Do you have a NGPC now? Did you 15 years ago?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I have 2 now, and I bought my first at launch-ish with Samurai Shodown! 2. I didn't even know they existed till I happened to walk by em in the local TRU. It was the first time that I'd actually 1)Seen a store in my area actually stocking an SNK system of ANY kind 2)Been able to afford it, so I bought it that very instant. Sooo many hours poured into that game. Sadly, they were on shelves here for like, maybe a month and a half, so when I went back to get some more games, they were already gone/shipped back or whatever happened to them. A friend of mine got Match of the Millenium imported for me, and that was awesome. For years those were the only 2 games I had for it, not that I really needed much else. It was only last year that I started getting more for it.

My second one I got last year from a co-worker who was just trying to get rid of it, It was a platinum Sonic edition, still complete w/box, game, everything. At the price he was asking, It would have been tragic to ignore. And hey, a new game to play! I got James to lightmod my bought at launch system, and now it gets almost as much play time as I was giving it when I first got it. That handheld is pure magic.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I got James to lightmod my bought at launch system, and now it gets almost as much play time as I was giving it when I first got it. That handheld is pure magic.
I really need to get on this myself tbh. Would definitely play it a lot more with a backlight.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I really need to get on this myself tbh. Would definitely play it a lot more with a backlight.

It does make a lot of difference, but it suffers the same as anything with a front light (and not a backlight). Some of the colours will look washed out, but I could live with it when I had with the front light mod.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
ive had a ngpc for about 4 years or so. awesome little system I think. I was only 8 years old when the system came out so I wasnt even aware of the handheld. I found out about it a year before I bought one.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I wanted one but couldn't get it because I had just got a Gameboy Color recently.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Bought it back in the day for Ogre Battle, one of my favorite series.

I bought my Pocket about 3 months after release on the recommendation of a friend. I was a High School 9th grader at the time, so not much money, or a job for that matter, and the reason why it took me 3 months to finally get the handheld and some games. My friend ended up selling me his pre-order eToys games about a year later after he needed some money for something I no longer remember. :scratch: I could tell he didn't want to sell them, but it looked like he needed the cash. I thought it was cool at the time he had black clamshell boxes with ESRB logos instead of the cardboard US ones I had.

We were the only two in our school to have the handheld and always got some attention when we played system linked. We might have converted some people, but obviously not enough. :(

Anyone know how many ESRB clamshells were released?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You talking about the link up reminds me of standing in line at the PS2 launch. I got in line at 6 pm for a midnight launch. After I got bored I pulled out my NGPC. Others took note, and at least 6 other guys also pulled out NGPCs, and we played, swapped games, etc. Good times. Arguably, better times than I had with my PS2 when I got it home.

That's awesome, I would have been smiling ear to ear if I saw that and would have jumped in myself and joined the party.

I've only ever known a handful of people in LA that have owned a Pocket, compared to the hundreds I've meet who owned a Gameboy with Pokemon. (Not a insult to people who owned or own a Gameboy with Pokemon.)

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Bought several of them with friends in bundles circa 2000. I can't remember the price, but they were cheap and were supposed to have had a few random games thrown in. When the box arrived, we just had the systems. I contacted the seller and his response was they ran out of games, so deal with it. So, I called Visa to dispute, Visa fucked the seller over and we all got free NGPCs and bought games from eBay for like $2-5 a piece. That was a good time for NGPC stuff :D

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Never owned one, not interested in picking one up.

I don't play handhelds, and think that they are either for babies, or weird degenerates who play games while pooping.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Real late to the party getting one in 06. I wanted to play the Slugs.

I only have 9 games but I'm good atm.

ulyses31

Crazed MVS Addict
I bought mine last year. In fact I didn't know they existed until 3 years ago.

The funny thing is that the NGP was sold a lot here in Spain but never saw one on game shops, maybe because I was more interested on Playstation at the moment it was sold.

Anyway I like it and use it when travelling

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I remember seeing the NEO GEO POCKET in a SEARS catalogue when it was new. I wanted it so bad since I remember seeing the AES launch at retail but couldn't have one.
About 11 or 12 years ago I began buying the NGPC stuff, at the time an AES was too costly but this wasn't. The NGPC was my Entry NEO GEO consol. I have about 4 or 5 of them, the dreamcast link cable and a regular link cable, have the worm light and a rumble pack. I regret not getting the wireless adapters that took the place of the link cable. Shits probably pricy as hell now.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I bought an ocean-blue NGPC two years after its original release and still have it, as well as six or seven games. I thought about selling the lot several times but was too lazy so far. It's been years since I've played it.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Bought mine on release at eToys with US clamshell SS2, KoF R2 and Metal Slug. Bought almost every game I thought I liked for the system. When I went to England in 2000, I picked up last blade clamshell, thinking the US wouldn't get it. Got Faselei! and Evolution on release UK versions. I had the box for it in my parents basement but the system wasn't with it. Was digging around in the controller drawer of my storage and finally found the system. Gotta get a CR 2032 battery for it. I think when I'm back at my parents house, I'll binge play some games on it. I only collect what I play. Haven't played it in years!

Only games I'm missing are Crush Roller and Metal Slug 2nd.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

Pretty good ad. I'm surprised it didn't get more popular being sold at Wal*Mart.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Pretty good ad. I'm surprised it didn't get more popular being sold at Wal*Mart.[/QUOTE]

Didn't it bomb here because a top shot at SNK pulled it from the U.S. Only to reintroduce it after it was too late from a marketing perspective?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Pretty good ad. I'm surprised it didn't get more popular being sold at Wal*Mart.

Didn't it bomb here because a top shot at SNK pulled it from the U.S. Only to reintroduce it after it was too late from a marketing perspective?[/QUOTE]

There was definitely some mistakes made by SNKUSA, but it was so long ago I dont remember the details. I certainly saw it at walmart, which should have been a major push. I don't even remember where I purchased mine, but it was during launch. I want to say I ordered directly through SNKUSA. I had ordered some games from them in the past, and I grabbed a NeoCD bundle from them.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I bought my NGPC and several games along the way at a run-down Hills store (they were later bought out by Kmart). I never remember seeing any NGPC stuff at "major" retailers.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The only places I saw NGPC stuff was Wal*mart and EB/Gamestop.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Ignoring the question, I did pick one up back around the release time. I can't remember which games I had other than Sonic and Pac-Man. I remember seeing the bundles in Best Buy on close out. Sadly I sold off most of my collection years ago and prices have gone nuts since then.