Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
For a system so heavy on Fighters and less titles in other genres. Why would they even Dev something so similar to a Major IP of the System.

Perfect example:
perhaps they should have gone with a run and slash game (like Strider). Since their only competition on the system is Ganryu, they wouldn't have to work very hard :lolz:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
For a system so heavy on Fighters and less titles in other genres. Why would they even Dev something so similar to a Major IP of the System.

Perfect example:

A beat'em up would be great. They do have the talent to do it and the need is there (best one is Sengoku 2/3, and they are not that great). Also, another option to Ganryu (which is a good game IMHO) would be really nice.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hey guys. I just heard back from NGDev Team and they do plan to port it to another console!

ngage.jpg

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Wow, this looks like it'll be the first game of theirs that I will have to pass on. I had high hopes for this so I'm pretty disappointed. They really took the easy route instead to creating something original. Any Metal Slug is better than this. Even Demon Front on the PGM is leaps and bounds better. Sorry if they don't like their game being compared to MS but if you completely rip off the game that's what is going to happen.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I reckon it looks pretty good actually but the fact it is just a blatant Metal Slug clone is a big waste of time. If you just compare the graphics and animation to what they did with Gunlord this looks like a big leap forward.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Not very excited for this. I was anticipating buying my first NGDEV game this year, but this is a lackluster title, for sure.

If they were going to do a light, fun, and comical take on Metal Slug (a la the Parodius series), they should have went all out and done something like:

Petal Slug - flower-based run 'n gun game
Metal Bug - Metal Slug meets Starship Troopers
or my personal favorite, Mental Slug - an off-the-wall and difficult run n' gun with wacky characters, enemies, and level designs

pipes

I reckon it looks pretty good actually but the fact it is just a blatant Metal Slug clone is a big waste of time. If you just compare the graphics and animation to what they did with Gunlord this looks like a big leap forward.

This is true. If Metal Slug didn't exist I would be excited about this game. 400 or 450 Euro for an inferior clone is ridiculous.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent

If they put this type of effort into a Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, etc clone I would be there day 1. Even another game like Gunlord, which I think looks great already would have been awesome. Basically anything but a Metal Slug or KOF clone could have been done :O

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
If they put this type of effort into a Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, etc clone I would be there day 1. Even another game like Gunlord, which I think looks great already would have been awesome. Basically anything but a Metal Slug or KOF clone could have been done :O

Exactly, why a MS clone, we didnt need one, I would like to see a Shinobi ,Streets of Rage, Dungeon and Dragons, fuck it an rpg.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I'm torn.

My heart says this should be lots of fun, I've really enjoyed NGDEVs other releases. And I wasn't too excited by Razion when it was first announced. But it grew on me, and now that I have the game I love it. I might give em the benefit of the doubt and take a chance on the preorder.

My gut says Kraut Buster could be a real disappointment though. I'm playing through Demon Front on PGM right now, and even as good as it it, I still yearn for the superior Metal Slugs. Right now it looks like Kraut Buster is poised to be an excellent reminder there are better games out there. :/

Ukyo

20 Year Member
yeah, this seems like it was a bad call.

I thought for sure the IKARI game was next (i saw the comment on their facebook page, but fear this is just damage control). The skinning of KB is certainly a huge disappointment, especially after a game as unique looking as gunlord. Anything would have been better, something closer to CYBERLIP's styling could have been pretty sweet.

no doubt there is an incredible amount of work behind kraut buster. The art direction is weaker for sure, but some of the sprite work is highly detailed (despite lacking the "charm" of metal slug sprites). the mention of the streak based scoring sounds intriguing...

to be honest, I pre-ordered. but only because I have all their other kits, and I don't want one misstep to be the end these guys.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
From their Facebook:

A few call outs-

- 2 player support
- better UniBios support
- plastic cart shells
- doubled frame rate, 60fps (???)
- 2>X

Dear NEO GEO fans,

we are proud to present our new game "Kraut Buster"!
Kraut Buster is a 16 bit comical action run'n'gun shooting game for NEO GEO.

This game had so far our biggest staff and budget with 2 full time pixel artist, 1 freelancing pixel artists,1 coder/designer, 1 musician
A few years ago we wouldn't have thought we can do such a project, but we used the years to build up a very talented team for our company and we will continue to do so.

Kraut Buster is our first game with a 2 player simultaneous mode/CO-OP. Which is a lot of fun in this game.
The 2 player mode is fully integrated in our base engine and future games will take advantage of this where appropriate.

As there are already too many slugish games on NG, we doubled the framerate, infused Contra style gameplay into it and added some NGDEV flavors. It plays quite fresh compared to the known games.

Now enjoy the 1st tailer video and TV/CRT like screen shots: http://www.kraut-buster.com

The player in this video plays it very fast, but the game allows you to choose your own pace. May it be fast and furious or slow and methodical.
We tried to show the verticalness of the gameplay too. We added a lot of opportunities to fight the enemies on different height levels and you can take advantage of your surroundings.

You can pre-order it now for MVS at http://www.ngdevdirect.com

Thanks to the strong US Dollars and low EURO US customers save a lot of money this time. It's probably the best time ever to purchase one of our games.

We offer this time 3 MVS variants for the first time. The Gamer Edition is new and saves a little bit on both the game and shipping.

