Do you have a NGPC now? Did you 15 years ago?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Hm, I'll just leave what Sweater Fish Deluxe wrote on that in his FAQ (Q#34) here:
Sweater Fish Deluxe said:
They [Faselei! and Last Blade] weren't officially released, but beginning in early 2003 wholesale game distributors started turning up with US copies of them. These copies are only loose cartridges, but they do have the ESRB rating and -1 suffix clearly making them US versions. SNK may have produced boxes for these at least in prototype form since a few have been seen floating around, but they don't seem to have ever been put together with the carts and there probably wasn't any manuals produced. Dynamite Slugger also may have been produced, but as of this writing, it hasn't turned up.

It's been confirmed on these boards too. US Boxes for Faselei!, Last Blade and Dynamite Slugger turned up on ebay recently and for all we know they were legit.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
eBay purged the images on the listings. Did anyone save the pictures of the boxes? I always figured some had to have survived. Shame I didn't get a chance to bid on those. If that's the ONLY time boxes for these games have ever popped, they may have been the last once not destroyed before the blister packed them.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah I would have liked to see them too. It's amazing that they surfaced this many years later. I remember when the carts started surfacing and that was already really cool.

To answer the topic's question, the Neo Geo Pocket Color was my first Neo Geo console back in 1999 when I was still a teenager. There was no way I could afford a Neo Geo so playing the games in arcades and home ports were my only alternative. I really loved the Neo Geo Pocket, it was really a masterpiece. The controls were great, the upcoming games had so much promise and almost always delivered. Especially SNK VS Capcom Match of the Millenium, still to this day I would argue that it's the best fighter on handheld bar none.

There were many other great games too. I believe The Last Blade was actually the last game I bought for it (Japanese version), other late arrivals I remember included Gal's Fighters and Metal Slug 2nd Mission. Only wish it had lived longer.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That's how I felt too. Even on the used market before people started thinking games were like trading stocks, oil and mineral commodities they still were pretty expensive to get into the AES. Owning an arcade machine at home back in the 90s was unthinkable for me...even in the 00s too. NGPC was my thing and I had quite a lot of the games, truly enjoyable system. Sure they were chibi'd out kind of bite sized versions of some of the big boy games but they had charm and played great. The click stick on the system was crazy too as it worked so well. The Last Blade was one of my later/final(?) games too and I got a lot out of it. I do miss my setup as some of my favorites(most actually) are just damned expensive now as I did import stuff. I had the painful to buy now Mega Man, Cotton, Last Blade, and others. Bugged the hell out of me we never got Evolution from the EU release in english, or the Biomotor Unitron sequel too.

I'm hoping that proto of Magician Lord 2 (NGPC) I've seen recent videos on youtube about surfaces as that would be fun to tinker with in a NGPC flash kit or emulator to see the progress.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I purchased a NGPC at launch. Actually, I purchased two NGP consoles (the black-and-white screen versions that preceded the NGPC) at launch, and still have them. Then I purchased a NGPC at launch, and then another a little while after because I didn't feel comfortable playing games on the only NGPC I owned. ;) I had been a Neo-Geo fan since owning a home console for a while early on, and then realizing that I would go broke if I had to spend $319 per cartridge when new games were released, so I sold my home console (and regretted it ever since). I consoled (hehe) myself buy buying all the SNK releases I could for the Japanese Saturn, and then later buying a Supergun and MVS board and building a collection of carts, but I digress. When the NGP was being shown prior to release I just HAD to have one, because it just looked so cool. I mean, a portable Neo-Geo? How could I resist? :)

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I don't know about all that, but I do agree with the last part. I never was insane or loaded enough to drop money like that on an AES, so I just always gravitated towards the arcade when I could find one. At home I had to get Samurai Shodown when that came out on SNES too. But when the NGPC showed up stateside that was a must as it was a chibi cutesied up version of the big boy from the looks of things. I went after anything that looked to be a port or homage/unique title based upon the arcade along with some unique looking gems like Biomotor Unitron. Some games I learned to love the franchise from thanks to the NGPC such as Neo Turf Masters and The Last Blade. That's why I'm really looking to get one again and then go after that awesome sooner (next few months looking at it) than later to be released NGPC Flash Kit from Saint. Been active on his progress thread over at AtariAge and he just dropped word it's almost done.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
We've already seen the thumbnails, but if you feel like sharing then go for it. Have Dynamite slugger carts with the ESRB logo ever shown up, or is it just the box we have evidence of?

