Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Noticed on the new trailer when you shoot enemy soldier his helmet rolls off and has a bullet hole in the helmet. When they get the mechanics just right and little shit like that with the details will make this game tops. Their best sprite work to date, the back grounds are just beautiful. Do need the scrolling though and the backgrounds will be sweet.

Last edited:

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
I see the preorders are closed again, glad I bit the bullet and went for this one, I'm really hopeful it'll be great. That's not to say they won't open the orders up again of course!

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
I see the preorders are closed again, glad I bit the bullet and went for this one, I'm really hopeful it'll be great. That's not to say they won't open the orders up again of course!

yeah. i was going to post this the other day. they closed orders again today.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Noticed on the new trailer when you shoot enemy soldier his helmet rolls off and has a bullet hole in the helmet. When they get the mechanics just right and little shit like that with the details will make this game tops. Their best sprite work to date, the back grounds are just beautiful. Do need the scrolling though and the backgrounds will be sweet.

I noticed that also, but I also noticed that some backgrounds look a bit static with lights not blinking or moving, and I hope they do something about it so it does not seem so stale when moving through the game. I hope they bring more of a depth to the game so the backgrounds don't seem so 2 dimensional. The backgrounds in Metal Slug on Stage 1 are a perfect example of constant 3 Dimensional depth. It seem to go on and on as you walk through that stage, and I just don't see that very much in KB. If they just put forth a bit more work on the things that don't move and give them some movement, the bg wont seem to just sit there as much. Like if you shoot up and hit the lights, and have them bust and pop, with glass particles falling down, and the lights go dark, that alone would make the backgrounds at least come to life a bit. Metal Slug had this kind of detail through the entire game, so even the few spots that felt static, still had some life in them.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Good point, Dev's backgrounds often lack plasticity and depth. Pre-rendered 3D animation shouldn't count here -- it's so cold and boring compared to hand drawn. But this is where talent begins and tech wizardry ends and we can't have it all, I guess.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
The backgrounds in Metal Slug on Stage 1 are a perfect example of constant 3 Dimensional depth. It seem to go on and on as you walk through that stage, and I just don't see that very much in KB. [...] Metal Slug had this kind of detail through the entire game, so even the few spots that felt static, still had some life in them.
this might just be the biggest enemy of KB: The constant comparison to the MS series... can't really win.

Fakk2

this might just be the biggest enemy of KB: The constant comparison to the MS series... can't really win.

Well, the thing is this, NGDT did say that "KB is NOT Metal Slug", however, it can be looked at as somewhat a spiritual successor, or similar, and if NGDT try hard to take other peoples constructive criticism's about the game and try to change the game here and there to jazz it up, then it will only make the game that much better. Comparing the game to Metal Slug is not a bad thing at all, in fact I recall when Timm told everyone that their goal was to become the next great NAZCA like team for the Neo-Geo platform, and so letting them know what they lack will only help make them stronger IMO, especially since the Slug games were the best looking, most detailed sprite based games on the Neo-Geo. At least this is what I really do believe, and since this game looks and feels much like a Slug game, why not let them know what the game lacks in detail, especially since they said that this game is "possibly THE biggest pixel based game that they will ever make, and this WILL BE the most detailed game they will make as well, and they might never do this again due to how long it is taking to put all that detail in the game", so lets help them to do it right. :)

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

Indeed. Anyone who expects a small team like NGDev to match the output of Nazca during the Neo's heyday has unfairly high expectations.

Fakk2

Indeed. Anyone who expects a small team like NGDev to match the output of Nazca during the Neo's heyday has unfairly high expectations.

Well, then I guess the vast MAJORITY of NeoGeo owners, including the NGDevTeam themselves, have "unfairly high expectations". :P

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Morally, yes. Monetary tho, it's their biggest asset. As was the Turrican/GunLord comparison. Can't say they didn't learn their lesson.

xsq

Morally, yes. Monetary tho, it's their biggest asset. As was the Turrican/GunLord comparison. Can't say they didn't learn their lesson.
So what you're saying is that KB/GL will sell/sold better because they are "close" to MS/Turr?
If they do/did, I'd speculate it's because of their genre(s) - shmups might not have as much of a wide appeal as run'n'gun...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So what you're saying is that KB/GL will sell/sold better because they are "close" to MS/Turr?
If they do/did, I'd speculate it's because of their genre(s) - shmups might not have as much of a wide appeal as run'n'gun...

So ur saying, it won't? Hmm... using those milestones brings them on the map in the first place and your suggestion would only apply for those, who exclusively own a Neo and nothing else... c'mon, nobody is.

Leaving aside the fact that shoot'em-ups are zeitgeist's most appealing genre, it's apparent how they use big names for their cloned tributes as a complimentary propaganda. Nothing wrong with that, but we really needn't be delusional about it...

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
Programming-wise they seem to be a lot better 68k coders than what most (all?) neo teams accomplished. The clusterfuck slideshow that is MS2 compared to the buttersmooth krautbuster says enough. They hired some good pixel artists too; however putting that together doesn't guarantee a good or fun game. For 400 i'm certainly not pre-ordering but i'm curious how it turns out and wish them the best with the rest of the development!

Dr.NeoGeo

Mr. Big's Thug
20 Year Member

As I said often. I don't understand why NGDev always copy games 1:1 except some little changes. I mean why they use exactly the same setting as MS does. Why they don't made for example a space, feudal japan or cowboy/western setting for the game?? Same with Gunlord. The weapons, characters, areas were nearly the same as in Turrican. That's the reason why I stopped to support them. TBH I don't need any bad copies of "all time classics".

xsq

maybe they're still in that early phase you see with aspiring amateur bands... they cover others to learn the skills/structure before they invent their own stuff... but nah, dis just 4 da money.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
but nah, dis just 4 da money.

Amen. Pertains the Neo Geo in general.

Anyway, some individuality in some aspects would be a nice touch for the NG.Dev Games... and sometimes it would be so easy. I still get the creeps when thinking of the ultra dull story line and non-existant outro for Neo XYX. This really could have been a very great title with a little more polishment. So I hope that Kraut Busters will get some more love for those "minor matters" that made SNK games so great.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Amen. Pertains the Neo Geo in general.

I tend to agree here. Their great achievement is not money, but the way they make some. They found a niche and work for themselves, not an anonymous conglomerate. They are on the highest level of independent coding... and below-average if compared with back-in-the-day SNK professionals.

Yet, this is their own statement that they'll leave, which I happen to dispute and honor at the same time.

Battlesmurf

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm going to try to look at this without thinking about Metal Slug and enjoy it for what it is. The way NGDEV handles stuff is interesting, though. I pretty much just walk to the mailbox one day and there's the stuff. My only concern is that they lose interest or something happens after a pre-order and they disappear into the void.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I don't think NGDev will disappear into the void. They have made a bunch of games for several platforms and they seem to keep producing new runs of their previous games. It does feel like they will get the job done.

The developer WaterMelon has gone radio silent for their 2nd games (Project Y). And although I'm still keeping faith that scenario is concerning.