DS region question.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
So if I understand correctly, there's no region lock-out on the DS and DS Lite, but there is on the DSi.

Are the DS games coded with a region? For instance, can a UK/Euro DS game play on a newer handheld like a DSi or 3DS from another region?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
some DSi enhanced and DSi exclusive DS games may be region locked on 3DS, but standard DS titles will play on anything that accepts them, like New3DS, 3DS, or DSi.

I have Zelda Mugen no Sunadokei (phantom hourglass) and it plays just fine on my north america 3DSxl.
Great game for learning kanji. You can touch kanji with the stylus and it will show the reading for it in kana.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Long list incoming:

•1000 Cooking Recipes from Elle a Table
•Alexandra Ledermann: Summer Camp Adventures
•Alice in Wonderland
•Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader: Back to School
•Art Academy
•Assassin's Creed II: Discovery
•Barbie: Jet, Set & Style!
•Bejeweled Twist
•Camp Rock: The Final Jam
•Cars 2: The Video Game
•Chara-Chinko
•Chronicles of Mystery: The Secret Tree of Life
•Classic Word Games
•Cosmetic * Paradise
•Cosmetic * Paradise: Princess Life
•Cosmetic Paradise: Kirei no Mahou
•Crime Lab: Body of Evidence
•CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: Unsolved!
•Daniel X: The Ultimate Power
•de Blob 2
•Der Fluch der Osterinsel
•Dolphin Island Underwater Adventures
•DS-Pico Series: Sanrio Puro Land - Waku Waku Okaimono - Suteki na Oheya Otsukuri Masho
•Emily the Strange: Strangerous
•Fancy Nancy: Tea Party Time!
•FIFA Soccer 11
•Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu
• Fossil Fighters: Champions
•Fuyu no Sonata DS
•Girls Life: Fashion Addict
•Girls Life: Jewellery Style
•Grease: The Official Video Game
•Gyakuten Kenji (Premium Edition ONLY)
•Hot Wheels: Track Attack
•iCarly
•iCarly 2: iJoin The Click
•Imagine Resort Owner
•Imagine: Artist
•Imagine: Babyz Fashion
•Imagine: Champion Rider
•Imagine: Fashion Designer - World Tour
•Imagine: Fashion Stylist
•Imagine: Reporter
•Imagine: Rescue Vet
•Jam Sessions 2
•Jig A Pix: Pets
•Jig A Pix: Wonderful World
•Jig-a-Pix Love Is...
•Jig-a-Pix Wild World
•Just Sing!
•Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble XX - Kessen! Real 6 Chouka
•Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! Ore ga Boss! Saikyou Family Taisen
•KORG DS-10 PLUS
•Kung Fu Panda 2
•Little Book Of Big Secrets
•Lost Identities
•Lovely Lisa and Friends
• Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
•Mommy Talk DS
•Monster High Ghoul Spirit
•My Healthy Cooking Coach
•New Carnival Games
•Paws & Claws Marine Rescue
•Paws & Claws: Pampered Pets 2
•Penguins of Madagascar
•Penguins of Madagascar: Dr. Blowhole Returns Again!
•Petz Fantasy: Moonlight Magic
•Petz: Dolphinz Encounter
•Petz: Horsez Family
•Phineas and Ferb Ride Again
•Pictionary
• Pokemon Black Version
• Pokemon Black Version 2
• Pokemon Conquest
• Pokemon White Version
• Pokemon White Version 2
•Popstars
•Power Pro Kun Pocket 12
•Power Pro Kun Pocket 13
•Power Pro Kun Pocket 14
•Pretty Rhythm Collection
•Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
•Puss in Boots
•Rabbids Go Home
•Rika-Chan DS Motto! Onna no Ko Lesson: Oshare Oshigoto Otetsudai Daisuki!
•Rio
•Roller Angels: Pasha to Daisakusen
•RPG Tsukuru DS
•RPG Tsukuru DS+: Create the New World
•SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny
•Scripps Spelling Bee
•Shin Noukyo Iku
•Shrek Forever After
• Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
• Sonic Classic Collection
•Sonny with a Chance
•Style Lab Fashion Design
•Style Lab Jewelry Design
•Style Lab Makeover
•The Biggest Loser
•The Idolm@ster: Dearly Stars
•The Last Airbender
•The Sims 3
•TouchMaster Connect
•Toy Story 3
•TRON: Evolution
•Vampire Legends: Power of Three
•Witches & Vampires - Ghost Pirates of Ashburry
•Women's Murder Club: Games of Passion
•You Don't Know Jack
•Youda Farmer
•Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentai Kyoukai Kyouryoku: Kanken DS Training
•ZhuZhu Pets 2: Featuring The Wild Bunch

Ray

New Challenger
To my knowledge DSi enhanced games will still play on a DSi/3DS/n3DS from another region, but DSi features won't work. For instance, Pokémon Black(EU) works on my Japanese 3DS but the camera doesn't work.(unlike on my EU 3DS)

DSi exclusives are fully region-locked, but I can't think of a single game you would be missing out on.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OK, so I have a DSiXL and a 3DSXL, I only have 2 JPN DS carts; Ketsui & Jump Super Stars, both games play flawless on both systems. Hope that sheds some light.

