Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I contacted them last night, here is their reply:

"we removed the video as we are heavily reworking the game due to feedback.

Due to the feedback all related projects are stopped for now. It's not a
good idea for us to create games that will be compared to holy grail
Neogeo games. We can't win that comparison.

We are rethinking our other projects too.

If we reboot the top down soldier game, it would be placed in a SCIFI
setting or something else that won't be compared to Shock Troopers."

Good news for sure they want to make it a great game. So I would expect the next video might be a good while though to be pretty sweet.

Good on them for listening to the feedback. I'm expecting to see something pretty amazing for their next update.

I assume everyone who contributed to the pre-order 'record' will have an opportunity to back out given that they are changing the game. LOL, that statement really seems like a bunch of BS now.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Good on them for listening to the feedback. I'm expecting to see something pretty amazing for their next update.

I assume everyone who contributed to the pre-order 'record' will have an opportunity to back out given that they are changing the game. LOL, that statement really seems like a bunch of BS now.

I really think they were telling the truth on the preorders. Even with all the negative feedback and very early footage I did see a lot of positive feedback also despite all bashing. I think with this news of the complete retool it will probably keep selling. Mainly because people will know that they are going to roll their sleeves up now and get serious with it.

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I really think they were telling the truth on the preorders. Even with all the negative feedback and very early footage I did see a lot of positive feedback also despite all bashing. I think with this news of the complete retool it will probably keep selling. Mainly because people will know that they are going to roll their sleeves up now and get serious with it.

It's certainly good news and I haven't closed the book on this game entirely. I really hope they get creative and produce something more unique. I'll be on board for that.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
I amend my earlier comment to they are now slightly less retarded since apparently when common sense is slapped across their faces, they have some capacity to comprehend what just happened.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
It's good to see they are listening at least, I definitely don't want them to get discouraged and stop making neo games.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Now I am happier that I preordered the LE one. I trust they will make a very good job with this game, but if it doesn't like me for any reason, it can always be resold. It's not like I forgot what I paid for it.

Regards.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I contacted them last night, here is their reply:

"we removed the video as we are heavily reworking the game due to feedback.

Due to the feedback all related projects are stopped for now. It's not a
good idea for us to create games that will be compared to holy grail
Neogeo games. We can't win that comparison.

We are rethinking our other projects too.

If we reboot the top down soldier game, it would be placed in a SCIFI
setting or something else that won't be compared to Shock Troopers."

Good news for sure they want to make it a great game. So I would expect the next video might be a good while though to be pretty sweet.

I know this wasn't a public response, but it is still impressive that they heard the concerns many people had with this project and really got it. This is great news, and I look forward to see how this game develops now.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
so, there's hope yet - go go NGDEV!

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Yeah, I'm actually shocked (in a good way) at their response to the feedback. Kudos to them. Now I'm actually excited to see what they come up with, given what sounds like the most development resources they've had in their history. Incoming "Probotector Zero!" J/K.
-ud

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Just talked w/ Timm again, his reply below will clarify exactly what going on as of now with the game guys.

QUOTE:

"We are not completely retooling the game. The game is in making for 2 years now (mostly graphics, coding just began a few month ago).
We have changed the jumping physics and will adapt most graphics to look more like expected color wise/reducing comic outlines.

We will also add more crazy stuff like robots/mutants/super natural enemies. More interesting weapons/fights etc. The music gets changed too. The vision of a WW2 game that takes place in Europe 193x will stay mostly intact though. We can't make it suddenly a complete SCIFI/fantasy game.

Regarding the MVS LE sales record that's true. It just means it's selling faster then past games. But as this game cost a lot more to make than last games that's not enough. Thus we need to adapt for future games.

EU forums people see it a lot more positive. Not sure if the style is too EURO or something for you guys? The project is programming/design wise still rather early so we can still incorporate a lot of *constructive* feedback.

We are thinking about creating from now on rather a series of small videos, instead of a big trailer. It's better feedback wise.

NG:DEV Team"

Just give them time guys, they have always put out top notch games for us. This game will be no exception I'm sure.

Last edited:

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
The Scifi setting for their top down game sounds great. I'm looking forward to seeing what this game looks like when they show it again.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
I stand corrected; they are complete retards.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
I stand corrected; they are complete retards.
Yeah, the second response nullifies the first (quite promising) one. First they say "It's not a good idea for us to create games that will be compared to holy grail Neogeo games. We can't win that comparison," now they say "We are not completely retooling the game."

I'm back to not caring about this project.
-ud

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Yeah, the second response nullifies the first (quite promising) one. First they say "It's not a good idea for us to create games that will be compared to holy grail Neogeo games. We can't win that comparison," now they say "We are not completely retooling the game."

I'm back to not caring about this project.
-ud

I think they mean that they realized it's a bad idea in general to ape Neo grail games, and they will change course on the top-down soldier game, which was apparently just going to be a Shock Troopers ripoff (d'oh!). However, they can't scrap or even alter the MS clone project much at this point since they're so heavily invested in it already.

I'm still on the fence about Kraut Buster, but I do like their idea of releasing shorter video teasers (hopefully earlier into development) so that they can more effectively handle feedback on future projects.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
It's great that NGDT are listening to feedback etc. Personally I trust them, there's time to correct the gravity, add new features and enemies and tidy up any artwork to make it look better. I think its great they are attempting this genre. Sure they excel at shmups but it is nice to see a different kind of game coming to the MVS. I also think there's room for another run and gun, Metal Slug might always have the crown there but who cares if the game is still good fun to play? If you apply the logic of why produce a MS clone when nothing is ever going to beat MS, then the same applies to other genres. eg. Nothing will ever top Fast Striker in my mind - so there goes shmups, and personally I think Mark of the Wolves and Real Bout Special are some of the best fighting games on the MVS, why ever produce another fighting game - it cannot compete? It's a mistake to try to rule out a genre just because the system already has what we consider the best game in that genre already. That said its fair to be constructive to try and help shape Kraut Busters into a worthy title and I am sure it will be by the time they are done.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
It may have been an unexpected shitstorm but I'm sure the game will benefit from it. Props to Timm for dealing with all this negativity and actually listening to us.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
It's a mistake to try to rule out a genre just because the system already has what we consider the best game in that genre already.

No one said they shouldnt make a run n gun. Its the lack of originality. No one wants a clone game, we already have 5 slug games on mvs and people bash the shit out of MS 4-6 as it is.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I still think their second statement is commendable, whether you worry it sounds like, "We promise to add Venus-people" or not. One truly impressive thing about this developer is the rate at which they can pump these games out - on this particular system - at the level of quality they are known to put together. On top of that they are going to make changes? That's impressive.

Their curiosity whether the title was too European for this forum's tastes is incorrect. GunLord/Turrican is absolutely a European flavor, but people greeted it well and enjoyed it after its release.

There's a line between being inspired and being derivative. Gameboy advance games can get away with being derivative of Neo Geo games. This is one luxury NGDevTeam doesn't have on a luxury system.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
No one said they shouldnt make a run n gun. Its the lack of originality. No one wants a clone game, we already have 5 slug games on mvs and people bash the shit out of MS 4-6 as it is.

completely agreed. Never had any problem with the genre choice, the aesthetic/style here is what bothered me from the get go.

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
J
We will also add more crazy stuff like robots/mutants/super natural enemies.

As someone who preordered on the WW2 premise, this actually pisses me off. I don't want that garbage, it's one of the things that turned me off Slug games.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
As someone who preordered on the WW2 premise, this actually pisses me off. I don't want that garbage, it's one of the things that turned me off Slug games.

That's what happens when there really isn't a game director with a proper vision for the game.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The problem is not that is a Metal Slug clone, fuck how many clones we freaking play day in and day out. The problem is the game doesn't look good, period.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
"Kraut Buster"? "Krautland"?

Maybe the top down side project will be called Jap Buster and take place in Slopeland.