Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I don't know why an obviously talented outfit such as ngdev would go out of their way to make something so blatantly similar to Metal Slug.

They are technically talented, yes, but they lack knowledge in design and audio-visual presentation. On a pure practical level, copying the designs of others is less time consuming and lets them focus on their technical skills, like achieving 60 frames per second with Kraut Buster, tons of moving objects without slowdown in most of their shoot'em-ups etc. They should team up with some design gurus of the past, like Thalion and become their disciples. Then, I could imagine, their game design could evolve into something more original.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
They are technically talented, yes, but they lack knowledge in design and audio-visual presentation. On a pure practical level, copying the designs of others is less time consuming and lets them focus on their technical skills, like achieving 60 frames per second with Kraut Buster, tons of moving objects without slowdown in most of their shoot'em-ups etc. They should team up with some design gurus of the past, like Thalion and become their disciples. Then, I could imagine, their game design could evolve into something more original.

That's an interesting point. Would also work for me if they where to buy the rights to something like Demon Front or Cyber Lip and make an official sequel, non officially for the neo geo (or pgm). At least it would be part of an established franchise. But obviously it would be so much better that they could come up with something original.
Then again whatever, if it's fun more power to you. How's that for flip floppery?

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I think these ngdev homebrews are sacrelege but putting that aside honest question: why does the title include Japanese writing if this game is wholly produced in Europe?
Also what is the appeal to buyers and would be players that this game and the past releases are so strongly reminiscent of other games that they vere towards rip-off territory? Not trolling, just wanting a serious response. So much time and effort put into a game that emulates a perfectly realised game series of yesretyeay.

I think most people that buy/collect AES stuff tend to stick with the Japanese version because they're cheaper. I know that's why I get the Japanese versions of NGDev games.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I buy the Japanese versions because they're what my waifu prefers

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
But obviously it would be so much better that they could come up with something original.

I fully agree, but they would need some input from outside. Unfortunately there's no demo scene for the Neo-Geo, that kind of creative pool like the Amiga/Atari ST scene had. A place where you could just do all sorts of things without economical fears or bankruptcy nightmares. The Devs found a profitable niche, where they hold a monopole, but the lack of competition and/or feedback from other coders is clearly a dead end for developing original ideas.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Damn did they only have like 5 copies available or something? o_O

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
They had at least 10 since at the beginning there was no "X left". I saw it at 6 left.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I don't understand why they're limiting pre-orders.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I don't understand why they're limiting pre-orders.

Maybe they’ve got a target order size and the available preorders were just available due to cancellations.

Edit: site says there's a jamma version coming in 2019. They haven't done that before have they?

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Maybe they’ve got a target order size and the available preorders were just available due to cancellations.

Edit: site says there's a jamma version coming in 2019. They haven't done that before have they?

Nope. They've mentioned they're working on a JAMMA platform and that is how Neo XYX will be re-released. It was sounding like they were no longer going to support the Neo after KB, but I recall a few months ago them talking about/showing new pics of a PCB they're working on for the Neo. I thought they even talked about wifi on the cart IIRC. So--who knows.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Timm said they were running low on cart shells.

seems to me like they want this cart not only to look and feel like MS but also to cost as much, since supply is low and demand moderately high, elasticity of demand

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If they could manage to fulfill just 20% of the hype this hold time creates, it will instantly be a good game.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I was still planning to buy this, so yeah. They should print more. No offense to anyone who already helped fund the game by preordering. Those folks are already guaranteed a cart anyway.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
25 more MVS carts available (just before they ship in September) - if you missed the initial ones, now is your time.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Pre-ordered. My brother's floating me the money for my half since I can't spend the money right now.