Fuck Yeah Vita!

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Hey everyone. Looking to pick up a PS Vita Slim 3.68 or lower firmware. Haven’t been into the Vita since the launch of the original unit. What is a realistic price to pay for a unit in good shape?

Phillip

You want a Vita with 3.60 or lower. From there you will upgrade it to 3.60. Any particular reason for a slim? You can find ones out there fairly easily that have OLED screens still. Depending on condition, accessories included and model of the Vita, you are probably looking at $150 to $300.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
You want a Vita with 3.60 or lower. From there you will upgrade it to 3.60. Any particular reason for a slim? You can find ones out there fairly easily that have OLED screens still. Depending on condition, accessories included and model of the Vita, you are probably looking at $150 to $300.

Thanks for the info. I thought they could be modded as long as they were 3.68 or lower? I read it could be done using H-Encore. Im not disputing your advice.....just saying that’s why I was looking for one with that firmware. Looking on eBay, I’m noticing that most people who don’t list firmware are ones that probably have the latest firmware installed. As for why I want a slim model. I’ve owned 2 original models in the past (1 3G and 1 WiFi model). Just wanted an opportunity to try a slim model. Guess I’ll start searching for 1 tonight.

Phillip

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
you are probably looking at $150 to $300.

Fuck no, you ain't looking at $300, unless you're getting a system with a 64GB memory card (which you don't need if hacking), some Hori grips, some games and a handy.

Thanks for the info. I thought they could be modded as long as they were 3.68 or lower? I read it could be done using H-Encore. Im not disputing your advice.....just saying that’s why I was looking for one with that firmware. Looking on eBay, I’m noticing that most people who don’t list firmware are ones that probably have the latest firmware installed. As for why I want a slim model. I’ve owned 2 original models in the past (1 3G and 1 WiFi model). Just wanted an opportunity to try a slim model. Guess I’ll start searching for 1 tonight.

Phillip

A brand new one may cost you $200, and those would be better off sourced in Japan. A used one can be ~$150 at gamestop, but at least you see any issues upfront before buying, or you can always go with the usual places of ebay, offerup, letgo and craigslist. On forums, you might find a system with games and accessories for ~$170. I think RAZO had one for sale around that range.

3.65 OFW is where you'd probably want to be, but you can get to CFW on something lower or up to 3.68. The lower the CFW, however, the more hurdles you've have to jump to get a later firmware game up and running. This might not still be accurate, but as it was a few months ago, you'll have to load the CFW on each power up for 3.68, so it's kind of inconvenient, but otherwise, yes, you can mod a vita at 3.68.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Typo by me. You want 3.60 if you can get it (there are plenty), but 3.68 will require you to run each time you reboot. Apparently a hack is being worked on for 3.69 if you want to wait and see if you'd be able to use one that's new. Price will be determined by what you want. I don't know why $300 sounds outrageous for a complete mint console at the preferred firmware with a 32/64GB card. I'm sure you can pay $100 for one that someone sat one if you want.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
3.65 OFW is where you'd probably want to be, but you can get to CFW on something lower or up to 3.68. The lower the CFW, however, the more hurdles you've have to jump to get a later firmware game up and running. This might not still be accurate, but as it was a few months ago, you'll have to load the CFW on each power up for 3.68, so it's kind of inconvenient, but otherwise, yes, you can mod a vita at 3.68.

3.65 is where you want to be if you've got a firmware that's been updated beyond 3.60.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug

Phillip

You are correct, you can run CFW on up to 3.68, but it's more of a hassle. You want to avoid 3.69 for now as it's not hacked at the moment. If you are looking on eBay, you can find many on 3.60 for various prices, but they get pretty high if they are pristine. JoeAwesome is right, RAZO was selling one recently so you may want to check with him.

JoeAwesome

I don't know why $300 sounds outrageous for a complete mint console at the preferred firmware with a 32/64GB card. I'm sure you can pay $100 for one that someone sat one if you want.

You don't need the 32/64GB memory card if you're hacking the system. That's what an SD card and adapter is for. Nor do you need to spend $300 on a bundle like that unless you want to overpay to get it right now. Like I said, plenty of new Vita bundle's were on sale very recently for ~$200 or so shipped from Amazon Japan, and it came with a 16GB card. No need to overpay.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
It also depends on whether you want to OLED or the LCD screen. I've tried LCD screen Vita's and they are fine, I read somewhere slims have a charge port issue and the screen yellowing...though I never witnessed that, so it could be BS. Any screen can have issues. But I've been using the same OLED Vita for years and no issue and the PQ is amazing. If you hack it, you can use SD2Vita instead of an official card. However, if you find a bundle like Joe suggested above, you wouldn't even need that. I don't know what firmware would be shipping on Vitas right now, so if you buy new and get 3.69, you are SOL for the moment.

