Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I saw the video earlier, my expectations was high with the promise of a none shooter being released this year...

Straightaway I was disappointed with the small character sprites and the fact that it looked like a crap version of Metal Slug.

I don't know what's happening here, Watermelon are making a game for the Mega Drive that looks like it should be on the Neo Geo and NGDEVTEAM are making a game that looks like it should be on the Mega Drive.

On the plus side the backgrounds look good and it is early stages of development.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Reason #982,645 why the neo scene is so laughable. I couldn’t even finish watching the trailer.

It’s also ignorant to think that guys who can barely make a playable shmup would be more capable at making a beat-em-up, RPG(LMAO), or any other game for that matter. I guess it’s possible, however unlikely :scratch:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
:oh_no: the real shame is, after this one flops they will be back to making another shooter because those worked. As things stand right now I'm not even going to get a DC version of this.

Gunlord II would've been so much better. (Even a run&gun close to MS with a Gunlord theme would've been nicer than this.)

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I don't know where you guys are coming from but Gunlord was more or less a clone of turrican...

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I don't know where you guys are coming from but Gunlord was more or less a clone of turrican...

Yep, but it had personality, and the sprite work was different (better?) and more likable than the one seen in hte new game. This new game is exactly like Metal Slug, only watered down. I hope, however, the game sells well, because that would encourage NGDev to make more games, and they seem to be responsive to suggestions (this new game inserts coins with select and interacts better with UniBIOS, yay!).

Regards.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!

That's true, you can't deny that. The only difference is that there wasn't any Turrican type games on the Neo before Gunlord. Gunlord was the type of game the Neo library was lacking.

The Neo has this Kraut game already...many times over....and many times better.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I was really excited when I got the email and read the description, then I watched the video and saw a Metal Slug clone. I mean, I'd love something new in the same genre, but this is a really blatant clone from what I've seen so far. Oh well, I'll enjoy the DC port if they make one.

This is exactly what I thought when I saw the video.
Even if the game was unique and rocked I still don't know if I'd drop $600 on a single game.
I would consider a Dreamcast version if one comes out.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
what aha said. It was a unique take. This new game has nothing of that.

But I might also be a sucker for Turrican I guess...

Giga_Power32bit

Armored Scrum Object
This looks like a flash game or a down port that's would appear as if it came off some pirate Russian megadrive cartridge. This doe's not look like it's worth a $500+ release on MVS!!!

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The game looks decent, but looks too much like metal slug. and that jump...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's certainly ambitious.
I'll be more likely to pick this up when ported to the Dreamcast.

Yall are a bunch of shitty kids tho. It's clearly not as good as metal slug. You don't need to point out the obvious.

Uberarcade

n00b
I think it looks alright. For a new game made for the Neo Geo by a really small team it is great. Way more impressive than a gambling game or another shooter in my opinion. At least they are trying to make a different game. I agree that it is bad to make it look just like Metal Slug though. That just doesn't make sense. Given the amount of feedback they have gotten I wonder if they will change the direction of this game. There are other themes you can do with run and gun. They also have the rest of the year to work on it so maybe they can bring the quality up. I am on the fence about getting it. At least the Euro is way down so it would be less than I spent on their other games.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
you shut your mouth!

For real! Knight's Chance was a revelation. It's one of the best games to put in when people come over. Multiplayer would've really put it over the top, though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thankfully its not, look up a couple posts, they posted something about ikari on FB.

Ah, good to know. I thought they were starting to head in the wrong direction, nice to know that they didn't lie about it being Ikari style.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think it looks alright. For a new game made for the Neo Geo by a really small team it is great. Way more impressive than a gambling game or another shooter in my opinion. At least they are trying to make a different game. I agree that it is bad to make it look just like Metal Slug though. That just doesn't make sense. Given the amount of feedback they have gotten I wonder if they will change the direction of this game. There are other themes you can do with run and gun. They also have the rest of the year to work on it so maybe they can bring the quality up. I am on the fence about getting it. At least the Euro is way down so it would be less than I spent on their other games.

Compare the pixel art and music to Knight's Chance. I think we did an excellent job on KC and I think it presents itself as a truer Neo title than this clone. If you can't see that then GTFO.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I saw the video earlier, my expectations was high with the promise of a none shooter being released this year...

Straightaway I was disappointed with the small character sprites and the fact that it looked like a crap version of Metal Slug.

I don't know what's happening here, Watermelon are making a game for the Mega Drive that looks like it should be on the Neo Geo and NGDEVTEAM are making a game that looks like it should be on the Mega Drive.

On the plus side the backgrounds look good and it is early stages of development.

Link to said Watermelon game?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The big problem comes from this being a Metal Slug clone. Sure, that's been done before, but this is a pretty on the nose clone, unlike Demon Front or something like Dolphin Blue which sort of put their own spin on things.

As a MS clone it's got the first hurdle to clear, being compared to six other Metal Slug games on the console. Even the later entries in the series on the Neo were completely shit on here, even though I think MS4 and MS5 are still decent enough games in their own right. Let's face it, the floaty movement, the wonky animation, and the art style of Kraut Buster simply put this in a tier well below the Metal Slug series that it's aping.

Had NG Dev gone for something closer to Cyber Lip, then I think they'd have a lot more ground to play with and a lot more forgiveness in the art-style department. Simple fact, we have plenty of actual Slug games on the system. This is not something the majority are going to want in their collection, and it is only going to be appealing to the collector gotta-catch-em-all types. That's all fine and good, but this will likely be one of the worst selling NG Dev releases for that fact... and probably the most expensive of their catalog down the road simply because nobody bought it ;) If that's why you buy games, then have at it... but I really can't see myself playing this one.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I am not expecting ngdev to match or surpass the likes of metal slug or shock troopers. Considering the size of the team I don't have an issue with the quality of the art but I am let down with the complete lack of originality as many others have stated. They have made enough games at this point coming up with some unique concept art and storyboards shouldnt be that daunting. Hire an art director for the next project maybe.