Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Its lacking shadows on the ground as well (from char and enemies) - small details like that make a big difference.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The game will sell though, regarding the zeitgeist with it's recent retrogaming craze, that's for sure, but if they have the slightest ambition going on beyond ca$$h, they'll keep in mind what have been said in this thread and reconsider the concepts and character designs for their next games to come...

It's not only the retro thing that will help to sell the game, there also are a lot of people who gotta have them all and would even buy a downright stinker just to keep their collection complete. Kinda silly if you ask me but well, it's their money, not mine, so I don't really care.

ElectricGrave said:
I agree completely. The title isn't a problem at all. I feel the dreamcast releases were great and at a fair price, that's what they should have kept up with, NG releases at 399EU is just c'mon!

The fact that homebrew games get sold for almost the same (or even higher) prices of an original SNK release rubs me the wrong way to be honest. They may be great and I'm sure that a lot of work went into them but they're still homebrews for which I'm not ready to shell out like that.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
That Germanwings flight the other day ended up being a bit of a Kraut Buster eh?

Badum. Tish.

:eek:

....dude....! :shame:

Anyway, let me utter the seemingly unpopular opinion that I'm optimistic about the game. Sure it needs polish, and yeah, it can only lose when compared to "The Slug" itself. But at the end of the day, it may very well turn out to be pretty to look at, nice to listen to, and above all, a blast to play. Who knows. And if you ask me, I'll rather have six and a half "Metal Slugs" on Neo and Atomiswave than six, but that's just me. :)

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.

True.

I'm the last guy to take life too seriously, it's just....well, the plane crash is still quite recent, and if you know someone who lost someone it kind of hits close to home. But you're right....such is life.

Well, back to topic. Which was....busring krauts, I guess. :)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
My tax returns will remain safe, at least for now.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
That Germanwings flight the other day ended up being a bit of a Kraut Buster eh?

Badum. Tish.

Take your medication and shut the fuck off. 150 families and 3 newborn will be glad of it.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Up 'til now, I've enjoyed every video game NG:DEV.TEAM has brought to the market. Granted, not all of them have been groundbreaking and genre-defining titles. In fact, it's pretty easy to compare most of them to other, more popular franchises: Last Hope to R-Type, Gunlord to Turrican, RAZION to Dux, etc.

However, none of that takes away from the fact that, once again, I've enjoyed every video game NG:DEV.TEAM has brought to the market. Just like their previous releases, will their upcoming KRAUT BUSTER compare strongly to the Metal Slug franchise? Absolutely! That pattern's already been established. But, as long as they also continue their track record of releasing fun games for the SNK Neo•Geo AES, MVS, and Sega Dreamcast, I'll continue to be their customer.

PREORDERED! :)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Dux was also made by René Hellwig, so the similarity to Razion isn't that surprising.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Let just wait and see the next video they put up I am sure when that happens it will highlight changes.

One of the issues with homebrew games compared to what I would call an industry game is the lack of a project leader. It is a very undervalued position because the person in this position does not always have advanced programming, graphical or music skills of the group they are leading. They do understand however what should be possible and should process the ability to push people beyond their own perceived ability.

For a small homebrew setup this position is overlooked which should be understandable to most and thus then it falls mostly onto the lead programmer to fill that role and that can have negative unforeseen consequences which is no fault of the programmer.

I can give a perfect example of a way a project leader helps in relation to the USB PC-2-NEO project I have worked on with mikew. Once that was working it was slow, we knew it had to be faster. However once we were up to around 128k/s mike was very happy with that speed and why should he not be given the parallel version is around 3k/s. I however even with no hardware side experience knew there was more to be had from it and I nudged mike to look at ways to find more. In the end we got it to 260k/s with a standard transfer without RLE. This was not all achieved by changes on the USB hardware side only I must stress, I also had to put in the same effort as mike to get it there on the NeoGeo side. So my point is unless there is someone pushing for that extra mile then sometimes its never reached even though its potentially possible from those doing the work. That is what a good project leader does.

In the case of homebrew I would say its normally the voice of the user (you guys) which can act as a project leader in the ear of the lead programmer. I think it is clear NGD have listened and I would advise once a new video is released not to instantly compare it to metal slug again but compare it to their original video before giving suggests or changes.

Last edited:

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
In the case of homebrew I would say its normally the voice of the user (you guys) which can act as a project leader in the ear of the lead programmer. I think it is clear NGD have listened ....

Agree with all your post, but the way for them to know what potential customers think should be more fast. To name a small detail, by now everyone complain about that fake cow, probably made in 3d. How many hours would have they spent on that stuff and people hate it? If we would have known that, they would have saved time and efforts. I agree that's near impossible since everyone have a different oppinion but I'm pretty sure they could find a balance between asking us for every detail and simply throwing videos every 3 months and "that's what we have already done".

Some kind of poll "hey guys, vote at this cow" or "vote at this concept of nazis that become mythology creatures", every week or so. Maybe just letting people chose 2 or 3 guided options to avoid a mess of game. Just a thought.

All that suggestion have sense only if they would keep working without a project leader, of course.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Some kind of poll "hey guys, vote at this cow" or "vote at this concept of nazis that become mythology creatures", every week or so. Maybe just letting people chose 2 or 3 guided options to avoid a mess of game. Just a thought.

All that suggestion have sense only if they would keep working without a project leader, of course.

I think much of the surprise factor (which is important to me when playing a new game) would be lost if they did this. Maybe that's the reason they don't do it. That, and the development of the game might be delayed if they made polls for too many things, because polls require time to grab enough samples.

Regards.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Pretty sure it will be good. All of their mvs releases post Last Hope are a good indication. A few weeks after it is released we will see WTB threads, guaranteed.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Pretty sure it will be good. All of their mvs releases post Last Hope are a good indication. A few weeks after it is released we will see WTB threads, guaranteed.

proabably, but considering there's ppl here who are willing to buy it just to keep from having a gap in their collection, that's not really an indication of quality.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Take your medication and shut the fuck off. 150 families and 3 newborn will be glad of it.

What about the 60 million who died in world war II that this game is based on? Maybe you will be able to laugh about Germanwings in 50 years time.

Shut the fuck off you too and take your butt hurt to Nintendoage.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I wish them the best success on this release. I really hope it's awesome, and people love it, and there are nothing but WTB posts and people going on and on about how great it is when it finally gets released. I really hope for all of that, cause NG Dev are good people. I just have zero interest in another game so similar in style to Metal Slug for the Neo. No hate, no ill will, just simply not interested in this one and will be waiting to see what they drop next.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I wish them the best success on this release. I really hope it's awesome, and people love it, and there are nothing but WTB posts and people going on and on about how great it is when it finally gets released. I really hope for all of that, cause NG Dev are good people. I just have zero interest in another game so similar in style to Metal Slug for the Neo. No hate, no ill will, just simply not interested in this one and will be waiting to see what they drop next.

I understand that there is disappointment in regards to the art style. Certainly, similar to Metal Slug. As long as gameplay holds up and the animations/sprites are solid, I will be fine if it looks like a Korean knock off of Metal Slug. SNK isn't making more Metal Slugs, so I look forward to any new, yet similar experiences.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Timm asked me to post this here.

Here's a rework they did of the character art based on the feedback they've received so far:

CBfi0XnWUAEKAuD.png

..and their announcement on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ngdevteam/status/583184067241369600

Ukyo

20 Year Member
I'm assuming this is their april fools joke; but I hope they make it playable via code.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I like the chickishness personally. And you have to admit, it looks a lot less like Metal Slug.