Do you have a NGPC now? Did you 15 years ago?

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
I built up a respectable collection of carts and a handful of completed games back around when the handheld was about to be phased out. I fell in love with it and lucky for me, the Neo-Geo in Vegas was pretty strong and it seemed everyone had a NGPC. My first NGPC was a clear white standard but eventually bought a crystal blue NGPC slim as my daily. I still play Magical Drop everyday on the toilet and I my deck is still crappy in Card Fighters Clash.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I think the Japanese Dive Alert games support over 10 simultaneous players, which is pretty neat, but I could be wrong. Has anyone used the adapter with any games?

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm getting spoiled by backlight portables and it is tough to play the NGPC I admit.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Jesus people, play it outside under the sun and enjoy the day, or play it inside by the night table lamp and have a good time. How did you people ever played handhelds before backlit screens? Geez!

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Jesus people, play it outside under the sun and enjoy the day, or play it inside by the night table lamp and have a good time. How did you people ever played handhelds before backlit screens? Geez!

This. I usually play mine in my car while I wait to go into work.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I don't recommend the worm light or any other of the external lighting options. If you aren't aware requires a rechargeable battery pack that is included. I wonder if they would still hold a charge. I used mine on car trips 15 years ago, but it was always out of necessity. I recommend investing in a modified system.

Wow, I didn't know the worm lights used rechargeable batteries. I'm definitely not defiling my NGPCs with backlights, though.

EG, have you even tried playing an NGPC or Wonderswan outside? :cool: It's impossible. That glare.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Of course I have and both of them work awesome under the sun otherwise I wouldn't have said it to begin with.

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy

This. I've been carrying my NGPC to work with me every day to play Turf Masters and Card Fighters and have had zero problems with it. But I admit I'm an old man who grew up with the GB/GBC/GBA.

Really, I'm almost happy to give up the backlight for the sweet, sweet battery life. One pair of batteries has lasted me three weeks without a recharge so far.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
They weren't officially released in Germany. Or at least I never saw one in any of the stores I went to.
Got mine when Lik Sang had them on sale. I guess that was back in 2003? Good times.

arlon

n00b
If anyone might be interested: good news!
It is actually possible to find samurai shodown 1 – the only kind-of-expensive b&w exclusive – at a reasonable price (appr. 25€), but one needs to search on Japanese websites.
It just does not seem to appear on ebay, etc.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lollerz, I got me a couple of Samsho 1 for cheaps eons ago along with Pocket Tennis b&w.

NGPC used to be cheap and it should still be cheap but douchebags make it stupid for everyone else.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
This. I've been carrying my NGPC to work with me every day to play Turf Masters and Card Fighters and have had zero problems with it. But I admit I'm an old man who grew up with the GB/GBC/GBA.

Really, I'm almost happy to give up the backlight for the sweet, sweet battery life. One pair of batteries has lasted me three weeks without a recharge so far.

I've had my launch model since I bought it.

i picked up a slim years ago after reading they had better contrast and was not disappointed. It barely needs any light. Great screen.

arlon

n00b
Now I'm looking (quite desperately) for a Japan-only carbon black slim NGPC.... and cannot find it. [I'm a designer, so I have this "color fetish" with VG consoles :D]
9519093.jpg

There was one on sale on eBay, a couple of months ago, but I can not find any anywhere :( if anyone has any ideas/hints, feel free to let me know...

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
If you have a NGPC now, but didn't 15 years ago, I'm curious as to why.

Did you not know about it then? Were you out of gaming at the time? Was the GBC stealing your attention? Maybe you couldn't afford it?

I thought I would ask this to get an idea of why it didn't get support during its lifetime from those who appreciate it now.

I ended up getting one shortly after it was released. Personally, I was torn on getting it because I already had a GBC, but I really wanted Sonic and Metal Slug. The manager at Stop-N-Save Software was nice enough to let me try his system; after that I was hooked and the decision to buy one was easy to make.
I didn't hear about it at the time. I have one now and I"m happy with it. Just wished I had Neo Turf Masters for it.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I didn't hear about it at the time. I have one now and I"m happy with it. Just wished I had Neo Turf Masters for it.

You can definitely get that game cheap. If you don't need a box, you should be able to get a card for around $10 US. Complete it's probably only going to be around $30. And if you don't care about the label, the Japanese "Big Tournament Golf" is identical and it will run as Neo Turf Masters when your system is set to English.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
if anyone has any ideas/hints, feel free to let me know...
keep your eyes out. I got that model about a year ago via ebay from Japan for 40€ (shipped), all you need is luck. Mine is scratched up a little, but that's fine, I carry it around with me all the time anyhow...

arlon

n00b
keep your eyes out. I got that model about a year ago via ebay from Japan for 40€ (shipped), all you need is luck. Mine is scratched up a little, but that's fine, I carry it around with me all the time anyhow...

it's reassuring to hear this :) anyway, that was the idea: it's the perfect version to carry around, IMHO.

p.s: btw, I'm really enjoying the B&W games under the sun, now that summer has begun! :D

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
I remember wanting the NGPC after seeing it in a Jcpenney catalog one year for christmas. Also played my cousins NGP. I finally bought one when I joined these forums and started doing some game collecting back in like 07-08 fun console

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
I was very into NGPC and only collected UK clamshell release back then. I did not buy a B&W but bought a Slim NGPC long time ago. Also bought a Dreamcast link cable and an AC adapter.

I was into Dreamcast at the time and I thought it was very neat that the NGPC KOF R2 can link up with DC KOF Dream Match 99. Out of all the games, I enjoy Card Fighters a lot.

I still own my original Slim NGPC and a whole bunch of games.

If you have a NGPC now, but didn't 15 years ago, I'm curious as to why.

Did you not know about it then? Were you out of gaming at the time? Was the GBC stealing your attention? Maybe you couldn't afford it?

I thought I would ask this to get an idea of why it didn't get support during its lifetime from those who appreciate it now.

Last edited:

Kazuki

n00b
Yep. I even had a NGP fan website that was linked on the SNK USA page. The traffic eventually killed my site. I couldn't afford the bandwidth. Ran from 98 to 2001. Too bad I banned robots and lost the backup cds...

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I bought a NGPC the week of launch after walking into an EB, seeing it on the shelf, and going Neo Geo POCKET?! At this point I wasn't aware that the AES existed, but I was obsessed with Neo Geo games at the arcade, so I bought the thing within about 30 minutes of learning that it existed. Plus I already had a JP dreamcast at this point so the fact that the NGPC could link up to the greatest system of all time was pretty exciting already. Sadly the thing was almost impossible to find games for in my area, and I eventually sold it around 2006.

I recently purchased a new in package japanese NGPC for a really sick price (at xsq's urging) and I've been back on the wagon, even picked up the flash cart for CFC2 english edition. The NGPC will always be a gem!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I just picked up Gals Fighters loose off of a local store, such a fun game that I would have never considered back in the day.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've had mine since 2000. Crystal Clear Slimline.

Still fire it up quite often, and now that I've moved and will have my non-arcade stuff mingled with the arcade setups, it might get some play from my guests.

All of you must play Crush Roller!!!!

Last edited: