Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
The soundtrack's are always cool (especially if Rafael Dyll is composing for it), but I don't really care about the poster and other stuff. Not really sure why I went with the CE instead of the standard one. It's a good ploy for them though to have unique cover art because I'm sure there are some fanatics who bought all 4 AES versions. :rolleyes:

Flagshiphero

Crazed MVS Addict
Yeah though I don't really care about the extra goodies so much..I just prefer the artwork for the insert...primarily because of the woman in the thong. The regular edition just has 2 guys on the cover. Super gay.

This must be the reason I got the LE! I think...it's been 3 years :rolleyes::rolleyes:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Looks cool from the clips i saw, stage tunes are catchy. Crazy development cycle though, I'm willing to bet GTA 6 will be out before this.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Still more likely to be released than Paprium.

Paprium... What a debacle.. They recently posted about having issues with the specialty chip that is supposed to be used and have pushed back the game yet again to a September or October release.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm not gonna Front, I was pumped for Paprium. When I saw the Screen Shots I was impressed. A New Good Looking Beat'm Up on my favorite console was a No Brainer but after that last update I canceled my Pre-Order just like I canceled Kraut Buster. I even had Pre-Ordered the Paprium Arcade Stick with the game.

If the game turns out to be good maybe I'll buy a reprint or steam version. It is what it is.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I had an AES copy preordered but me and Mike canceled ours I guess over a year ago because I sold all my AES stuff. Thought I was done for good on Neo but now I've got back into MVS. So I'm definitely going to pick up a MVS copy if they offer again or second hand is fine. This game is going to be pretty badass love to hear the soundtrack by Rafael Dyll I'm sure it will be amazing.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I'm not gonna Front, I was pumped for Paprium. When I saw the Screen Shots I was impressed. A New Good Looking Beat'm Up on my favorite console was a No Brainer but after that last update I canceled my Pre-Order just like I canceled Kraut Buster. I even had Pre-Ordered the Paprium Arcade Stick with the game.

If the game turns out to be good maybe I'll buy a reprint or steam version. It is what it is.

Never heard of Paprium - looks fucking amazing...

Shame they are just fucking it all up for themselves though...

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Personally I don't believe the Paprium delays. First it was the PayPal payments issue - that could have been solved super easy since they are a company that sells games via Steam and XBOX live. One proper communication to PayPal and that could have been resolved easily. There was never a question that they aren't a genuine company selling products. Then this thing with the chip. I suspect, and I hope I am wrong, that its a money management issue and that's why they are delaying until later this year. I hope I am wrong and they don't go under.

EDIT: It could of course just be that Paprium isn't as complete as they've been making out. For one thing, if they were this close here, wouldn't they upload a nice video showing how complete it is? That would increase sales. I call bullshit on their latest postings.

EDIT2: Just for clarity - talking about Watermelon here - not NGDev =D

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Yeah NG:DEV will deliver, this game is just way more massive than anything they have ever done. I know that doesn't ease the minds of those that paid for this long ago. If anybody has read through any of their previous release threads you knew what you were getting into from the start with this one. Gunlord was the first I ordered from them it took forever to get it especially with that debacle with the snap cases but they did deliver.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I had an AES copy preordered but me and Mike canceled ours I guess over a year ago because I sold all my AES stuff. Thought I was done for good on Neo but now I've got back into MVS. So I'm definitely going to pick up a MVS copy if they offer again or second hand is fine. This game is going to be pretty badass love to hear the soundtrack by Rafael Dyll I'm sure it will be amazing.
Good luck buying an NGDev game second hand. You will pay double on ebay.

If it's your fav console, you won't buy it on Steam. :)

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Good luck buying an NGDev game second hand. You will pay double on ebay.

If they don't have another run of bare bones MVS I hope to score one on here second hand. I don't think it will be a problem to get this game like their other releases. Because they are making a ton of copies of K.B. and after everybody gets it and plays through it they will be several for sale on here you can bet.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Cool so there's potential for bare bones carts? I'd be completely fine with this, I don't need a kit or any additional materials. As for Paprium, even with all of the bullshit delays, I still hold out hope for a release.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Cool so there's potential for bare bones carts? I'd be completely fine with this, I don't need a kit or any additional materials. As for Paprium, even with all of the bullshit delays, I still hold out hope for a release.

I'm OK with waiting for KB, because I am pretty confident that NGDev will deliver the game, and it will be a nice game (even if not on par with Metal Slug), however for whatever reason, I did not get that confidence with WaterMelon, so I asked for a refund on my Paprium preorder. I already got it, BTW (it took like 4 days). I have the money reserved to get it if it ever sees the light of day. Maybe it's the quality of the updates that NGDev posts, that seem to give more information (and be less scarce) than the ones given by WM what gives me confidence in one company but not the other. The fact that many ex-employees of WM have posted that they (WM) are havving difficulties, and did not pay employees, does not help either.