Like usual we started with MVS pre orders, within the next few month we add AES pre orders too.

As you know by now this is not the rumored "top-down soldier" project. Both projects are related though. Kraut Buster is the main franchise, the other will be a smaller spin off sharing characters.

In case you didn't read on Twitter or Facebook, we returned to use plastic shells. This time black ABS shells.

Sorry for the long text, but we are quite excited about this release

------- More About Kraut Buster ----------

Mission:

Europe, Krautland 1936

You are part of the glorious albeit infamous Kraut Buster corps.
Your goal is to defeat the evil dictator Dolph Edelwolf and rescue all chicks!

Play as either John "Küken" Mallone or Jack "Handsome" Rowdy.

Game Features (exact details are subject to change):

- several long stages with varied and changing settings
- 5-6 end bosses and several sub bosses
- 2 player simultaneous mode
- Chain based scoring system to provide a long term challenge
- multiple heights/ways platforming for more ways to play the game
- 3 "routes" / difficulties
- Arcade perfect playtime of approx. 35 minutes per run (normal route)
- Bloodpumping arcade soundtrack by Rafael Dyll
- 60fps / 60hz (runs 2x as smooth as similar games on the NG)

Graphics:

- Beautiful handcrafted true 16-bit pixel art

- large panoramic backgrounds with a lot of paralax elements

- big fully animated bosses

- tons of animation, little details and pixel love

Hardware Specs (MVS/AES cartridges):

Will use approximately 784 Megabits (exact megcount is TBD)
Full digitized stereo soundtrack
In-system software updates via USB port (MVS)
Custom made PCBs / Custom made cartridge shell

Improved UNI-BIOS/CMVS support: bootup logo and config menu is supported / insert credit via select button

Best regards,
NGDEV

Pre-order now at http://www.ngdevdirect.com

Official game page: http://www.kraut-buster.com

(C) by NG:DEV.TEAM http://www.ngdevteam.com

2>X

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I'm with the majority on this one. Really not interested in it. I can see they put a ton of work into it, but it just doesn't really hit the right notes for me.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Not a big fan of the character sprite work, hell even the tanks look meh. I know is not the filters 'cause those black lines aren't going away once the filter is removed. Everything looks washed out, cool to some I'm sure but not for me. Making to close to Metal Slug was a bad move 'cause of comparisons. I think you're right Ukyo a Cyber-Lip theme would have been awesome. Always wanted a sequel to that game even if it's unofficial.

Haven't seen you in ages, hope all is well Ukyo.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
It seems intereting, but I feel the designs of the characters and stages are too bland IMO. If they varied it up a bit maybe it'd be worthwhile.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I was hoping to see some of the chicks from the concept art...

pipes

I actually feel bad that I don't like it in a way for the simple reason that I know they must have put a lot of time and effort into it. It's a shame.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
This looks bad. Anyone that plops hundreds of dollars on this is a complete fool that needs psychiatric evaluation.

Now, I say the following gripes with knowledge that this is still in development, but they're really going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat with this one come release time.

The game is a complete rip-off of Metal Slug (duh).
The graphics range from sub-par to pretty good, but are inferior to any of the Metal Slugs. The characters on the screen stick out like a sore thumb compared to the backgrounds.
The motion and flow of the game is horrible. What's with the weird jumping animation and physics? The character looks like he's from an Action 52 game with the way he moves.
The sound effects range from awful (seriously, you're going to use the Wilhelm scream that freaking much?), to okay.
The music is hard to judge based off of it not being the actual PCM music, but the arrangement they use for it is pretty blah.

I think the idea of having a WWII era side scrolling shooter is pretty neat, but having it look and play so similar to Metal Slug wasn't the way to go.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I actually feel bad that I don't like it in a way for the simple reason that I know they must have put a lot of time and effort into it. It's a shame.

I don't think there's an excuse. What kind of professional developer looks at that and says; "Hey we're doing good here!" who?

I don't need it to be "better" than Metal Slug, something cool and original will do.

Gunlord was awesome, so far their best game I've played and even that has its share of letdowns but overall a great game nonetheless. Yes a Turrican Rip off but that's the reason I love it. Same could be about this game, yes a Metal Slug Rip Off, no problem there but Rip it right and you'll get my vote.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Wow! Great news! I know its early days (in dev etc) - I would hope they can get the character falling at a faster speed - it looks like you float too much at the moment. Other than that - Wow, this is looking great! I hope they can pull this off - they've got a great track record at shmups but this will be a challenge. Will certainly get this when it becomes available - provided they change the floaty falling and movement in the demo vid.

EDIT: I've pre-ordered anway.

Last edited:

Slugger

Marked Wolf
If the Ikari game is really going to be a Kraut Buster spinoff it makes me feel uncomfortable already. I really like NGDEVTEAM:s work but damn, out of all the choices available they do this.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
The character jumping is definitely off I really hope they fix that.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
This is a much better Metal Slug clone and only costs $20:

Seriously, save your money and don't encourage shit games.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
First off I can't shit on them for actually making something to run on the Neo platform in this day and age, that should be commended.
However, I can't help but feel something new and original should be done aside from shooters and run n gun. A castlevania or metroid style game immediately comes to mind.