Jamie

NEST Puppet
Would love to see these as well if you don't mind upping them.

MissFaith

New Challenger
Hi, this is my first post, hopefully the first of many!

I thought I would start small so seeing a thread about the NGPC seemed perfect. Having seen these awesome little handhelds at launch I always wanted one. Never did sadly but bought a lovley boxed one about three or four years ago.

I bought it for two reasons. Firstly it was a limited edition Sonic Pocket Adventure pack in. Ans secondly I wanted a NGPC to connect to my Jap Dreamcast to use the link feature on CvSNK & MoTM. Was not disappointed and had lots of fun with the Arthur from Ghost 'n Goblins mini jumping game. :down::downf::forw::B:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

I thought I would start small so seeing a thread about the NGPC seemed perfect. Having seen these awesome little handhelds at launch I always wanted one. Never did sadly but bought a lovley boxed one about three or four years ago.

I bought it for two reasons. Firstly it was a limited edition Sonic Pocket Adventure pack in. Ans secondly I wanted a NGPC to connect to my Jap Dreamcast to use the link feature on CvSNK & MoTM. Was not disappointed and had lots of fun with the Arthur from Ghost 'n Goblins mini jumping game. :down::downf::forw::B:

The additional mini games in MotM were definitely awesome and is an aspect that I always wished had made it into the console versions. Welcome to the site!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Welcome to the fray. Keep your head up and your sights set and you should do fine.

I've still never played MotM. I should look at picking it up.

Magn0x

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I think the NGPC is a great system :) My first encounter with it was when I worked in a computer shop many years ago, the Sonic Pocket Adventure game was really impressive, and the clicky stick sublime!

Got a little bit of a collection started between me and my son we have got a NGPC each in fair condition and the following games in box: King of Fighters R2 , Metal Slug 1st Mission, and Neo Turf Masters. Have also got without box Sonic Pocket Adventure, Samurai Showdown 2 and Capcom vs SNK match of the millennium.

Really love the system, just wish you could install a backlight for it, but from what I hear you can only mod it with a front light due to the reflective lcd display type. Always goes with me on trips tho haha :D

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
Got my first NGPC in carbon fiber with Sonic &a Baseball Stars back in July 1998. Took that shit with me on my first time traveling outside of the states, played both games to death. Eventually gave them to my nephew. Re-bought my current system and games about 8 years ago. Wish I would have bought more at the time as the prices now are fucking nuts. All mine are loose in mini clamshells, though I have about 4 of the real U.K. Clamshells somewhere.

J-P

NEST Puppet
Got the greyscale unit at launch when I was in college with SS. Ended up getting the NGPC on launch too with a few games. Pac Man was fun with the 4-way adapter. I lost it though between moving countries and it's in a box somewhere in either the UK or Germany along with Last Blade, MotM and both Metal Slugs.

I recently felt the urge to get one again but was a bit dismayed by ebay prices. MotM was awesome... I definitely sank quite a few hours-worth of bus journeys into the G'n'G / SS sub-games. Now there's a decent flash cart available I might have to get serious on hunting down my original wherever it is.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
What's everybody's assessment of Puzzle Bobble mini? After playing the 3DS version, I just couldn't get into it and sold it to a local shop in Eau Claire.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Wow I do remember those. Good job saving them. I recall those popping up awhile back on another site (or here when I lurked, I forget) and it was just impressive those got dug up.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
That Faselei box is intriguing. I thought they were only in those clamshells 4 pack NGPC packages

Hey,

I'm new here but had to comment on this as I'm a big fan the NGPC.

Had the carbon fibre unit back in the day, which I've still got, and then more recently picked up the Hanshin Tigers edition.

Amazingly underated handheld. Prices are crazy though now, but that is kind of par for the course.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Well, I never really planned on getting one, but picked up a lot recently and it had one it in. It's incoming, so obviously hadn't had a chance to play with it yet, but can't say I really remember much about it. Figure I was tied up with the Gameboy Color at the time, so that is probably why I don't remember much about it. Not to mention my area was very limited on stores, so don't remember even seeing one of these in store.

I will have 2 games to test it out once it comes in, so sort of interested to see if I will enjoy it or not.