuts off during gameplay, I think the AA batteries are probably loose. Sometimes the springs in the system don't put enough pressure on the batteries to prevent them from losing contact when the system is jostled. I've stretched the springs on a couple systems to alleviate this issue in the past.

Last edited:

finnil

Crossed Swords Squire
This brings back memories... I bought it in about 2000 on the pretext it was for my son. Very few at his school had even heard of it - it got well used on all the school trips!
Maybe I'm being nostalgic, but the game-play was so good.
I started collecting more of the games around 2005/6, mainly via ebay. I told the wife they were bargains, but they usually weren't :)
Work doesn't give me much time these days, but I still get them out from time to time, and have a dabble. One of my big favourites was Ganbare Neo Poke-Kun, and all the mini games - I lost hours on that ! Good times!

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
This brings back memories... I bought it in about 2000 on the pretext it was for my son. Very few at his school had even heard of it - it got well used on all the school trips!
Maybe I'm being nostalgic, but the game-play was so good.
I started collecting more of the games around 2005/6, mainly via ebay. I told the wife they were bargains, but they usually weren't :)
Work doesn't give me much time these days, but I still get them out from time to time, and have a dabble. One of my big favourites was Ganbare Neo Poke-Kun, and all the mini games - I lost hours on that ! Good times!

Ganbare is great, but it's confusing to know what to do in it.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Ive had the NGPC for years but only just recently saw the Magician Lord game that was unreleased for it.

Seen the Video? have any info? never been dumped?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Yes, clean the carts the same way you would an NES cart. That's likely where the problem is. I've never encountered a dead NGPC cartridge. If the system still randomly shuts off during gameplay, I think the AA batteries are probably loose. Sometimes the springs in the system don't put enough pressure on the batteries to prevent them from losing contact when the system is jostled. I've stretched the springs on a couple systems to alleviate this issue in the past.

This. Happens all the time. I run a NGP/NGPC site, I've had a few ppl message me about it. NGPC is a rugged mofo, but I still wish it had a lit screen.