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
As far as the games I have, any that are DSi enhanced do not work other region 3DSes. For instance, my Solatorobo Euro doesn't work on my Japanese 3DS, and my Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu doesn't work on my Euro 3DS. Not quite sure what the deal is with Pokemon Black and why that would work...

What DSi exclusives? I thought the games just had enhancements and that there were no games that would run on a DSi and not on a normal DS.

Ray

New Challenger
As far as the games I have, any that are DSi enhanced do not work other region 3DSes. For instance, my Solatorobo Euro doesn't work on my Japanese 3DS, and my Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu doesn't work on my Euro 3DS. Not quite sure what the deal is with Pokemon Black and why that would work...

What DSi exclusives? I thought the games just had enhancements and that there were no games that would run on a DSi and not on a normal DS.

I looked it up, and apparently Pokémon B/W/B2/W2 were exceptions to the rule, most other DSi enhanced games are indeed fully region-locked on the DSi/3DS/n3DS, but do work on original DS models in any region. There doesn't seem to be a comprehensive list of which games work, I guess most of the DSi enhanced games just weren't very popular.

As for DSi exclusives, 4 of them exist. They were all released physically in stores, and rely on the built-in camera.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member

Damn, that worries me. I ordered a Euro Solatorobo as it was much cheaper than the U.S. version. Haven't received it to test yet, though.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
If it helps the region locked DS games start with "TWL" on the side next to the barcode. Where as the region free stuff starts with "NTR".

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
If it helps the region locked DS games start with "TWL" on the side next to the barcode. Where as the region free stuff starts with "NTR".

I never knew that...but I've now seen it on my Solatorobo and Fire Emblem:Shin Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu.

Damn, that worries me. I ordered a Euro Solatorobo as it was much cheaper than the U.S. version. Haven't received it to test yet, though.

Unfortunately you're going to have to play this on a DS/Lite to get it to work, unless you have a Euro DSi/3DS or whatever.

Ray

New Challenger
I'm pretty sure the "TWL" just stands for being DSi enhanced, Pokémon B/W/B2/W2 also have this yet aren't fully region encoded. Apparently it was up to the developers to include a region flag which wasn't mandatory, but most did include them. "NTR" games are normal DS games.

Anyway, I wish Nintendo would just do away with region encoding altogether. Sure, it would be cheaper for the Japanese and Europeans to import from the US, but did importing really hurt sales all that much with the Game Boy, GBA or DS? I know plenty of people who would import Japan-only titles if they could, or physical copies of games which are digital-only in others.(SMT IV for example)

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I have heard that DSi region locked games will play on any region original DS or DS Lite (since they weren't programmed with lockout in mind). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Ray

New Challenger
I have heard that DSi region locked games will play on any region original DS or DS Lite (since they weren't programmed with lockout in mind). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yes, they work without any problems apart from losing DSi features.(which I honestly doubt anybody will really care about since WPA2 functionality is useless with Nintendo Wi-Fi being shut down)
Since older DS models also get a GBA port and full flashcart compatibility, I would advise any new buyer to go for a DS phat/Lite over a DSi.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Yes, they work without any problems apart from losing DSi features.(which I honestly doubt anybody will really care about since WPA2 functionality is useless with Nintendo Wi-Fi being shut down)
Since older DS models also get a GBA port and full flashcart compatibility, I would advise any new buyer to go for a DS phat/Lite over a DSi.

This is correct. Any region DSi enhanced game will play on any DS/DS lite. I would definitely not recommend a phat DS over a Lite. The difference in screen quality is amazing. Plus, phat's are pretty hard to come by (in the UK least) compared to Lite's which are everywhere and dirt cheap.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ah, I was just wanting to know this myself.

So, if I'm looking at picking up Card Fighters Clash DS Euro, it'll work on any DS?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Ah, I was just wanting to know this myself.

So, if I'm looking at picking up Card Fighters Clash DS Euro, it'll work on any DS?

Card Fighters Clash will work fine because it is a standard DS release. Euro 3DS/DSi games might even work as standard on your 3DS...I know Australia is a PAL region but I'm not sure how Nintendo work out their 3DS/DSi regions.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Card Fighters Clash will work fine because it is a standard DS release. Euro 3DS/DSi games might even work as standard on your 3DS...I know Australia is a PAL region but I'm not sure how Nintendo work out their 3DS/DSi regions.

Thanks for the heads up, I only own an OG DS, no 3DS or DSi:emb:

But I'll look at grabbing a Euro release of Card Fighters Clash!

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up, I only own an OG DS, no 3DS or DSi:emb:

But I'll look at grabbing a Euro release of Card Fighters Clash!

With a phat DS/DS Lite any region DS game will work without a problem, even 3DS enhanced games. You'll only have a problem if you playing these on either a 3DS or DSi.