Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

fluxcore

Another Striker
I like the part where the enemies just stand around on the left hand side of the screen doing nothing for about 7 seconds.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Trying to make a Metal Slug clone on it's home console is a bit much. Metal Slug in its prime was top tier sprite work. You would see things getting damaged more and more with parts flying off, shit cracking in half just a massive display of the Neos sprite engine, and then we see that trailer.

It's still early but I would have been more impressed with a 20 second clip displaying the Metal Slug standard for sprite work.

Bonga7

Zero's Secretary
Btw,what's with the super floaty jumps? :keke:

Yeah, the jumping mechanic is a turn off. What if they purposely made it "floaty" so you can avoid enemy fire? Would have been awesome if they added a jet pack to the player so when you do change direction mid air and float the jet pack would fire up; at least then jump look more realistic.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
What do you guys think of the title? When I saw the title of this thread (where I got the news first) I thought it was actually a joke. I'm not really the politically correct type but I think that it's a little bit off.

Imagine someone came out with a Vietnam war game and called it Charlie Bomber or Slope Blaster or something. :lolz: I know the guys a German themselves but still.
Meh, honestly I don't believe many people identify as a "Kraut" over here... It seems to me "Kraut" has more or less become a synonym for "Nazisoldier". That whole part of history (1933-1945) is also pretty much externalized as something alien in nowadays German zeitgeist.

Besides over the top WWII stuff seems to be developing into it's own genre (maybe because the equation "Nazi=ultimate evil" works so well for pop culture) and almost nobody takes offense in that. There also was only very little negative response to Inglourious Basterds for example and it mostly came from unsympathetic people for the wrong reasons.

A "Charlie Bomber" game would be different, because Vietnam was a different war (fought with different means) and I would classify the term "Charlie" (or "Gook") as racist, while "Kraut" is not.

Last edited:

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The game looks "okay" but as alot people already wrote, nothing new really.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Meh, honestly I don't believe many people identify as a "Kraut" over here... It seems to me "Kraut" has more or less become a synonym for "Nazisoldier". That whole part of history (1933-1945) is also pretty much externalized as something alien in nowadays German zeitgeist.

Besides over the top WWII stuff seems to be developing into it's own genre (maybe because the equation "Nazi=ultimate evil" works so well for pop culture) and almost nobody takes offense in that. There also was only very little negative response to Inglourious Basterds for example and it mostly came from unsympathetic people for the wrong reasons.

A "Charlie Bomber" game would be different, because Vietnam was a different war (fought with different means) and I would classify the term "Charlie" (or "Gook") as racist, while "Kraut" is not.

Im like you, i don't give a shit but i can honestly say if i call a German person a kraut i would be doing it as an insult and if someone heard me say it here they would think it is an insult too and not an innocent throw back to Nazi Germany.

Aussies are pretty loose with racial terms as you have probably noticed dealing with us online but even i found using kraut in the title strange. maybe see what the Murcans think, they lose thier shit over everything when it comes to racial slurs.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Im like you, i don't give a shit but i can honestly say if i call a German person a kraut i would be doing it as an insult and if someone heard me say it here they would think it is an insult too and not an innocent throw back to Nazi Germany.
sure, but different situation. You would be calling someone a Kraut (or part of the Wehrmacht or something), who doesn't identify as a Kraut (in bad spirit). Therefore derogatory. Germans can rest assured that most of the world doesn't still view them as Nazis or Krauts (which they aren't), so they won't take offense in a game of which the title translates to "Nazi Killer".

I hope you get what I mean.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Isn't NGDEV German?
The rest of the world seems to be obsessed with WWII. I too don't think it was a good idea. They should have talked to us before wasting too much time on a game like this.

I for one would have liked a good pinball game with good graphics like in Knight's Chance. Something like Last Odyssey, Metroid Prime Pinball or Pinball of the Dead. The mentioned Tennis game could have been fun, too. Especially with the 4 player adapter and big, fun sprites like in Super Dodge Ball. Or maybe even a licensed port of the new River City Ransom.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
This is where i'm at.

I don't love the idea of downloading bug fixes via USB, but...if there are improvements between now and AES release, it's something I might get behind. I think they should have shown the video to a focus group first - you don't want the entire internet to be your focus group.

That group could have told them the jumping looks way too floaty, the death sounds are horrid, and to highlight the bits that are vastly different from MS. This was probably the worst possible video to market this game, but...i'm glad they are making games and i'll hold out hope they turn this one around. I really do like the idea of the chain-based scoring in a run 'n gun.

This, they should have shown to a test group first.Trying to outdo a Slug or be just is good would be a task that would make any programmer loose sleep. They are good at listening to peoples feedback though. So maybe they can get more thing right to please enough, i think thats where they will remain with this release.

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
In my opinion the background art look fantastic and the sprite art is also great, not 100% Metal Slug quality but quite close.
I like the details like the scarecrow in the background or the different death animations of the soldiers. The tanks and
vehicles look bad-ass and well animated. (But the explosion animations should have much more frames - it would improve the overall look.)

I can't understand all the hate about it - I am happy that a new promising game will be available on a game system which is dead since over 10 years.
If you try to not compare the game directly to Metal Slug, you will see that it is a great looking game with its own charme.
Just my two cents ...

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
What do you guys think of the title? When I saw the title of this thread (where I got the news first) I thought it was actually a joke. I'm not really the politically correct type but I think that it's a little bit off.

Imagine someone came out with a Vietnam war game and called it Charlie Bomber or Slope Blaster or something. :lolz: I know the guys a German themselves but still.

Yes, I thought the same thing. If the author is OK with it (hes German isn't he?) then I guess it's OK, but I would have gone for something a bit more neutral. Far too easy to offend people these days.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Having obsessively watched the video several times now I've come to the following conclusions:-
1) Floating after a jump (with or without the chicks) seems over the top. There doesn't appear to be enough gravity - at the moment it seems linear fall speed and linear jump speed.
2) The character runs too fast - give an ice skating / sliding feel to forward movement.
3) Cars sliding off screen when hit by that tank don't look quite right.
4) Tanks squishing down in height when exploding just looks daft imo.
5) When those parachuting soldiers get damaged chutes, they float down at the same speed and angle as the soldiers with good chutes?

I would suggest that if they are going for a MS clone, they spend more time looking at how Metal Slug addresses those issues. Nothing will ever beat MS imo, but this genre is welcome to me if they can make the game play tighter. Some of the animations feel a bit stiff as well.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
b0EQVGV.png

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This is a much better Metal Slug clone and only costs $20:

Seriously, save your money and don't encourage shit games.

Loved it. Supossedly a GBA game to begin with but I have it for the NDS though, really cool game for sure.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Having obsessively watched the video several times now I've come to the following conclusions:-
1) Floating after a jump (with or without the chicks) seems over the top. There doesn't appear to be enough gravity - at the moment it seems linear fall speed and linear jump speed.
2) The character runs too fast - give an ice skating / sliding feel to forward movement.
3) Cars sliding off screen when hit by that tank don't look quite right.
4) Tanks squishing down in height when exploding just looks daft imo.
5) When those parachuting soldiers get damaged chutes, they float down at the same speed and angle as the soldiers with good chutes?

I would suggest that if they are going for a MS clone, they spend more time looking at how Metal Slug addresses those issues. Nothing will ever beat MS imo, but this genre is welcome to me if they can make the game play tighter. Some of the animations feel a bit stiff as well.

There does look to be some tweaking needed in relation to game physics (gravity). The crate at 42 to 50 in the video could be placed a little better (a few pixels higher up the screen) so other sprites interact with it better. One soldier runs in front of it another behind and the tank looks to run over it without damaging it. Some sprite animations could stick to the backgrounds better. It is still early though and I'm quite sure these things will be addressed.

A couple of things that jumped out to me after watching the video.

1) Only allow floating jump while firing downwards.
2) That buckerooing cow needs a soldier riding it :)
3) The boss text at 1:06 may look better appearing over the boss and not behind it?

Getting the feel right on a game using this prospective is really important and people sometimes just don't appreciate how hard that is , trying to give a slight depth feel to a game while being 2D is hard. When things are slightly off it gets exaggerated, so everything needs to be perfect, everything needs to be drawn in the prospective your trying to achieve and movement needs to reflect that also.

Taking that in mind I have to say its a great first effort as none of their other games attempt what's being done here. I have to salute NGD.

Last edited:

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member

Reconfirmation that Neo collectors are morons. A shitty super low rent MS clone on the system that already has 4 stellar MS games? Fucking retarded.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It was a unique take.

It was unique, indeed, because, to all intents and purposes, it was a home computer game done on an full bird arcade machine, it works as a single gesture, nothing more...

...see Duchamps. You take a urinal into an art gallery for the first time and you'll get yourself a Fountain, a unique item & approach. Do it for the second time though, and you'll only get... a urinal in an art gallery out of it, more or less an embarrassment. That said, Gun Lord II is - arguably, I admit - not an option.

But back to the topic... one way or the other, Tim&René games were always rip-offs of some sort. Last Hope was Last Resort, Gun Lord was Turrican, First Striker was your standard Danmaku affair and the late Razion was Dux. Nothing new on the Hanoverian front, so far, if we skip Neo Zaikusus' tate option.

The real problem is, that their games lack character, best manifested in the uninspired chara-designs. Take one look on MS2, for example. There are no gameplay distinctions between our fab four, yet, there's so much personality to them, that playing Marco is totally different than shooting' your way through with Tarma, Eri or Fio. Gameplay-wise an illusion, regarding the gaming experience though... simply a masterstroke.

So, please, throw away those sore tongue-in-cheek satire elements and, on the other hand, stop throwing those shallow pseudo-animé babes at us. Puberty is over... do some brainstorming and create some chara-designs with heart, soul & smartness to them. Humorous, not hilarious... emotional, not stereotypical.

It's doable ;).