Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Germans can rest assured that most of the world doesn't still view them as Nazis or Krauts (which they aren't)

Is this a joke? It's the year 2015 and the rest of the world (Americans included) still think of Nazis whenever Germany is mentioned. It's unfortunately something that just won't be dropped.

I guarantee you, with Americans at least, Kraut is a derogatory word used towards Germans very much the same way chink is with Chinese and gook with Vietnamese.

I agree with Spoon, too - Nazis as bad guys, *again*? boring.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I really feel like all the talent, time and money has been wasted on this project. I mean, by all means, this looks great, but it feels like one of those weird South Korean late '90/early '00 jamma bootleg that refused half-remade sprites from famous games.

Why would I play this when I can play the original?

The talent and skills are there! Why are they 'wasting' it on a clone? Especially since MS has a very distinctive style..

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
The title is offensive and in bad taste.
Also the music is awful.

Project Y looks far more promising.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Why would I play this when I can play the original?

The talent and skills are there! Why are they 'wasting' it on a clone? Especially since MS has a very distinctive style..
I couldn't have said it better myself. They have the resources to make a great original title and they are spending it all trying to re-create something legendary. You will never be Nazca. Stop trying. Be yourself and maybe someone (read not a collector who just wants another box on their shelf) will actually appreciate your artistry.
-ud

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't mind the Nazi theme, hasn't been done on a game like this so I'm all for it. What bothers me is that it looks so washed out, no consistency with the colors and the shading is so subtle that it looks like Vigilante, not in a good way though.

vigilante_remake_02.gif

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I don't mind the Nazi theme, hasn't been done on a game like this so I'm all for it. What bothers me is that it looks so washed out, no consistency with the colors and the shading is so subtle that it looks like Vigilante, not in a good way though.

vigilante_remake_02.gif

At least Vigilante had black Skinheads. Kraut needs to get some black Nazi's in there.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
If they were going the Metal Slug rip-off route they could have at least changed the time period and setting. Like others mentioned, maybe something futuristic like Cyber Lip. I'm sure they're working on the vomiting zombies as we speak. Screw originality.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
No, should have went with the North Koreans as the villains. Or maybe a Cold War Soviet throwback.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
This may not be something I'll buy, but I'm still amazed at NGDev's skills to make these games for Neo. I know there is a lot of criticism of it being a Slug clone, but there is an extreme amount of work that goes into this. This may have been something they always wanted to make, their take on Metal Slug. I can't bash them for that.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Sounds to me like people here have turned sauer on the name Kraut.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I'm a huge NGDEV fanboy and even worked for NGDEV on Gunlord as a tester and design contributor for the boss mechanics. I've got all the MVS LEs they've released so far, but I'm disappointed with what they've shown here so far.

First off, whether the title is offensive or not is irrelevant. Any title that spawns a debate on whether or not it is offensive is a bad title. Period.

Secondly, they are cloning a game that is one of the best examples of the genre for ANY system, ON the system it was made for, where literally everyone in their target audience will already have at least one Metal Slug game. This doesn't make any sense! Maybe they will hit this one out of the park, but the bar is set extremely high.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I'm a huge NGDEV fanboy and even worked for NGDEV on Gunlord as a tester and design contributor for the boss mechanics. I've got all the MVS LEs they've released so far, but I'm disappointed with what they've shown here so far.

First off, whether the title is offensive or not is irrelevant. Any title that spawns a debate on whether or not it is offensive is a bad title. Period.

Secondly, they are cloning a game that is one of the best examples of the genre for ANY system, ON the system it was made for, where literally everyone in their target audience will already have at least one Metal Slug game. This doesn't make any sense! Maybe they will hit this one out of the park, but the bar is set extremely high.

I think in addition to this is the fact that you can get Metal Slug games for less than 50 bucks, so a 400+ dollar game would really need to surpass MS to make me interested. I guess if you are a MS fanatic this could be viewed as a new version and that would be very appealing, but I am just not in that camp.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I guess if you are a MS fanatic this could be viewed as a new version and that would be very appealing, but I am just not in that camp.

If you're a MS fan and haven't played Demon Front....get that instead.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think in addition to this is the fact that you can get Metal Slug games for less than 50 bucks, so a 400+ dollar game would really need to surpass MS to make me interested. I guess if you are a MS fanatic this could be viewed as a new version and that would be very appealing, but I am just not in that camp.

Exactly. Maybe back in the day if this was released it wouldn't be getting any criticism but now comparing prices it just doesn't make sense to own it unless it is seriously revamped.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
If you're a MS fan and haven't played Demon Front....get that instead.
Oh yeah, Demon Front is quite fun. Both that and Gunforce 2 / Geostorm are worth playing, for fans of this type of game.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
I'll skip this release this time, and wait for a more polished Mental Slug 2 :D
The good point is that now they have the core done, so we just need to wait a year or two until they do a more decent game with it to invest 400 bucks :D

+1 supporting Demon Front its a great game, I just miss one could threw grenades or whatever like crazy lol would do the game smoother

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Huh....not sure what to think right now. On the one hand it does look tempting, but on the other it does seem a bit rough, visually. For now, at least.

Although I can"t wait for the Ikari style game I can't say I'm that disappointed that we're getting a Slug clone first. As long as it's fun to play, why not! :D

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Uhh, I think of techno and 10/10 club girls when it comes to Germany, Nazis not so much

Does anybody even say "kraut" anymore?