Thread: Power supply voltages

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Power supply voltages

Hi

I am building a supergun, so I bought a power supply from jammaboards.com:

https://www.jammaboards.com/store/16...-md-9916a.html

it's a nive PS, it even has -5V and it has good reviews but I am getting high voltages from all outputs like this:

+5V -> 5.5V
    +12V -> 14V
    -5V -> -5.6V

These measures are with the power supply just turned on, with nothing connected to it. Is this normal? I am afraid to connect any board to this power supply out of fear it will fry it. I tried my atomiswave board for like 20 seconds and it started, showed an error (no cartridge), then the color test and I turned it off. I already tried the knob in the power supply, turned it all the way down (left) and those are the voltages I get. If I turn it right, measures are even higher.

Thanks!!

Unholy Trinity.

Ming Dong PSUs are turds. If JammaBoards understood this they wouldn't sell them. I have replaced at least 8 of these out of arcade cabinets over the last 2 years. All with voltage issues and/or dead -5v lines.

I'll let some of the SuperGun folks chime in on specific supplies they use.
    As far as arcade cabs themselves, I have few issues with Peter Chou PSUs. It's also what most of the Arcade Industry has used over the years.

The Unholy Trinity

Tung's Hair Stylist

Quote Originally Posted by ReplicaX View Post
    Ming Dong PSUs are turds. If JammaBoards understood this they wouldn't sell them. I have replaced at least 8 of these out of arcade cabinets over the last 2 years. All with voltage issues and/or dead -5v lines.

I'll let some of the SuperGun folks chime in on specific supplies they use.
    As far as arcade cabs themselves, I have few issues with Peter Chou PSUs. It's also what most of the Arcade Industry has used over the years.
    Yeah, Peter Chou PSU's are the same ones sold by Bob Roberts. He tests each one before it makes its way to you. I've generally heard bad things about the quality of PSU's and Jamma extension cables from JammaBoards. Can't speak for their other items though.

Genyosai's Servant

Voltages usually look fucked up unless the PSU is under load. You should be measuring the 5v and 12v with something connected to the PSU, but with readings like that, I could understand hesitation to do this.

Unholy Trinity.

Quote Originally Posted by skate323k137 View Post
    Voltages usually look fucked up unless the PSU is under load. You should be measuring the 5v and 12v with something connected to the PSU, but with readings like that, I could understand hesitation to do this.
    Even with no load, the 5v should be adjustable even below 5v on a meter with its low load. If its not adjusting down its defective. Those Ming Dong pos the adjust even effects the 12v and -5v, its garbage.

The Unholy Trinity

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Even with no load, the 5v should be adjustable even below 5v on a meter with its low load. If its not adjusting down its defective. Those Ming Dong pos the adjust even effects the 12v and -5v, its garbage.
    I thought so. It will adjust, but it will not go under 5V. Lowest I can get it is 5.5V, highest is 6.5V. And yes, it does change the -5V and 12V lines too. I thought that was normal, but now I see is not. I'll try to return this thing and get my money back, but now the question is: which power supplies are the best ones and where to get them?

Thanks!!

Unholy Trinity.

Quote Originally Posted by aha2940 View Post
    I thought so. It will adjust, but it will not go under 5V. Lowest I can get it is 5.5V, highest is 6.5V. And yes, it does change the -5V and 12V lines too. I thought that was normal, but now I see is not. I'll try to return this thing and get my money back, but now the question is: which power supplies are the best ones and where to get them?

Thanks!!
    Peter Chou has been mentioned. You can get them from Bob Roberts or Suzo-Happ.

If its going inside a supergun and you want a smaller profile. The supergun guys need to chime in.

The Unholy Trinity

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Peter Chou has been mentioned. You can get them from Bob Roberts or Suzo-Happ.

If its going inside a supergun and you want a smaller profile. The supergun guys need to chime in.
    Thanks ReplicaX. I see Amazon sells these Peter Chou power supplies: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GM3F8D8/...I2WJLAWTLMGXJ3
    While suzo-happ has these: http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement_pro...-0064-00?SS=ON

which one would be better in terms of reliability/durability and playing fair with the JAMMA boards? teh supergun will be used with a 2-slot MVS, an atomiswave and probably some CPS2 boards.

Thanks!!

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    One thing that can affect voltage is the input select, make sure it's set for your AC power.
    I just checked and the switch is on the 110V position, however the AC current here is 120V, can that explain why the power supply outputs higher voltages?

Thanks!!

JammaNationX

I just checked and the switch is on the 110V position, however the AC current here is 120V, can that explain why the power supply outputs higher voltages?

Thanks!!
    No, it just requires a minimum load on the +5v line. Find a PCB you don't care about for smoke tests.

Who?

I personally never used one of those.

I have worked with Euro brands ( Intervideo, Hermes ) and I never had a single sign of worry of any of them.
    Suzo PSU's are also very nice.

Are you sure you aren't having troubles with your pot?
    I had a friend asking me to check his supergun and turns out that the pot was defective. His problem was the opposite of yours tho.
    He couldn't go above +4.7V.
    I replaced the pot and it went back to full functionality.
    Last edited by Atro; 03-24-2015 at 05:16 AM.

