HBO now...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...this is interesting...

Been following this one for a bit. Its seems that as an Apple TV owner, I can get this service for $15/mo starting next month...and just in time for the next season of Game of Thrones.

Finally, a company starting to wise up and see that many of us do not have/want full pay TV but are still willing to pay for their service.

Anyone else going to make this move?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Well...this is interesting...

Been following this one for a bit. Its seems that as an Apple TV owner, I can get this service for $15/mo starting next month...and just in time for the next season of Game of Thrones.

Finally, a company starting to wise up and see that many of us do not have/want full pay TV but are still willing to pay for their service.

Anyone else going to make this move?

When the apple exclusivity ends, I will probably give it a try.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
im just now finishing up The Wire. Id say for that and Game of thrones its more than worth it. Plus all the back catalog on demand

89754-Clay-Davis-SHIT-gif-The-Wire-S-yi7I.gif

sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiit

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Gonna have to wait till exclusivity ends for me as well. HBO is less than $15 on my cable package, so this doesn't save my anything. I'll just stick with HBO Go.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I keep my HBO sub year round on Directv for the simple reason they deserve the money. When you think about the rest of the horseshit that plagues other networks, and put that up against the quality of shows HBO puts out it becomes clear. I realized this long ago, and it was pretty shitty when they scrapped carnivale due to financial costs, but these shows need serious cash to produce.

tumblr_l8h75b6ikF1qcom3f.jpg

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Everyone that hasn't yet, check out Carnivale.

It's only 2 seasons and it doesn't have a proper ending since it was cancelled, but I loved it.

Edit: didn't scroll all the way down, ballzdeepx has good taste.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
When the apple exclusivity ends, I will probably give it a try.

You can watch it via your computer as soon as it starts up. You basically can watch on any computer, iOS device or AppleTV. You'll have to order it through Apple at first, but that's pretty straight forward. ;)

I'm just bummed we're not getting HBO Go, but we'll see how HBO Now works when it starts streaming. The thing I want most is the live feed of HBO you can get in Go and the movies, obviously. It's still not 100% clear if HBO Now is just going to be on-demand streaming of HBO shows and specials only, or... If it's closer to Go.

Either way, I'm interested, but need to see it in its final form before I am ready to buy.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm confused why HBO waited so fucking long to do this.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
What am I looking at?

They tried, long ago, to offer official HBO service independent of a cable company. Someone knocked their satellite transponder offline.

The actual reason probably has to do with their contracts with Comcast/TWC/Cox/etc. Usually, a channel on Comcast is prohibited from being available on anything but other cable systems + encrypted DBS.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Everyone that hasn't yet, check out Carnivale.

It's only 2 seasons and it doesn't have a proper ending since it was cancelled, but I loved it.

yeah i watched it when it originally aired. i to was sad when it was cancelled.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
apple exclusivity time is 90 days (basically the season of Game of Thrones).

I am having a mostly great time with slingtv right now. its $20/month but it gives me the bridge of the cable channels i want with the cable free lifestyle. plus they are still adding new channels to it for the same price. 2 weeks ago was amc and ifc, next week we are getting history and h2 added. The downside of sling is they only allow one screen at a time and 2 would be optimal at my house.

the sony vue option is too expensive (basically its the same price as full cable).

I am at the point of maybe using some services in an "on/off" capacity. turn hbo on when there is a series i want, turn netflix off until the next exclusive comes on then turn it back on.

Last edited:

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I'm so happy I was able to mooch my sister's credentials so that I can watch the next season of Game of Thrones. I may buy it outright though since there is so much good content on there.

Oh, and yes Carnivale was a fucking masterpiece. I am so frustrated they never finished it.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I already have HBO Go w/ my cable package...$15 seem a bit high though, still you get a lot of good quality shows.

True Detective 2 is coming out during the summer...Also the Wired is finally HD, so im going to check that out. Other great shows like Deadwood... Eastbound & the Downs.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
So... Finally started my free 30 day trial tonight. Does this work for anyone? It chugs like an absolute bitch for me. Every few seconds it stutter-steps. Not impressed. Tried it in Chrome, IE and on my iPad. Stream is good, it's the HTML5 code chugging, as is very noticeable when you switch browsers. Anyone remotely satisfied with this? I was psyched for it, but immediately canceled my subscription renewal. I'm not paying for that shit... Oh... And... Content seems lacking as well. I think Netflix and Hulu have spoiled me.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
So... Finally started my free 30 day trial tonight. Does this work for anyone? It chugs like an absolute bitch for me. Every few seconds it stutter-steps. Not impressed. Tried it in Chrome, IE and on my iPad. Stream is good, it's the HTML5 code chugging, as is very noticeable when you switch browsers. Anyone remotely satisfied with this? I was psyched for it, but immediately canceled my subscription renewal. I'm not paying for that shit... Oh... And... Content seems lacking as well. I think Netflix and Hulu have spoiled me.

hbo WITH on demand via sling is pretty great. Full on demand content compared to regular hbo..

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Was gonna wait but with the 30 day trial ending soon I figured why not

Once the apple exclusive is over then maybe I'll hop back on

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It was completely fine up until Sunday night...then it started acting up. I'm not sure what the deal is. From Sunday on, the video would stutter a bit and last night, the audio was a mess at times. Right in the middle of a show, if fucked up so bad, my Apple TV did an auto reboot...

Not sure what the deal is, I'm sure they'll fix it but it may take time.

When I first bought my Apple TV years ago...Netflix was a mess on the thing for months, they finally got it right.

I have a Roku 3 sitting in the box because it was so fucking horrible...could stream Netflix or Amazon to save its life. I would immediatly switch back to the Apple TV and streaming was perfectly fine.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Good to hear this is not normal for the service. I have a month. I'll give it a chance and see if things improve.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Good to hear this is not normal for the service. I have a month. I'll give it a chance and see if things improve.

Let's hope so...I pretty much subscribed to the service for GoT, I'll be pretty ticked if it is still screwed up come this time next week...

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
fun fact about subscribing it via sling: they pro rate by your billing cycle. I wanted to try it out so i dubscribed 10 days to billing. boom it's $5. i might just do hbo catchups every month. self cancel/ add on every month. takes less than a minute to do. (when you cancel, it removes it when your bill cycles).

for those that find $15/month too unappealing.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
fun fact about subscribing it via sling: they pro rate by your billing cycle. I wanted to try it out so i dubscribed 10 days to billing. boom it's $5. i might just do hbo catchups every month. self cancel/ add on every month. takes less than a minute to do. (when you cancel, it removes it when your bill cycles).

for those that find $15/month too unappealing.

That is pretty nice, actually. The content is sort of lacking for a all-the-time-every-month sort of thing. I could totally see getting this for a week every month and playing catchup. That would work fine. :D

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
That is pretty nice, actually. The content is sort of lacking for a all-the-time-every-month sort of thing. I could totally see getting this for a week every month and playing catchup. That would work fine. :D

thats exactly my thinking. basically 10 days a month for 5 bucks. i see everything that happened that month.