Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Disagree. You let them off the hook too easy. If you can’t make Metal slug, don’t try and make Metal slug.

There are many indie games out there that are very polished and made by small teams. Games made back in the 90’s didn’t have a cast of thousands working on them and they didn’t take over 4 years to make either. NGDEV have found a cosy niche here where people give them multi year interest free loans to push out mediocre games in pretty packaging for $500. What they produce wouldn’t survive anywhere else.

This post is bang on, and encapsulates perfectly why I’m not excited about this.

This post is bang on, and encapsulates perfectly why I’m not excited about this.

This is an interesting discussion.
I tend to take on the same position. Why is a indie-game like "pier solar" available for 130 bucks while a NG/MVS game costs 500 bucks. The actual hardware value can't be an argument anymore as we are no more in the nineties. both games are developed in micro-teams, both are low productions numbers.
so why must neo geo games still be 500 bucks? (a 128gb SD card costs 50 bucks in comparison)
there are complex indie-app games for 2 bucks, so the hardware factor can't make it up for the remaining 498 in difference. Don't you think guys?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
That's not great logic. Those early Neo Geo games where also arcade games, litterally, and their higher price reflected this and what they cost to make. Good or not, these where arcade games you could access for the home. This not the case at all today
maybe you are right and my conclusion doesn´t make sense in your eyes. What I want to say is that money or SNK or rarity is not the reason why a game is good or not. The hard work and having fantastic ideas is the reason a game is enjoyable or not. Making a NeoGeo Cartridge with shockbox is much more expensive than just pressing a CD or DVD, maybe not worth 500,00 EUR, but still more thant 50,00 EUR.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I purchased both Gunlord and XYX and that was the feeling I was left with both of those too and it's why I don't buy their games anymore to be honest. The gameplay itself is fairly good, music was great overall presentation of the product as in the packaging is top notch but the lack of polish in the graphics really lets them down. It's almost like they try to do too much but their ambition gets ahead of their ability.
This has not been my experience at all with these titles. I have been consistently impressed with the level of work they put out.

chacha

n00b
Hello guys.

Today for me :

1549296001-2019-kb-shipped.png

Missile

Another Striker
This has not been my experience at all with these titles. I have been consistently impressed with the level of work they put out.

Me too, Neo XYX is one of my favourite games ever. Some people on this board have a weird grudge against NGDevteam. Just google the original Fast Striker thread here. You would have thought NGDevteam had tried to murder people's kittens by releasing a new game on Neo Geo. If you don't like the games you can sell them for more than you paid for them! I sold my original Fast Striker MVS for over £1000 last year. I used the money to buy Fast Striker AES reprint, an original R-Type Arcade board and a Carrier Airwing PCB. (not an exaggeration. FACT)

If you want futher evidence of bias search for Knight Chance AES http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-Knight-s-Chance-quot-AES-Pre-Orders-Now-Open and look at the level of arse-licking going on.

I personally think it looks like a good game but imagine if NGDevteam had released Knights Chance. That thread would have looked completely different.

"Why are you mutherf**ckers releasing a collection of flash games for $400+!!!??? F*ggots!"

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Me too, Neo XYX is one of my favourite games ever. Some people on this board have a weird grudge against NGDevteam. Just google the original Fast Striker thread here. You would have thought NGDevteam had tried to murder people's kittens by releasing a new game on Neo Geo. If you don't like the games you can sell them for more than you paid for them! I sold my original Fast Striker MVS for over £1000 last year. I used the money to buy Fast Striker AES reprint, an original R-Type Arcade board and a Carrier Airwing PCB. (not an exaggeration. FACT)

If you want futher evidence of bias search for Knight Chance AES http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-Knight-s-Chance-quot-AES-Pre-Orders-Now-Open and look at the level of arse-licking going on.

I personally think it looks like a good game but imagine if NGDevteam had released Knights Chance. That thread would have looked completely different.

"Why are you mutherf**ckers releasing a collection of flash games for $400+!!!??? F*ggots!"

Maybe I’m in the minority but I would rather they release something polished to a professional standard that doesn’t push the hardware to its limit rather than something that doesn’t feel quite done because they tried to do too much.