I suggest you read this through before committing to anything and see what route you want to take:

http://wololo.net/vita-cfw4dummies/

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Soundwave GI and JoaAwesome, thanks for the replies and advice. So between 3.60-3.65 is where I want to be firmware wise. Glad I came here to check first because I would’ve ended up choosing some of the ones I was seeing above 3.65 . One thing that’s never changed over the years is that it’s best to come to the forums and get some advice before committing to a purchase. I would’ve been hating life with one of systems that required me to do all of the extra work every time I went to use it. Thanks again.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Soundwave GI and JoaAwesome, thanks for the replies and advice. So between 3.60-3.65 is where I want to be firmware wise. Glad I came here to check first because I would’ve ended up choosing some of the ones I was seeing above 3.65 . One thing that’s never changed over the years is that it’s best to come to the forums and get some advice before committing to a purchase. I would’ve been hating life with one of systems that required me to do all of the extra work every time I went to use it. Thanks again.

I did a quick look on eBay and Vita prices have come down a lot recently. Check the link I posted above to see the differences between whether you get a 3.60 or above and what hacking options are available to you.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
I did a quick look on eBay and Vita prices have come down a lot recently. Check the link I posted above to see the differences between whether you get a 3.60 or above and what hacking options are available to you.

Thanks for that link. I need to find one that’s at 3.60 . Enso Henkaku definitely is what I want to mess around with. I haven’t done any handheld modding/hacking since early In the PSP scene.

JoeAwesome

They took a dive with Enso being released. Suddenly, you didn't need a Vita with a specific firmware (at the time of release) to hack it, so scalpers couldn't charge more for a system with the privilege to hack. 3.60 motherboard prices probably took a dive as well.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
when are the last NIS titles going up?

All three are up for pre-order on Amazon for a March 19, 2019 release. Penny Punching Princess, The Lost Child, and The Longest 5 Minutes.

I wonder what the last physical US Vita release will be? I assume it will probably be something from Limited Run?

I just bought a ps vita 1001 (the one with the oled screen) boxed and complete for 50 euros yesterday.It is in pristine condition and not much played by the previous owner.It didnt have even a memory card because he used it to play ps4 games around the house.The bad thing is that it is updated to the last firmware which is 3.70 and this means that i will be waiting a bit to mess with cfw.

I think it is a fair price at 50 $ but i can easily buy an aliexpress motherboard and a cheap 4gb memory card and then the total cost will be around 90 euros for a very good emulator console.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I just bought a ps vita 1001 (the one with the oled screen) boxed and complete for 50 euros yesterday.It is in pristine condition and not much played by the previous owner.It didnt have even a memory card because he used it to play ps4 games around the house.The bad thing is that it is updated to the last firmware which is 3.70 and this means that i will be waiting a bit to mess with cfw.

I think it is a fair price at 50 $ but i can easily buy an aliexpress motherboard and a cheap 4gb memory card and then the total cost will be around 90 euros for a very good emulator console.

I have 3 Vita's - I used to have a 1000 OLED and I did love it, but the battery life reminded me of trying to actually play a Sega Nomad. So, I went with the 2000 and got hooked as I just think it's all-around a better design. Plus, insanely better battery life.

I just can't bring myself to mod any of them. I did finally bite the bullet and modded one of my PSTV's especially since those are pretty much paper weights at this point. It was pretty involved to get everything set up nicely and running with SD2Vita, but once it's all done it's a pretty great set up. I can see myself using this as a primarily PSOne and PSP box packed full of shit.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Sony have confirmed that February’s PS+ games for the Vita and PS3 will be the last ones for both consoles.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Virtue's Last Reward is $14.86 on Amazon - FYI

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I honestly expected a better send off for the Vita. Pretty underwhelming imho.

No one gave a fuck about it except the people in this thread, and a few obscure weeaboo gamers that get off on fake anime titties.

Honestly, I dont know why I didn't unsub this thread a long time ago. Amazing exclusive titles on the Vita is almost non existent. Unless you are into imports the scene has been weak for years. Gamestop hasnt had more than like 10 games on their shelves, most of which are 1st year releases that someone traded in and they couldnt sell. Tje Vita has been on the shame side of the store forever.

Pretty sad, cause the Vita is a beautiful piece of hardware that had so much potential.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
No one gave a fuck about it except the people in this thread, and a few obscure weeaboo gamers that get off on fake anime titties.

Honestly, I dont know why I didn't unsub this thread a long time ago. Amazing exclusive titles on the Vita is almost non existent. Unless you are into imports the scene has been weak for years. Gamestop hasnt had more than like 10 games on their shelves, most of which are 1st year releases that someone traded in and they couldnt sell. Tje Vita has been on the shame side of the store forever.

Pretty sad, cause the Vita is a beautiful piece of hardware that had so much potential.

Once hacked it's pretty much the best handheld you can buy. Native support for the entire psx/psp library and emulators coming out of your ass. If you have a need for a handheld that is...

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
It is just disappointing to see the end of the Vita like this. I bought one new when they came out one of those oled versions and it's still the only Vita I own, now I get to watch it die.

R.I.P. Vita 2019...

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Meh, I think it had a decent run. Feels like it was along the lines of Dreamcast. I have a massive library of games I will likely never get around to playing, so I can just treat my shelf as a Gamestop without terrible service and stickers on everything and just enjoy the library for years to come.