Last edited:

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I'm OK with waiting for KB, because I am pretty confident that NGDev will deliver the game, and it will be a nice game (even if not on par with Metal Slug), however for whatever reason, I did not get that confidence with WaterMelon, so I asked for a refund on my Paprium preorder. I already got it, BTW (it took like 4 days). I have the money reserved to get it if it ever sees the light of day. Maybe it's the quality of the updates that NGDev posts, that seem to give more information (and be less scarce) than the ones given by WM what gives me confidence in one company but not the other. The fact that many ex-employees of WM have posted that they (WM) are havving difficulties, and did not pay employees, does not help either.

Agreed.. NG Dev team is a far superior company to Water Melon games, NG Dev have produced more games and are much more transparent with their updates. More importantly they seem to be managed far better than Watermelon is. The head of WM "Fonzie" seems to be a talented programer but a terrible manager.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I think for their next game NGDEV should port Streets of Rage2 to the Neo except they should change the characters to Mai, Rick Strowd, Tizoc and Zantetsu.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
May newsletter:

[NGDEV] Kraut Buster Status May 2018

Dear customers,

you are receiving this newsletter email because you subscribed voluntary to our newsletter in the past.
To be removed from this newsletter use this link or reply with unsubscribe in the subject:
https://www.ngdevdirect.com/account_newsletters.php
Due to a change of EU law we updated our privacy statement: https://www.ngdevdirect.com/privacy.php
We also removed some unnecessary data from our database like your telephone number.

** Kraut Buster Status **

* Current status and schedule *

You can see a first look of the newly added character Valeria here:
http://www.kraut-buster.com/img/screens/valeria_1_840wx.jpg
Btw. her hair color is configurable if the color is too extreme for your liking.

The base game is already fully done for a while. We are in the final phase of polishing and detailing.
We can finally see the ends of our to do lists.

Finishing up takes now again about 6-8 weeks.
We will order the MVS PCBs in early June to be ready for an end of July release. Of course beta testing can add 1-2 weeks if unexpected issues come up there. But we will have anything in stock in end of July to be ready at any time.

Reasons why it takes longer again:

General difficulty to estimate time of pixel art.
Art is not a linear process you can calculate by the pixel count and frame count. It heavily depends on style, quality and specific tasks.

Just some examples of many:

As parallax scrolling fells so much better we decided to add it to stage 4-1 too, maybe even 4-2 (both weren't planned before)
Stage 4-2 get small new background animations like sailors on the war ships/dock workers

Boss 1-2 animation needed reworking. It was the oldest boss in the game and not up to standards anymore

Another unplanned task was to give the grunt soldier different personalities. They were a little bit boring.
Randomly picked they get 1 of 4 personalities assigned. Each personality has it's own walk/idle and shoot face animations.
Personalities: stoic / angry / psycho / cold blooded killer

New hardware PCB + programmer add-ons

We created a complete new hardware generation of our PCBs (v2.0 3rd generation).
We switched to a completely different MCU and to a more modern and powerful FPGA as the old ones will be discontinued in the future and/or are getting more difficult and expensive to get a hold off.
Also our production chain/dev kits and cartridge programmers needed an hardware upgrade. All this was more complicated than anticipated and added several weeks too.

Getting GDPR compliant

Current to do list:

Graphics:

Cleanup of intro/ending
Parallax scrolling for mission 4-1/4-2 (nearly done)
Stage win animation for each character
Little things for menus.
Adding small things like small animals to the stages.
Adding animated stuff to the map screen.

Coding:
Menus
Intro/Ending
Hiscore screens
WLAN/wireless

Music:

Finishing up the music.
The intro music is currently missing.

Some sound fx and voice work.

Btw. the shockbox insert of the MVS version will change to the same design we use for the AES CE.
The artworks we used back then belonged to another project and they will return to their original (back then frozen) project.
The Kraut Buster AES regular will get an update of the insert too. The 3rd character (Valeria) will be added on the front cover.

We will show the respective insert shortly before shipping starts.

-----------

Fast Striker AES (reprint) is still scheduled for autumn 2018.

Best regards,
NGDEV

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think these ngdev homebrews are sacrelege but putting that aside honest question: why does the title include Japanese writing if this game is wholly produced in Europe?
Also what is the appeal to buyers and would be players that this game and the past releases are so strongly reminiscent of other games that they vere towards rip-off territory? Not trolling, just wanting a serious response. So much time and effort put into a game that emulates a perfectly realised game series of yesretyeay.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Japanese Neo fans are a significant part of their customer base. Including the Japanese text makes it searchable in Japanese.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Japanese Neo fans are a significant part of their customer base. Including the Japanese text makes it searchable in Japanese.

I would be inclined to believe it's more to do with them trying to come off as authentic somehow. Crass

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I would be inclined to believe it's more to do with them trying to come off as authentic somehow. Crass

Don't like the games? Don't buy them. Why waste time discussing a company with games you think are shitty ripoffs?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Don't like the games? Don't buy them. Why waste time discussing a company with games you think are shitty ripoffs?

Fair enough. To some degree I was trying to engage older neo geo players in discussing what is so appealing about ngdev games, but I'm sure it's something that has been talked about at length in the past. I don't know why an obviously talented outfit such as ngdev would go out of their way to make something so blatantly similar to Metal Slug. But you do have a point, these threads are not directed at me but rather those actually interested in the wares. Apologies

Last edited: