Do you have a NGPC now? Did you 15 years ago?

arlon

n00b
I've actually decided that i'll begin my NGPC little collection with a full black and white Japanese collection.
And the nice thing here is that pretty much all games for NGP are reasonably good ones! Which is very rare.

There's a very small amount of b&w exclusives, and this is the full list:

v Baseball stars
v King of Fighters R-1
v Melon-chan's Growth Diary
v Syougi no Tatsujin
x Neo Cherry Master (later re-released as "color" version)
x Neo Geo Cup 98 (later re-released as "plus" color version)
x Pocket Tennis (later re-released as "color" version)
v Tsunagete Pon!
x Samurai Shodown

v = those I could find easily and cheap
x = not so easy to find and not so cheap

Samurai shodown seems to be the hardest to find at reasonable conditions.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Ive had my Neo geo Pocket Color since it was released in Japan and I just wanna say the first ten years I only owned ONE GAME , it was the only game i ever needed and I still play it all the time its the best portable fighter ever made in my opinion- SNK v Capcom. I personally think thats a testimony to SNK quality.
Now I own about 8 but i always leave SvC in the slot

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I've actually decided that i'll begin my NGPC little collection with a full black and white Japanese collection.
You've already got a good collection going there. But why go after Cup 98 or Pocket Tennis? The color updates are superior IMHO.

its the best portable fighter ever made in my opinion- SNK v Capcom. I personally think thats a testimony to SNK quality.
It's ture. Also lots of replayability and the mini games are a nice bonus.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
You've already got a good collection going there. But why go after Cup 98 or Pocket Tennis? The color updates are superior IMHO.

It's ture. Also lots of replayability and the mini games are a nice bonus.

^^ Love the mini games !! I used to have running comp with my friends on survival mode and blade arts.

Last edited:

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Ive had my Neo geo Pocket Color since it was released in Japan and I just wanna say the first ten years I only owned ONE GAME , it was the only game i ever needed and I still play it all the time its the best portable fighter ever made in my opinion- SNK v Capcom. I personally think thats a testimony to SNK quality.
Now I own about 8 but i always leave SvC in the slot

Zangief is a beast in that game.

arlon

n00b

Well, for some reason, if the console is unlit I prefer the contrast of black and white... which is why, if/when I'll get a Pocket-Color, I'll probably giving it a try with a frontlight mod.

rgarla.tn550

New Challenger
I didn't have a Neo Geo Pocket Color until about 2005. At launch I didn't even know the thing existed. I lived in the ass end of nowhere, at least an hour from a dedicated video games stop, and didn't have an expendable income. I finally managed to pick one up simply because I really liked the feel of the joystick. I bought it from a flee market ,and it kick started my love of SNK.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Well, for some reason, if the console is unlit I prefer the contrast of black and white... which is why, if/when I'll get a Pocket-Color, I'll probably giving it a try with a frontlight mod.
Both Neo Geo Cup '98 Plus Color and Pocket Tennis Color are backwards compatible (most NGPC games are btw.), so you can play them on your b&w system just fine.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I wanted one when they first came out. I must have read about them in EGM and looked at them in the back pages where they had import games and anime mail order ads. I never saw any in stores until my parents and I went to some uppity mall to pick something up. My parent were really strict about buying games or consoles so I didn't even ask but I remember being really excited to hold the box in my hand and read the packaging. A year or so later I then saw the Sonic bundle in a bargain bin at Toys R Us, but didn't want to ask my parents to get one for me.

I finally got an NGPC in 2003. I went to pick up Ikaruga and my jaw dropped when I saw those blister pack bundles. I didn't have enough money for both and I knew Ikaruga would be a bitch to find (I was a smart 16 year old) so I bought that, went to the bank, and took out $100 which I wasn't supposed to touch.

I have most of the pack-in games (afaik the pack-ins were slightly randomized and there were a few games that were swapped out). I've also picked up some of the mid-range games like Rockman and Gals Fighters. I'm a big fan of the Cotton series, so I'd love to get the clamshell of that but it's just too expensive. I'd settle for a cart if I could find one at a reasonable price. As a Dreamcast collector, I'd like to pick up one of the connector cables, too. A few years ago, I also picked up a crystal blue slim model.

The games I have an eye out for are:
• Baseball Stars Color
• Cool Cool Toon
• Cotton
• Faselei
• Magical Drop Pocket
• Melon Chan

EDIT:
People are asking how SNK fucked up so badly with the NGP / NGPC. Without going into the whole story, the NGP was originally only available online through SNK directly. This was in '98/'99 when that wasn't really a normal thing. So that removed a lot of potential buyers. Releasing the color version shortly after launch probably pissed more potential customers off. SNK also didn't recruit enough third parties to develop for the system. Imagine if they got Capcom on board. Instead they took a similar route as the Neo•Geo itself and stuck with first party games, some ADK, etc. This kept the library both small and niche.

I don't know how bad the system flopped and I don't think its sales were the main reason for it being wiped from stores. When Aruze bought SNK, they cleaned house and the NGPC was one of the first victims.

Last edited:

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I too had no idea about the NGPC back then. I wasn't even really into handheld games. I think I only ever bothered to get a couple games for my GBC. Consoles and the PC sufficed. I don't think I could go back without it now, though. In fact, I'd give up the GBC in a heartbeat to keep the NGPC. Clicky handhelds rule.

arlon

n00b
Both Neo Geo Cup '98 Plus Color and Pocket Tennis Color are backwards compatible (most NGPC games are btw.), so you can play them on your b&w system just fine.

Why did I not think about it? :D
Oh well, I'll get the few remaining B&W games then I'll start thinking about getting some proper "color" ones. Which I won't buy for collecting, but simply because they seem really good to play! (thanks for the link btw)

One question about the linked game list: in the "linking" options for each game there are "2P" (2 player linked cable), "DC" (dreamcast) and also "IR". What does IR mean?

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy
One question about the linked game list: in the "linking" options for each game there are "2P" (2 player linked cable), "DC" (dreamcast) and also "IR". What does IR mean?

Probably infrared. There was a wireless adapter thingy.

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
I bought the system when they were released in the clam shells with the 6 games. I also bought 2 more clam shell 4 packs. I had a lot of fun with the games. Those were the only ones I ever got. I should probably go after a few more one day.

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
I wanted to pick one up when they first came out, but didn't have the money. The games looked incredible for a handheld, and at the time I was really getting into Neo stuff for the first time.

I picked mine up in 2003 when they were rereleased in those blister packs. I had just picked up a GBA about a month or two prior, but my NGPC got way more love over the next few months. I played a ton of Neo Turf Masters, and when I got Card Fighters Clash I took the thing everywhere I went. Money was still pretty tight at the time, so getting those four packs of games for $20 was an awesome deal. I'm still looking to fill in the last remaining gaps in my english release collection, and my system still gets played every couple of weeks or so.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Someone take a pic of a b&w bb stars please. I have a cart that has never worked on my ngpc but thought it was a color cart....it may be a b&w cart afterall.

Sweetly bitches

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Played Magical Drop the other day and it's amazing. I wish they'd put it on a modern portable.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I fired mine up tonight to play some Last Blade. Unlit screens can be so frustrating. I had to sit directly under my ceiling light to see the screen. I tried to find a worm light a few years ago but no luck. Anyone know where to find one other than eBay?

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I fired mine up tonight to play some Last Blade. Unlit screens can be so frustrating. I had to sit directly under my ceiling light to see the screen. I tried to find a worm light a few years ago but no luck. Anyone know where to find one other than eBay?

they pop up from time to time on the bay but I've seen people backlight mod them, although i don't think I could do that to my baby. I might buy a second one with no sentimental attachment and try it.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I don't recommend the worm light or any other of the external lighting options. If you aren't aware requires a rechargeable battery pack that is included. I wonder if they would still hold a charge. I used mine on car trips 15 years ago, but it was always out of necessity. I recommend investing in a modified system.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I don't recommend the worm light or any other of the external lighting options. If you aren't aware requires a rechargeable battery pack that is included. I wonder if they would still hold a charge. I used mine on car trips 15 years ago, but it was always out of necessity. I recommend investing in a modified system.

Who does NGPC mods these days?

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I suggest XianXi if he's not too busy with other projects.

arlon

n00b
That looks properly weird.
My guess would be that to get to play via that wireless thing one'd have to get TWO of them, these days... and the supported games are (for me) not really interesting.
I'm trying to find some excuses to get it, but no, can't find any at all :D