Mr Morden

n00b

I'm with missile here the games are good for indy dev standards,.
Got to acknowledge the out of control costs and endless delays however.
Exactly why can Xeno crisis standard neo release come in at 200 and this cost so much more?
Kudos on the flipping thats a huge mark up.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Maybe I’m in the minority but I would rather they release something polished to a professional standard that doesn’t push the hardware to its limit rather than something that doesn’t feel quite done because they tried to do too much.
So is the problem that they push the hardware too far, and it makes the limitations too glaring? I think I'm pretty mindful of the Neo's limitations, which makes me all the more impressed with each release.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
So is the problem that they push the hardware too far, and it makes the limitations too glaring? I think I'm pretty mindful of the Neo's limitations, which makes me all the more impressed with each release.

Not pushing the limitations of the hardware, it’s the attention to detail that’s lacking.

Last edited:

boss0033

Kula's Candy
Just unpackaged and played a few levels! IMO, they did a hell of a job! Game is super fun and seems like it has a ton of variables! So far, so good!

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Just wanted to clarify and update my review and hope people read this updated section:

"Take note: I'm playing this on an LG 86" 4K TV on my OMEGA using the component out, connected to a RetroTINK-2X that upconverts to 480P. While games like Metal Slug look fantastic, no Neo Geo game was meant for 4K, including Kraut Buster. That, and despite what your significant other may tell you, size does matter: 86" is going to make any retro game look a little distorted, so keep that in mind."

It was not my intention to knock the graphics of Kraut Buster, and in fact I don't think I did (even saying I'm not) but please keep in mind I played this on a 4K TV, and at almost 90" anything that's not meant for my Xbox One X is going to look a little off.

Just wanted to get that out there as it seemed some people were not clear on where I was coming from (that, as well as SUHD is what LG calls/called 4K, which might confuse people).

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
TMO don't worry about it.

Some people get upset when others say anything...fuck them.

Glad you're enjoying it!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'm with missile here the games are good for indy dev standards,.
Got to acknowledge the out of control costs and endless delays however.
Exactly why can Xeno crisis standard neo release come in at 200 and this cost so much more?
Kudos on the flipping thats a huge mark up.

What do you think required a bigger budget and more people, Smash TV or Metal Slug?

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Just wanted to clarify and update my review and hope people read this updated section:

"Take note: I'm playing this on an LG 86" 4K TV on my OMEGA using the component out, connected to a RetroTINK-2X that upconverts to 480P. While games like Metal Slug look fantastic, no Neo Geo game was meant for 4K, including Kraut Buster. That, and despite what your significant other may tell you, size does matter: 86" is going to make any retro game look a little distorted, so keep that in mind."

It was not my intention to knock the graphics of Kraut Buster, and in fact I don't think I did (even saying I'm not) but please keep in mind I played this on a 4K TV, and at almost 90" anything that's not meant for my Xbox One X is going to look a little off.

Just wanted to get that out there as it seemed some people were not clear on where I was coming from (that, as well as SUHD is what LG calls/called 4K, which might confuse people).

Nah it was perfectly explained by you, and you contrasted it to the way Metal Slug looked.

I don't agree with you Neo Alec, I have always felt they employed semi cheap trickery to make games look good but scratch the surface a little and there's not much there. My experience

Ukyo

20 Year Member
got my package last night; had a couple hours with the game...

-only played on T-mode, hardest difficulty ,1 credit, so I got half way or so through second stage. (not trying to blow through content)

-quality sprite work everywhere, even if some of the humor and character design is a bit derivative. This feels more like wolfenstein meets kid chameleon. Everything is saturated and highly detailed, style feels kinda ADK in execution. (Like Jet/ Perfect era)

-controls like a dream, the MS5 dash is here but much more responsive, and you can even cancel out of it. Mantle up and down over terrain feels great, no collision issues so far. Gameplay feels fast even in T-Mode.

yellow chicks=POWs; help you fight like satellite units for a limited time. Masks act as 1-hit kill buffer and will buff your movement, weapon, and chicks in different ways. Tengu mask is my favorite so far...loving the weirdness.

-score system appears similar to fast striker with a "time to kill" multiplier cooldown. There are also tons of treasures like gems /goblets, etc to collect. You get a tally at the end like gunlord.

-intro / attract demo is epic, they went all out. Same goes for world map and character select. How to play screen also robust. Polish everywhere.

-crippled knife thrower and skiing soldiers are standout enemies so far. Wide range of projectiles to avoid, some pretty beefy. Excellent mid-stage air balloon boss toasts his own guys.

-dips accessible in-game. Customize color palette of hero, tons of visual and gameplay options. You can input lots of characters on scoreboard like blazing star.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Just throwing this out there but if anyone isn't satisfied, I missed out on the pre-order and would be interested in a cart.