Neo cab voltage question

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I have a 1 slot in my cab and wanted to know proper voltage for it. I had a 120-1 card and it died. I'm thinking IT might of Cooked. I just got a new multi and would like to avoid the same fate.

Thanks in advance.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I have a 1 slot in my cab and wanted to know proper voltage for it. I had a 120-1 card and it died. I'm thinking IT might of Cooked. I just got a new multi and would like to avoid the same fate.

Thanks in advance.

5V for the JAMMA 1 slots, I believe. 12v shouldn't really be needed. What is the voltage reading in it right now? under load, of course.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
5.00v is ideal, sometimes you run into power hungry boards that require more amps(current) and the only way to give it more current is to up the voltage. If you need to do that you need to check the voltage at the board on the farthest point from the power inlet. If you run a full Naomi setup, sometimes the voltage needs to be upped to 5.6v just so that the entire system is at the 5.00v level. This is why it's good to have both a jamma voltmeter AND a digital multimeter.

But general rule for majority boards is 5.00v and don't go higher than 5.2v as some chips fry at 5.25v.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
For the larger power hungry boards, wouldn't it be feasible to replace or bypass the built-in power regulation and run 9V to a new regulator circuit designed to keep it at a constant 5V, but provide additional current?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Seems a bit overkill when you can adjust the 5v of a jamma psu so it gets the right amount (dependant on pcb) of stable voltage. Things like Sega's model 1/2/3 are big power hungry boards so the 5v needs to be cranked a little higher.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I was thinking more along the lines of using a random 6-9V wall wart in a CMVS, not a full Jamma Cab, but I guess I shouldn't hijack the thread for this.