Unholy Trinity.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSDies View Post
    Depends on which type of voltage regulation the PSU uses.
    It could also be that the PSU was designed in mind with use in a full arcade cabinet, with fairly long wires running the voltages to the components, and they wanted to account for a voltage drop.

More likely though, it's made with shitty cheapo chinese knockoff parts and has shit voltage regulation.
    Which type? Every JAMMA PSU I have encountered is a switching PSU.

Designed for use of a full arcade cabinet with long wires....

The Ming Dong is a POS, period. Open one up and you will see.

The Unholy Trinity

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

No, it just requires a minimum load on the +5v line. Find a PCB you don't care about for smoke tests.
    That's a difficul thing. Here all JAMMA PCBs are expensive as hell, even boots are expensive. Besides, I only have 4 JAMMA boards so far: an Atomiswave, an MV2F, a boot Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and a broken MV1C. Of all, the only candidate would be the MV1C, but I am afraid it will not load the PS enough, because it throws some memory errors on boot, does not even show the crosshatch, therefore I think it does not access the cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Atro View Post
    I personally never used one of those.

I have worked with Euro brands ( Intervideo, Hermes ) and I never had a single sign of worry of any of them.
    Suzo PSU's are also very nice.

Are you sure you aren't having troubles with your pot?
    I had a friend asking me to check his supergun and turns out that the pot was defective. His problem was the opposite of yours tho.
    He couldn't go above +4.7V.
    I replaced the pot and it went back to full functionality.
    Thanks for the tip on the potentiometer, Atro however being this thing is new, with warranty (I guess) then I'd rather not even open it. However if I have to keep it for any reason, I may try what you suggested

Which type? Every JAMMA PSU I have encountered is a switching PSU.

Designed for use of a full arcade cabinet with long wires....

The Ming Dong is a POS, period. Open one up and you will see.
    I'd rather not open it now, since it may be possible to return it, but if I have to keep it for any reason, I'll open it and post pics here for the lulz

Thanks!!

Unholy Trinity.

That's a difficul thing. Here all JAMMA PCBs are expensive as hell, even boots are expensive. Besides, I only have 4 JAMMA boards so far: an Atomiswave, an MV2F, a boot Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and a broken MV1C. Of all, the only candidate would be the MV1C, but I am afraid it will not load the PS enough, because it throws some memory errors on boot, does not even show the crosshatch, therefore I think it does not access the cartridge.

Thanks for the tip on the potentiometer, Atro however being this thing is new, with warranty (I guess) then I'd rather not even open it. However if I have to keep it for any reason, I may try what you suggested

I'd rather not open it now, since it may be possible to return it, but if I have to keep it for any reason, I'll open it and post pics here for the lulz

Thanks!!
    Yeah don't open it, get a refund. That comment was specifically targeted at the member quoted: DNSDies

The Unholy Trinity

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Hi

I've been searching and found this power supply: http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement_pro...-0064-00?SS=ON

Do you think it's a good PS guys? any experiences with it? I searched for Peter Chou but did not find a source for them

Thanks for any help.

Genyosai's Servant

The power pros are decent. The only problem I have with them is I had 2 in a row where the 12v was way too high. With 5v set correctly, the 12v was around 13v. It never did cause me any problems but it's something to keep in mind.

My favorite PSU was the meanwell MWP 606, but I can never find them any more

JammaNationX

Hi

I've been searching and found this power supply: http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement_pro...-0064-00?SS=ON

Do you think it's a good PS guys? any experiences with it? I searched for Peter Chou but did not find a source for them

Thanks for any help.
    That's the PSU I had that fried after a month of use before I got a Weiya that is still being used 5 years later and powered on and off over 50 times a day.

Genyosai's Servant

Huh, I've had 3 meanwells in daily use, 2 on superguns, one in my one slot cab. They've been solid for years.

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by skate323k137 View Post
    Huh, I've had 3 meanwells in daily use, 2 on superguns, one in my one slot cab. They've been solid for years.
    I'm referring to the Suzo being bad not the meanwell.

Unholy Trinity.

That PowerPro by Suzo is not a Peter Chou, I guess they stopped carrying the Peter Chou 15A JAMMA PSUs. A shame really...

The Unholy Trinity

Genyosai's Servant

I'm referring to the Suzo being bad not the meanwell.
    That makes a lot more sense. I replaced all my suzo's with meanwells when I couldn't get the 12v under 13v on the suzo's.

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

I searched for meanwell, and it seems the RT-125A will do: http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/produ...px?prod=rt-125

However it does not have the potentiometer to change the voltage values, is that a problem?

Thanks!!

Trollbox Trade Federation

It looks like it's at the end of the termination block. Spec sheet says it adjust 4.75V~5.5V
    Clowns Suck

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!

Quote Originally Posted by bustedstr8 View Post
    It looks like it's at the end of the termination block. Spec sheet says it adjust 4.75V~5.5V
    So, this PS would be a nice one for my supergun, from what I understand, not only in quality but also durability right?

Thanks!!

Thread Information