Supaboy fixes

kotter

n00b
I just got a Supaboy the other day and decided to have a crack at improving it and try to fix some of the common issues people are complaining about.

Dunno if this is the right place but I thought I'd make a thread here and post my findings in case anybody's interested.

I think I've got a V.2 (it's charging through a mini usb) and the issues I've noticed so far are:

* Audio buzz
* Video interference in some games/areas
* No support in the center of the D-pad
* LED battery indicator

First up, Audio buzz:

In the audio area, all that was needed was a small filter cap at 0.1uf (A in the picture) to clean it up.

First I added the caps for the speakers (B) but they're most likely not needed and I just left them there.

SBAudio01.jpg

So the buzzing is gone but there is still some tearing at the higher volumes that I'll try to get rid of as well.

** TBC **

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I just got a Supaboy the other day and decided to have a crack at improving it and try to fix some of the common issues people are complaining about.

Dunno if this is the right place but I thought I'd make a thread here and post my findings in case anybody's interested.

I think I've got a V.2 (it's charging through a mini usb) and the issues I've noticed so far are:

* Audio buzz
* Video interference in some games/areas
* No support in the center of the D-pad

First up, Audio buzz:

In the audio area, all that was needed was a small filter cap at 0.1uf (A in the picture) to clean it up.

First I added the caps for the speakers (B) but they're most likely not needed and I just left them there.

View attachment 23906

So the buzzing is gone but there is still some tearing at the higher volumes that I'll try to get rid of as well.

** TBC **

You should see if you can add an LED light for power, as I hear one of the issues is you don't know your running out of juice until the game starts glitching.

kotter

n00b
Small update: after checking again the filter caps only removed about 80-90% of the buzzing. I'm also getting distortion on higher volumes. I decided to replace the audio amp and speakers and will hopefully get increased volume and less noise.

If my readings and logic is correct the speakers are rated at 32ohm impedance and running on about .15W. I will try to replace that with a PAM8403 amp capable of up to 3W output but at 3.5V it should be outputting roughly 1W. The new speakers will be 8ohm 1W with 15x4mm dimensions that should be a perfect fit for the holders.
The Audio is coming of the main board through a single wire for mono sound but There might be a way to tap the left and right signals independantly.

The parts have been ordered and will arrive in two weeks or so.

I've also got a circuit for an LED battey level indicator that will fade from green to red based on the output voltage. But first I'll have to drain the battery to see what voltage level it will start to glitch at.